Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openstreetmap - Mapping Galway City

Options

Comments

I'll defiantly concede that coverage can be spotty due to lack of contributors on the ground, however where resources (free imagery, out-of-copyright maps, local knowledge) are available a huge amount of mapping has been done.

One example I love to use as an example is the Cavan area. If you look you can see where the satellite imagery ends and the massive difference between the two areas.

OSM will always be a work in progress. Take my efforts for Galway. I plan on having the major elements mapped out before the end of the summer but where I want to get to is something along the lines of Clacton-on-Sea in England or, well, basically anywhere in Germany, Poland, Holland etc where OSM has overtaken all other maps in terms of detail and accuracy.

Long way to go, but its a hobby and if my hobby can benefit others, all the better :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

But in the UK the Ordnance Survey gave OSM quite alot of data to start with whereas here the Ordnance Survey didn't.

Once the high res Bing imagery appears inside the editor then tracing will be a doddle.

To ad your bit of Galway now ...simply register and have a look at the editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    To ad your bit of Galway now ...simply register and have a look at the editor.

Actually any OpenID compliant account will work, so if you have a gmail/google account (required for android) you can just login and get started.

Took a drive up to Merlin Park today after work and it was worth it. there's a whole new building up there.

I've updated the map to remove all but the main parking areas, should look a bit neater. Also, got all the details for all the buildings up there, including some that were on a side road that i hadn't noticed.

Anyway, you can now see the updated layout here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Thanks thats actually really helpful I'm there tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I am working my way around Galway city mapping as much of it as possible at the moment. I have done many hours of driving around getting traces and making notes of road names, estate names and locations of businesses etc.

Any requests as to areas. I'm home this weekend and might be able to help some with the eastern half of town.

Edit - I've started adding stuff in Mervue/Ballybane/Ballybrit from memory.

thats great. Yeah, any bits you can add, like the details of businesses etc, would be great as there's still lots I miss when I'm driving around

I'm taking a break for 2 weeks due to end of year exams, however just an update for anyone that is interested

Mervue, Renmore, Murrough, Merlin, Riverside and the west side of Ballybane road done for all residential areas.

Also, the following commercial areas are now on the map in detail (might have been there previously, just lacking detail)
    Ballybane Ind Est
    Ballybrit Ind Est
    Glenrock Business Park
    City East Business Park
    Upper Ballybrit Ind est
    Oldenway Business Park
    Liosbaun Ind Est
    Sandy road Ind Est

If anyone works in any of those, I would appreciate any help in tagging the businesses in those areas. You can even use Walking Papers which will make it easiesr, or even easier still, mark it on walking papers and email me the scans and I'll make the updates to www.openstreetmap.org for you.

At this stage East of the Corrib is about 50% done.

You can see the current state here

Hey folks, back after the exams.

Just a quick update on where this is at.

I've added a wiki page to the OSM wiki for tracking the progress of Galway for anyone who is interested. There you will be able to see my particular approach and the items I am going after. Anyone can edit that page and add their own details if you so wish.

Since I've been away I've spotted several new people mapping around Galway, awesome to see. Don't be shy, once you get started you'll see it's insanely easy.

In terms of housing estates this is the current progress:
    • Mervue - Complete
    • Riverside - Complete
    • Rahoon - Complete
    • Merlin Park - Complete
    • Wellpark - Complete
    • Knocknacarra - Complete - Check out this area as an example
    • Newcastle - 90% Complete
    • Bohermore - 40% Complete
    • Ballybane - 60% Complete
    • Ballybrit - 50% Complete
    • Shantalla - 30% Complete
    • Terryland - 50% Complete
    • Claddagh - 30% Complete
    • Salthill - 60% Complete
    • Bushypark - 90% Complete
    • Dangan - 90% Complete
    • Doughiska - 50% Complete
    • Roscam - 50% Complete
    • Menlo - 40% Complete

As of last night I have traced every single housing estate in Galway bar the few around Bohermore, probably end up doing those on the bike as it'll be easier with traffic.

I've also gone around every business and industrial park I could find and gotten the names and locations of all the businesses and factories etc that I could find

What the above 2 bits mean is, I have the information needed for the above, just need to get it added to the map.

