Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Electrician moving there

Options
  • 22-04-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi folks,

So myself and my girlfriend are heading to Canada in Feb 2013 and I'm a bit apprehensive to say the least.

I just qualified as a sparks there in February, and shes in retail (no college degree was doing marketing but dropped out after 2 years)

Basically just wanted to get feedback off people who are there or who are going.

I've read a good bit about the red seal exam and it all sounds very daunting as I wouldnt say I have the 9000hours worked up. (probably about 7000 or so)
    Also I wouldnt speak to any of my previous employers. most of them gone bust, are generally just assholes and no contact numbers etc.
    Is it only the major cities that are really serious about these regulations?
    Im not pushed about where we go anything is better then this godforsaken island. I presume it would be more difficult to find work in more densely populated areas like Toronto etc. I wouldnt even mind working on the 4th year rate but is the money ok? I dont mind even just having enough funds to pay the rent and to feed ourselves. Not going there for a holiday just for a better standard of life in general and to have a relatively stable career.

Anybody been to Alberta or BC? or any good spots to reside in?

Any information on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishoverseas

Jay.D87 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

So myself and my girlfriend are heading to Canada in Feb 2013 and I'm a bit apprehensive to say the least.

I just qualified as a sparks there in February, and shes in retail (no college degree was doing marketing but dropped out after 2 years)

Basically just wanted to get feedback off people who are there or who are going.

I've read a good bit about the red seal exam and it all sounds very daunting as I wouldnt say I have the 9000hours worked up. (probably about 7000 or so)
    Also I wouldnt speak to any of my previous employers. most of them gone bust, are generally just assholes and no contact numbers etc.
    Is it only the major cities that are really serious about these regulations?
    Im not pushed about where we go anything is better then this godforsaken island. I presume it would be more difficult to find work in more densely populated areas like Toronto etc. I wouldnt even mind working on the 4th year rate but is the money ok? I dont mind even just having enough funds to pay the rent and to feed ourselves. Not going there for a holiday just for a better standard of life in general and to have a relatively stable career.

Anybody been to Alberta or BC? or any good spots to reside in?

Any information on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

James.

James go for it! I moved to calgary alberta a couple of years ago and love it. there is so much work here honestly. you would have no problem getting full time work here and dont be worrying about the red seal. if youre qualified you will be sound and the company will send you to school to get the full paperwork. wages are excellent, its similar size to dublin and thereis a great work life balance. i m in construction presently so try to avoid toronto its too big and you ll get swallowed up,m similar for vancouver...too many out hunting for jobs. anywhere in alberta province is where its happening. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jay.D87

Cool thanks for that!!! Yeah Calgary seems to be the place to be alright!

My partner is in sales/retail and shes worried she wont get a job but I have assured her she will be fine...

Yeah I hope I can sit the red seal exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Hi guys,i was just wondering the same,would there be much jobs in calgary for plumbers,i am qualified and have around 10000 hours done,what would the hourly rate be for plumers in canada?thanks all

Advertisement