Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Written Lyrics- Getting it composed and making money off it

• 22-04-2012 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I am just wondering, I have written song lyrics in the past, just have no composition to go with it, or anything.

I'm wondering what kind of avenues are there to getting them composed/ possibly selling them on to a band who could then put a melody and a voice to it, and making money as a percentage of money's earned by them, if published as part of a recording and then being sold?
    Any advice appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Meehanmeehan

They better be have commercial value and you'd better know the right people in the industry.
    As in people who's job is putting pop acts together.

You could always consider joining as a lyricist of a gigging band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They better be have commercial value and you'd better know the right people in the industry.
    As in people who's job is putting pop acts together.

You could always consider joining as a lyricist of a gigging band.

Thanks for reply. I know one or two in industry. However I would not like to go down the pop root, I want to stay true to my musical influences, and going down the pop root for the sake of making money would feel like a sell out. I think they have potential commerical value in terms of thoughtfully construed and thought out. I have a few fully devolped lyrics written out, some which I have gone back to after a time, to improve and fix the flow of how I want it to sound, I try to imagine it in my head and then revise it, and then other times, I just get a flash and I write it down, with a beat in mind sometimes. How can you go about joining as a lyricist of a gigging band? This sounds interesting? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Meehanmeehan

Well most bands pick their members on their ability with their instruments, a guitarist's lead skills or a singer's voice etc, not on songwriting ability.
    Most then end up with at least one member (usually the singer) with some interest in writing lyrics but there's bound to be some with no songwriter that'd be willing to take someone on dedicated to writing lyrics.

How to find one, you'll just have to advertise in the musician section here or post ads on other musicians sites, they've all got classifieds.
    I take it you don't plan on singing anything yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hey, cheers... no, I'm not a great singer, or otherwise I could have more room to maneouvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

I think the most official way to do it ( so i was told in college) is to sign up to a publishing company. They'll manage your songs, get them out there- if successful you'll get your cut which is 50% as far as i remember and they'll get theirs. Maybe try a google search for such companies? Also make sure you set up an IMRO account!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Sorry just read the OP again.. these would have to be full songs.. (vocal and one instrument would suffice) Lyrics alone wouldn't cut it. You'd have to partner up with a singer / musician if you don't sing. If it was your melody you could just pay them for the vocal session and take your full cut from publishers but if they put in the melody then they'll be needing a cut.

This is assuming you're successful! Good luck!

Advertisement