Lastly, I have started tracing the buildings in the city center and adding details where I know them, mostly around Eyre Square so far.

I've been thinking of maybe doing one or two informal classes if anyone is interested. It would be free of charge and likely on a weekend or an evening midweek, depending on what suits people, I'm easy either way.

What I would love to get is 5-10 people to do a mapping party in a month or two where we could blitz all of Galway city center in 1 day to record every shop, office, historical location, cafe, wifi spot etc etc

Anyway, if anyone is interested just say so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

just downloaded this OSM editor app for Android, it's working very well so far & once logged in any changes are easily uploaded :)

OSMapTuner, from here: http://osmaptuner.salzburgresearch.at

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

Same, I got in 2 weeks ago to try it out, way easier to use than vespucci but still more difficult than on a PC/laptop :(

On a plus note, since I started this thread there's been a burst of activity in Galway on OSM

205424.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Just a quick note to thank the guys that are working on this and DaCor specifically, because I had to go down to Merlin Park Hosp. today and was in a hurry (nothing serious) and wouldn't have had a clue where I was going only for I remembered that DaCor mapped it out.

Thanks a million.

I helped out a small bit, with other places, but I don't really want to be adding stuff unless I'm 100% certain of it.

The Bing High res imagery that we can trace off was promised for June 2012. Patience. :)

The Bing High res imagery that we can trace off was promised for June 2012. Patience. :)

What sort of coverage would the Bing imagery have? Is it the existing ones that are live on Bing now? They stop in Furbo, which is disappointing.

The existing ones seem out by a few metres and tracing off them can be inaccurate, no matter for boreens and trails but for buildings ???

The new aerials will be high res aerial ( not satellite) and substantially better than the c 7 year old imagery that is there now as it was done since early 2011. Promised by end June by Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

What sort of coverage would the Bing imagery have? Is it the existing ones that are live on Bing now? They stop in Furbo, which is disappointing.

You can see current Bing imagery coverage here:

http://ant.dev.openstreetmap.org/bingimageanalyzer/?lat=53.12626511169192&lon=-7.051084605974656&zoom=8

The big blocks in the Midlands. Wexford and Belfast are the newer 30cm imagery part of Bing's/DigitalGlobe's GlobalOrtho (now renamed to Precision Aerial) project. Project was initially slated to be complete in US and Western Europe end of June 2012.

I don't think they'll get there in time - they still have substantial areas in Ireland to acquire.

Apollo mapping have a monthly newsletter which gives a monthly report on their progress:

http://www.apollomapping.com/2012/June/article10.html

Hopefully in next month or two we'll see some updates re Ireland.

D

Seemingly they "Have" West Galway inc City and most of Mayo and will have the rest this year. Bottom of Irljidels link. They got Wexford up fairly sharpish ( less than 2 months I think it took and Wexford Boards users narrowed down the time and date because of schools and churches etc to within an hour. )

DG%20Aerial%20-%20Europe%20Coverage%20Map%20-%205-25-2012.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

At present Galway City has some of the highest resoloution satellite imagery in Ireland however its likely that we will be losing that soon as new imagery is rolled out for all of Ireland.

This is a great idea and I commend you for your dedication to the it. Do we know why the correct images will be lost/removed?

Also is there any stock or archive of older images of streetviews with dates in Galway City? It would be aprticularly useful in tracking unauthorised developments etc. in the town and I would greatly appreciate any pointers for this.

Unfortunately my own 'broadband' is so poor I cannot use any software like you mention. Even boards takes an age to load.

Just a quick note to thank the guys that are working on this and DaCor specifically, because I had to go down to Merlin Park Hosp. today and was in a hurry (nothing serious) and wouldn't have had a clue where I was going only for I remembered that DaCor mapped it out.

Thanks a million.

I helped out a small bit, with other places, but I don't really want to be adding stuff unless I'm 100% certain of it.

Glad to help. Since I started this thread 20 or more people have also contributed to the map for Galway and its surroundings.

I haven't gotten much done over the last month due to work kicking my ass, but one bit that I did may be of use to others here, its details for UCHG.

Fair play to you for adding info, the more the merrier. I've done a serious amount for Galway, but most of that is what I like to think of as "the structure". The fine detail comes from the "crowd sourcing" aspect so anything you (or anyone else) can add is useful.

