Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Questions

Options
  • 22-04-2012 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm just looking for some advice and guidance in relation to Canada. And sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this...

First off I'm 24 and I've nearly been unemployed for 12 months now, I was previously in Australia and I hated nearly ever minute of it. I found it very hard to get a job, didn't like the people and the Irish over there have a serious problem with alcohol. I only lasted 4 months in Australia, before coming home.

I am just wondering, is it possible to go to Canada for 12 months and find work there and after the 12 months have money saved up, and work from there.

What kind of jobs are available in Canada? I can read the media and only hear what I heard before I went to Australia, when in fact me and a few others have found it next to impossible to get work over in Australia.

I found it so hard in Australia, mainly because I wasn't from the construction industry, but it would have been nice to have been told that before I went. Also I don't drive...

If I were to go to Canada, would I find as difficult to get work? I've over 4 years experience in the retail sector as well as a business degree...

Cheers in advance for your help:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

To be honest I really don't know...

A part of me would like a nice 9-5, and another part would like a lowly menial job like working in the Candian version of HMV...

But I don't know much about Canada, so I don't know what kind of jobs are going and what way they think of the Irish...

One thing I've promised myself, is that I won't repeat my Australia experience...

Were in Oz were you? How long did you stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Your not the only lad who doesn't like it or couldn't get a job here!

I suggest you go to Canada, get a job on a ski slope and have a load a fun!
    Apply for the IEC program as soon as possible and get on with it! 2 very different countries so you won't repeat your Australian experience! Although you may not like it either!

Ive not been to Canada yet but I'd be fairly confident there isn't the armies of Irish going around like they are in Australia!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishoverseas

I would definately give Canada the thumbs up. I ve been here for almost 2 years now and there are so many oppertunities that you would have no problem picking up a job. Alberta is the best province at the moment and Calgary probably the best city. Everyone heads to vancouver or toronto but give them a swerve. I got the permanent residence before i travelled but it can take over a year. you apply online and it doesnt cost much as long as your occupation is on the list youre sorted. www.gc.ca will give you all the info you need. As i said, lots of work and the wages are good. The people are welcoming, the mountains are an hour away, its cold in the winter and hot in the summer, they have a stampede festival for 10 days in july and Garth Brooks is playing here this year. I t will be mental. Get over here anyone who wants a good time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I went to Canada because Australia had zero appeal to me. I would take what you read in the media about Canada with a grain of salt. There are jobs there but they are not falling out of the sky like RTE would have you believe. You'd probably get one but maybe not straight away. I only knew of 1 person when I was in Canada that couldn't get a job but the guy pretty much drank his money away in the first few weeks. There isn't many Irish in Canada, they give out about 5,000 WHVs to Irish people compared to about 20,000 WHVs Australia gives to Irish people. Most of the Irish people are concentrated in Vancouver and Toronto. Most of the other Irish people I met in Vancouver were sound but there were a few knob heads as well. I only met 1 other Irish person when I was living in Alberta. Canada is the 2nd biggest country in the world so lots of places to choose from.

If you're looking for work I'd suggest Alberta. I worked at a lodge in the Rockies for a few months. I didn't have to pay for rent, bills or food. There wasn't many places to spend your money locally either so I managed to save 10k and travelled across America for 2 months. A lot of the ski hills would offer the same kind of deal, no rent, no bills and free food. If you were working retail in Toronto or Vancouver you would not save a whole lot to be honest, they're really expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 damob9

I would definately give Canada the thumbs up. I ve been here for almost 2 years now and there are so many oppertunities that you would have no problem picking up a job. Alberta is the best province at the moment and Calgary probably the best city. Everyone heads to vancouver or toronto but give them a swerve. I got the permanent residence before i travelled but it can take over a year. you apply online and it doesnt cost much as long as your occupation is on the list youre sorted. www.gc.ca will give you all the info you need. As i said, lots of work and the wages are good. The people are welcoming, the mountains are an hour away, its cold in the winter and hot in the summer, they have a stampede festival for 10 days in july and Garth Brooks is playing here this year. I t will be mental. Get over here anyone who wants a good time
    Hi irishoverseas,
    I was just wondering if you had any info on the construction industry in Calgary. Does the winter weather bring it to a halt or do they just work through it. I have an interview with a company from Calgary in a few weeks and I'm hoping to make the move over as soon as possible if I get the job. There sems to be plenty going on there, how have you found the move.
    Thanks Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

