Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry predictions????

• 22-04-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Any help is appreciated!!! I'm pretty screwed in this subject ..... Got 14% in my mocks....I do higher level (no clue why) and I'm aiming for a low high D or low C in this subject. What sections to do? Experiments to look over?

Any help please guys!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Your best bet would be to learn the experiments (in general, it's difficult to predict with them) and organic chemistry. Org. Chemistry makes up a huge percentage of the paper and usually one, if not two of the experiments. Also I'd recommend studying the La Chatelier chapter and all of the Chem History as they're pretty much guaranteed questions.

Have you been putting in work since the mock? I don't want to sound like I'm judging you here but is it really in your best interest to do HL? If you fail then you'll get no points when you may have been able to do reasonably well on the pass paper.

Anyway, you probably know all of this already but I hope I helped somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭cathal_flynn

Your best bet would be to learn the experiments (in general, it's difficult to predict with them) and organic chemistry. Org. Chemistry makes up a huge percentage of the paper and usually one, if not two of the experiments. Also I'd recommend studying the La Chatelier chapter and all of the Chem History as they're pretty much guaranteed questions.

Have you been putting in work since the mock? I don't want to sound like I'm judging you here but is it really in your best interest to do HL? If you fail then you'll get no points when you may have been able to do reasonably well on the pass paper.

Anyway, you probably know all of this already but I hope I helped somewhat.

Cheers , started studying last week....but didn't get any chemistry done due to Irish orals and a pretty big history test ....I really wanna put the effort in and get a C in higher now :) thanks for your help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I just barely passed my mock(41%).My teacher is soo bad and everyone hates chemistry in my class now :P I am fairly good at it and need a B3 or at least a C1! So I am focusing on heats of reactions,atomic theory and stuff,titration experiments,organic practicals,equilibrium and all the other little chapters...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Water is also a good chapter to do if you have the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭cathal_flynn

Thanks lads/ladies .....keep coming with those small questions that come up each year please! :)

BTW I know how you feel one person in my chemistry class passed out of all 11 of us ...our teacher is terrible!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Thanks lads/ladies .....keep coming with those small questions that come up each year please! :)

BTW I know how you feel one person in my chemistry class passed out of all 11 of us ...our teacher is terrible!!!!

Ye 3 of us out of like nearly 20 passed :P Also maybe have a look at radioactivity,electrolysis and oxidation numbers they seem to come up frequently :D Btw how do you find organic chem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Hey if you need any help on any topic (anyone) PM me as our teacher is amazing! Like she is unbelievably good, if not one of the best in Ireland in maths/chem.

If I were you, learn rate of reactions titrations, organic, heats and history. These are up almost every year and constitute a good part of the paper.

if you are good at maths, definitely do equilibrium gas laws and pH too.

Water is a very handy chapter, but i don't like it at all:-( it's almost a full question every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Got 85 in the mocks, I generally study up ALL the experiments and do all 3 experiment questions. Then do question 4 which has bits of all the course which you can generally bluff. Theres always an equilibrium question which is pretty much the same every year. Then hopefully there will be a fuels question and rates of reaction or something. I skip ALL of organic , apart from the experiments :P.

Also my teacher keeps saying the Winkler experiment is coming up, dunno if she's just guessing or what but it's worth a look I'd say

I agree with doing all 3 experiment questions too.

Also, if you have time at the end, I'd do another question. Then, the examiner has two choices for your paper, :
    • 1 Mark 3 experiment questions and then 5 from general theory (if you scored higher in the third experiment than a corresponding theory)
    • 2 Mark 2 from experiment and then 6 from theory (vice versa to the other one)

I did all the questions on our mock and had about 15 mins to spare. I got 98%. There is no real rush on that paper most of the time, but don't go over the recommended time limit per question. Also, We're blessed by having the marks right on the page per question so remember

3 marks = 1 collective piece of information

Also, I wouldn't recommend leaving out Organic. It can pop up anywhere! You could be asked in moles/stoichiometry to name this compound eg. C4H8O << We did a question in school today and it was from an empirical formula whose Mr was 72 and to name this compound.

Little Test
    What's the compound ;) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Hayezer wrote: »
    Got 85 in the mocks, I generally study up ALL the experiments and do all 3 experiment questions. Then do question 4 which has bits of all the course which you can generally bluff. Theres always an equilibrium question which is pretty much the same every year. Then hopefully there will be a fuels question and rates of reaction or something. I skip ALL of organic , apart from the experiments :P.

Also my teacher keeps saying the Winkler experiment is coming up, dunno if she's just guessing or what but it's worth a look I'd say

Is that not a huge risk skipping organic? You're really minimising your options on the day without it!

Anyway, my teachers tipping the experiment about the molecular mass of a liquid for q.3, I think a full water question could come up as well at q.7 or q.8

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Ally7 wrote: »
    Is that not a huge risk skipping organic? You're really minimising your options on the day without it!

Anyway, my teachers tipping the experiment about the molecular mass of a liquid for q.3, I think a full water question could come up as well at q.7 or q.8
    I'd be inclined to agree with the water chapter....our teacher is expecting a good part of a question on hardness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kel_lawd

It'd be funny if soap came up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

ChemHickey wrote: »

Also, if you have time at the end, I'd do another question. Then, the examiner has two choices for your paper, :
    • 1 Mark 3 experiment questions and then 5 from general theory (if you scored higher in the third experiment than a corresponding theory)

I did all the questions on our mock and had about 15 mins to spare. I got 98%. There is no real rush on that paper most of the time, but don't go over the recommended time limit per question. Also, We're blessed by having the marks right on the page per question so remember

Also, I wouldn't recommend leaving out Organic. It can pop up anywhere! You could be asked in moles/stoichiometry to name this compound eg. C4H8O << We did a question in school today and it was from an empirical formula whose Mr was 72 and to name this compound.

Little Test

is it butanal?

edit: what am I saying, of course it's butanal.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

ChemHickey wrote: »

Little Test

Butanone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Butanone?

isn't it butanal AND butanone? ketone/aldehyde structural isomers and such

Yer both right! =D

I can't remember who's more right as there was a continuation of the question which did distinguish it from the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

finality wrote: »
    isn't it butanal AND butanone? ketone/aldehyde structural isomers and such

I think so :D My organic's not the best

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Worried101

This is soooo helpful!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nayrneleh

I got 38% in my mocks and have worked a lot since then, not really sure what to focus on for this exam though. I'm studying the experiments well, as well as water, organics, but not sure what else to focus on...

Advertisement