Adding details like school's, post boxes, church names and denominations, hiking trails, cycle lanes etc etc is what makes OSM powerful. Because all the data is open and fully configurable, if you wanted, you could create a map of the world showing only the locations of clothes shops in Ireland, Hosptials in Europe, Campsites that allow caravans etc etc.
    ladhrann wrote: »
    This is a great idea and I commend you for your dedication to the it. Do we know why the correct images will be lost/removed?

Also is there any stock or archive of older images of streetviews with dates in Galway City? It would be aprticularly useful in tracking unauthorised developments etc. in the town and I would greatly appreciate any pointers for this.

Unfortunately my own 'broadband' is so poor I cannot use any software like you mention. Even boards takes an age to load.

With regards to losing the current imagery, see here

Older imagery of streetview level, sorry I cant help you. I'm sure some is around, just dont have a clue where it would be.

As for you connection, if you use something like JOSM you can do an inital download of an area, work on it to your hearts content for a day or two and then upload. We are talking kb's here, not mb's or gb's so even on dial up a changset with 1,000 modifications wouldnt be more than 2-3 mins on a dial up connection, likely less

To give an example of the possibilities with OSM, please see examples from ITOworld

- Galway Schools
    - Golf courses in Galway City & its environs
    - Sport & recreational facilities in Galway
    - Speed limits in Galway City & County

Anyway, you get the idea. Every link I posted shows an incomplete set of information btw ;)

If you need some real-time help to get you started there's usually ppl online in the irish osm-ie irc channel who'd be more than happy to help.

use this link to connect to irc channel via your web browser

I've never seen anybody online there ever... haha

• Advertisement

Seemingly they "Have" West Galway inc City and most of Mayo and will have the rest this year.

It's a bit mis-leading. On that map "2012" really means "to be done". In Progress will probably be what will turn up next.

However recent bing maps blog post indicates we should have everything by XMAS.

"As of today the Global Ortho project is 85% acquired and published. Just this month, Bing Imagery Technologies hit a significant milestone by completing 100% of aerial photography over the United States. The photography in Europe is slated to be finished by this fall and all updated imagery should be published by the end of 2012."

Looks like DigitalGlobe have acquired most of Galway county. Hopefully will appear on bing maps within a month or so

http://www.digitalglobe.com/downloads/coverage_maps/aoap/aoap_europe/AOAP_Europe_Map_Ireland.pdf

They 'had' it when I posted over two weeks ago here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79308796&postcount=48

Maybe it was too cloudy and needs redoing ....they have standards you know. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

I downloaded NavFree a few days back (an android app which uses OpenStreetMap for sat nav guidance, and allows you to download maps for free offline navigation), searched Rahoon Road, and "Rahoon Road, Claddagh, Galway" came up. Same again for "Tuam Road, Claddagh, Galway". I registered with OSM to see what craic with Claddagh was, and saw that it's the only place in Galway city saved as a suburb - so it's probably assigning most of Galway to it by default.

So I've gone ahead and created a few more suburbs. Specifically Knocknacarra, Rahoon, Salthill, Shantalla, Westide, Newcastle and Dangan on the West side of the city (tried to put the exact spot roughly in the centre of these areas). I wouldn't be as familiar with the East side of the city, but saw that Terryland, Castlegar, Ballybaan and Doughiska were saved as "Hamlets", so I just changed them to suburbs as well.

There are a few more areas that need doing on the East side, e.g. Renmore, Ballybrit, Mervue, ? Merlin Park, but I'll leave somebody else more familiar with those areas stick them in. If I've missed any areas that could be counted as suburbs (e.g. I wasn't too sure about Rockbarton in Salthill), or if any of the points I've marked aren't quite where they should be, please let me know, or else feel free to go ahead and edit away :)

confusedquark, spotted that myself several months ago but work has been crazy so never got around to doing anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are a few more areas that need doing on the East side, e.g. Renmore, Ballybrit, Mervue, ? Merlin Park, but I'll leave somebody else more familiar with those areas stick them in.

If it's any help, I've drawn a map of suburbs from the perspective of where the public transport and "groups of interesting things" are.