I'm involved (not a trade) in the construction industry in Alberta and I had
    the same question about work stopping for the winter, well it doesn't except
    for the concrete pouring that is. Amazingly they will wrap the building in a
    quilt over the scaffolding and heat the whole place with big gas heaters, I
    was on a site visit and it was 25 below and once we walked under the quilt
    it was off with the jacket.:cool:

to be honest (for me anyhow) the money gets better the further from
    Calgary I seem to go

From the sounds of it, the majority of work is in the construction industry yeah?

kiwijbob wrote: »
    I'm involved (not a trade) in the construction industry in Alberta and I had
    the same question about work stopping for the winter, well it doesn't except
    for the concrete pouring that is. Amazingly they will wrap the building in a
    quilt over the scaffolding and heat the whole place with big gas heaters, I
    was on a site visit and it was 25 below and once we walked under the quilt
    it was off with the jacket.:cool:

to be honest (for me anyhow) the money gets better the further from
    Calgary I seem to go

Thanks for the info kiwijbob, is canada treating you all right?

• Advertisement

From the sounds of it, the majority of work is in the construction industry yeah?
    Hi have a look on service canada lots of info and links and a finding a job section that links to job bank

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mitty87

Hey I have a question on gaining employment in the legal sector in Calgary, I have hons LLB and I have just about 2 years experience working in the legal sector - both public and private. I am wondering if anyone knows about the CORES course and the Corporate Registry Training and Accreditation Program. I am considering registering, and I only have tomorrow to register for the course that starts on the 4th May in SAIT. I am arriving in Calgary on the 1st May. I spoke to a co-ordinator for the course and was told that there was 10 spaces left and it costs $449 - What I am asking if it is worth taking the course its only 10hrs spaced over 2 days - do employers want this course? ITs a lot of money and I am trying to be as cautious as possible!! any advice appreciated!

How much money would be needed to head off to Canada, between visa,flights and money in the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

How much money would be needed to head off to Canada, between visa,flights and money in the bank?

Varies wildly on location, prospects, lifestyle and the person themselves really. Theres a big difference arriving in Toronto with 3 grand than arriving in Regina with the same amount

retalivity wrote: »
    Varies wildly on location, prospects, lifestyle and the person themselves really. Theres a big difference arriving in Toronto with 3 grand than arriving in Regina with the same amount

Well at the moment, I'll be arriving into Toronto, but will be staying with family...

Now this is only a work in process in terms of a plan...not looking to go until about this time next year, just looking for something to build towards...after I get a job here that is:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I know this is a very broad question but basically we're a couple in our mid 20's so we wouldnt be looking to live in a frat house or hostel and not loaded so can't afford a luxury apartment.

What are their city centre flats/apartments like for a couple in their mid 20's? Would only need to be a one bed but would need a bathroom and kitchen at least.

What about these basement house floors things in the suburbs? What are they? Is the suburbs safe as in walking down the street? wouldnt be attacked/mugged even coming home in the late night? Do they have a version of the DART or LUAS (Train/tram) direct to the centre for jobs/shopping/nightlife?

Lastly Vancouver, Calgary or Toronto?

We've chosen Vancouver as seems more laidback than Toronto and its close to Seattle for numerous other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

Im with ya skywalker, myself and my mid 20s GF are both going to VA in August.

We saw those basement apartments too and were curious. I assume they're just basements converted in to studio apartments. I can see them getting quite stuffy and although, at the start you'll be out exploring, after a few months you'll be spending more time in the house. Apparently the vast majority of rent cycles start at the start of the month so it's advised that you go over mid month so you have 2 weeks to find permanent accommodation.

