Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to work following illness

Options
  • 22-04-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been out of work for 12 months now following an operation, both I and my GP feel I'm ready to get out there and return to work (if I'm lucky).

I'm kinda stuck as to how I can address this "absence" on a C.V./Cover Letter to prospective employers?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Luckily for you, the recession means that a 1-year gap isn't such an issue anymore.

Don't mention it in the cover letter - don't give them any excuse not to select you for interview.

If you have kids you could just write it down as "family responsibilities" or similar on your CV.

Are you doing anything else (study, volunteer work, etc) to keep you occupied? Make sure you mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I wouldn't draw attention to it but if asked I would just tell them the truth. Everyone is within their rights to be ill. Happily you're recovered and your first thought is to go back to work so that's a positive! :)

Advertisement