I believe that the OSM rules say you cannot copy directly from other sources, but as far as I'm concerned, you're very welcome to use the Galway suburbs map to grow your understanding of the areas.

Unfortunately JustMary, even though you added that informtation to Google maps, copying of that info is not allowed per Google terms of use because of the google map it is layered onto.

What would be created is a "derivative work"
    2. Restrictions on Use. Unless you have received prior written authorization from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of particular Content), you must not:
    (a) copy, translate, modify, or make derivative works of the Content or any part thereof;

"Content" is clarifed further on down the TOS
    4. Content in the Products. Google Maps and Google Earth allow you to access and view a variety of content, including but not limited to photographic imagery, map and terrain data, business listings, reviews, traffic, and other related information provided by Google, its licensors, and its users (the "Content").

This is why, after discussing it with you previously, I was not able to use your bus route info in OSM. The above was pointed out to me after I mentione dit to someone else

*nudges JM towards OSM* ;)

Due to time constraints (work, study, life in general) I've had very little time to add more detail to the Galway map on OSM over the last 2 months (that didn't stop over a dozen new people adding info though :) ) so I am going to try something a little different.

OSM is about the community creating the map and what I would like to do is every week or two post up a target item to be mapped. For example, schools, ATM's, Hotels, pubs, pharmacy's etc etc.

What i am hoping will happen is all you Galway peeps will map one or two items each and by the time we move on to the next item, the bulk (if not all) of the previous item in Galway should be mapped.

I will provide details on how to do it on each post. I don't know yet if this will be a weekly thing or bi-weekly, probably play it by ear.

Anyway, first one up is ATM's. Currently there are only 7 ATM's showing up on OSM within the Galway City boundary. There most be close to 100 between in shops, garages, shopping centers etc

Target = ATM's

Method - Basic Detail

- Draw an outline of the building if one does not already exist and tag as building=yes
    - If the ATM is on the outside of the building add a node on the outline of the building and tag as amenity=atm
    - If the ATM is on the inside of the building, add a node inside the building and tag as amenity=atm

Add a node for each ATM e.g. there are 2 ATM's at BOI Mainguard Street, so 2 node's should be on the map

You can stop at this point, however, if you know further details you can add them as follows

Method - Greater Detail

Follow the steps above and proceed on to the following
    - Building - If you know any of the following you can add
    addr:street=street name here
    addr:housenumber=digits only e.g. "1" or "1-2" if spans across multiple buildings
    addr:housename=name of building e.g. Lynchs Castle
    If the building is a bank you can add a node to the outline as close to the main entrance as possible with the following tags
    amenity=bank
    name=branch name e.g. Mainguard Street
    operator=AIB, Bank of Ireland etc

- ATM - If you know any of the following you can add:
    operator=AIB, Bank Of ireland etc
    hour_on=HH:MM:SS access restricted at this time (only really applies to ATM's inside buildings)
    hour_off=HH:MM:SS access available from this time (only really applies to ATM's inside buildings)

Thats it, have fun and remember the most important rule, you can not copy from other maps

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

JustMary wrote: »
    If it's any help, I've drawn a map of suburbs from the perspective of where the public transport and "groups of interesting things" are.

I believe that the OSM rules say you cannot copy directly from other sources, but as far as I'm concerned, you're very welcome to use the Galway suburbs map to grow your understanding of the areas.

Very handy map, thumbs up, but as DaCor said, I can't use it for the OSM map. Suburbs are harder to map out, cuz they're not exactly sign-posted on the ground and can be subjective, but I suppose unlike street names, they don't have to be 100% accurate, just so long as you get the general area correct. OSM also allows you to pinpoint a rough centre of a suburb, instead of mapping out the boundaries like you've done, and it doesn't take very long, so I'd echo DaCor and nudge you towards OSM to pinpoint the eastern suburbs on the map that you obviously know very well :)

• Advertisement

It is possible to mark out the exact boundaries for suburbs however it involves setting an admin level for the relation (level 8 or 9 I think) and requires the boundary to be fairly accurate (no use having data in the map that isn't correct)

Same as you, I noticed everything showing up as "Claddagh" and I was in the process of learning how to do it when I realised I couldn't get copyright-free details of where the suburb boundaries are so I parked it

Advertisement