Don’t venture further east than Hastings and Main St, particularly after dark. It’s nothing to worry about, just be aware and the locals will fill you in!

http://workingholidayincanada.com/14...accommodation/

VA has the sky train which I guess would be their verison of the lluas
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTrain_(Vancouver)

I lived in a basement in Vancouver. There was a family living in the main house upstairs. Price depends on the area really. I was paying 650 but the area was nice and I was 3 blocks from the beach and I was a 20 minute walk from another beach. We didn't have a living room and the kitchen was tiny but my bedroom was massive and easily accommodated a couch so friends could call over. I was single at the time so it suited my needs but if I was with someone it wouldn't have been ideal. Vancouver is like any other city really, some suburbs have better reputations than others. Vancouver has a skytrain and the best bus system I've ever seen. It's easy to get around. Vancouver is safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if any job will do then you'll find minimum wage work at tim hortons in a flash. it's a very popular coffee shop over here, and they literally hire almost everyone who applies

• Registered Users Posts: 2 musicculture

"If you're looking for work I'd suggest Alberta. I worked at a lodge in the Rockies for a few months. I didn't have to pay for rent, bills or food. There wasn't many places to spend your money locally either so I managed to save 10k and travelled across America for 2 months. A lot of the ski hills would offer the same kind of deal, no rent, no bills and free food. If you were working retail in Toronto or Vancouver you would not save a whole lot to be honest, they're really expensive.[/QUOTE]

Where is a good place to look for such a ski job that you speak of and what kind of Job did you do or what kind of jobs are there?

• Advertisement

Where is a good place to look for such a ski job that you speak of and what kind of Job did you do or what kind of jobs are there?

Google places like Sunshine Village and Norquay in Banff. There's a few places in BC as well. The winter resorts probably won't be recruiting again until September. I worked at a summer resort. I worked in the kitchen at the lodge and I also worked at the lodge's canoe dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 musicculture

ok and what resort did you work at and what websites would you recommend for such jobs?

Also i just completed my degree in music culture which is a arts degree basically, Id love to go to canada and work as ive no intrest in oz or nz , but feel I could not do anything related to my degree in canada (film, media or music industry) and that id jst be doing odd jobs here and there? what would your advice be?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

Toronto's version of the Luas is the GO trains and buses. They will bring you into and out of downtown, to the suburbs. http://www.gotransit.com The trains run east and west, and north, they are double-decker cars.

Basement apartments... the basement is not usually finished at the same time the house is built, so some basements are better done up than others. If you get a damp or mouldy smell, find a different place. The good thing is, basements will stay cool in the summer without needing air conditioning. I used to live in an apartment without air conditioning and it was stifling in the summer.

musicculture, maybe you could work at the TIFF film festival in Toronto in September. I have no idea what jobs they have to be honest though. To get a job in the media, you need to network and intern and volunteer - to work in TV anyhow.

ok and what resort did you work at and what websites would you recommend for such jobs?

Also i just completed my degree in music culture which is a arts degree basically, Id love to go to canada and work as ive no intrest in oz or nz , but feel I could not do anything related to my degree in canada (film, media or music industry) and that id jst be doing odd jobs here and there? what would your advice be?

I worked at Moraine Lake. I'm not really surewhat websites are best for these kind of jobs, I saw the job advertised on Facebook. Try something like goski.ca for the ski and snowboarding resorts in Canada. Here is a list of specialty lodgings in Alberta http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotels-g154909-c3-Alberta-Hotels.html

I'd say just email the lodges and ask if they are recruiting or when they will be recruiting. Other websites Canadians use for jobs are Craigslist, workopolis, kijiji etc.

There is a big film industry in Vancouver. I have no idea how to get a job in it or even where to look but I'd imagine it's competitive. My background is publishing but I couldn't get a fulltime permanent job in that area in Vancouver and I was odd jobbing. I'm almost glad I didn't get a proper job in Vancouver. I went to the Rockies and had and unforgettable few months in the most beautiful place I've ever seen. I think it was a bit different to what most of the Irish do in Canada as well. If you've just finished college you're probably young with no big committments in Ireland. You might as well chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I've been looking around the past few days and Canada is looking better and better by the day. Had a look on Craigslist earlier and seen quite a few jobs that I'd apply for. Great wage on offer made them even more attractive. Then I had a look for places to live (moreso for an idea of prices) and seen the rent ranges reasonable to huge so that's not much of a problem either. Didn't bother looking for a car since I don't even have a licence, I intend to get one here though.

My question is about the actual visa's. I want the permanent one and am elibable under skilled labour. Other than being short of the minimum finances they say, I check every other box. So in regards applying, what's it like? Does it cost much to get everything needed? I know you need a language test that's about €200 but is that it? There is a whole heap of paperwork that I just skimmed since I'm not applying right now, I'm just curious as to what I can expect it to cost me and if there is anything I should look out for.

Advertisement