Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openstreetmap - Mapping Galway City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Any idea which part is the Galway film Centre?

Some website pictures I've seen make me think that the Film Centre and GMIT are in the large old Redemptorist builidng, and the Galway Education Centre is a separate entitly in the single story buildings just to the west of of the large building.

But I haven't actually confirmed that with a site visit.

Might take a look at it when I get off work tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Galway film center is based on the ground floor of the wing nearest the road in cluain mhuire

Cheers for that

Took a spin there, Woodlands and the John Paul Centre in Ballybane. Have full traces of all of them now

One question though, Gaelscoil Dara, that's moved to new premises right?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well the piccie on the their website looks like the new building: http://gaelscoildara.scoilnet.ie/blog/

That's all the evidence I have.

• Advertisement

Perfect, thanks, just wasn't sure if I'd gotten it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Some amount of work done guys... wow. You must be motoring through your checklist.

There has been a huge amount done over the last few months by a lot of people. Loads of people signing up and even just adding their local shop or church etc. Not everyone is a major contributor and thats ok too :)

There's a page on the OSM wiki that I setup for Galway, more of a to do list than anything else, but it gives some idea of whats done and whats still to do. Anyone can edit it, just set up a wiki account

One of the harder things is mapping all the business clusters (retail, industrial & commercial) in Galway. I'm slowly working my way through them, however if anyone lives near, or works in, any of these areas, I would appreciate help.

There is also an issue with apartment blocks. It can be very difficult to see any name plates to identify them, so if anyone is currently living in an apartment complex anywhere in the city I'd appreicate you checking to see if its on the map, and if not, go ahead and add it.

Before the end of the year I expect the map of Galway to be up to the level of most other offerings out there. After that, the next steps will involve mapping out bus routes (see Dublin) and cycle lanes (see Oxford)as both of these feed into other versions of the map and also several smartphone apps.

One thing that I'm kicking myself over, is that I never got the irish names of a loads of places when I was doing surveys. I loath the thought of going around all of Galway again to get this detail so if anyone wishs to add info for their area in Irish by all means go ahead, just use "name:ga" instead of "name" and you feed directly into an all irish version of the worldwide map which, unfortunately, is extremely sparse at the moment

Just a quick update on this, or maybe its an end of year summary lol :o

I have finished adding all residential areas that I could find information for (sign's, querries to people passing by, etc).

Any residential roads remaining with no details are ones that I could not get info for at the time of surveying so if people wouldn't mind taking a quick look at their area on the map and let me know if I have mapped anything in error or even better provide information for unmapped parts. In particular I have had a great deal of trouble getting details for apartment blocks as many do not have any signage whatsoever so any help in that regard is appreciated.

With regards further mapping of Galway city, I have moved on to collecting all info I can for businesses, especially where there are clusters of industrial, commercial or retail premises. You can view my progress here. Incidentally, the ones marked pending were all collected today in the space of 45 mins along with everything on Eyre Street using an Android app called OSMTracker using a combination of voice recording and pictures just incase anyone is curious about the methodology ;)

On the list for the new year are bus routes so if anyone feels like adding bus stops and route numbers to the stops I would greatly appreciate it. This will facilitate the use of existing transportation apps for Galway city for your smartphone :cool:

I also plan on putting all cycle lanes, paths, parking etc into the map in the new year so if the Galway cycling folks on this board already have data collected I would really appreciate you sending it my way as it would speed up the process 100 fold. Once this is done it should be possible to use navigation routing for your Sunday cycle ;)

Many thanks to all the folks who have added data to OSM for Galway, as Tesco say "Every little helps" ;)

Out of curiosity I ran some reports on ITOWorld to see what I could find out for Galway with regards to Openstreetmap over the last 12 months. The results really surprised me.

A total of 83 people (honestly thought this figure was going to be in the 20's, maybe 30's :eek:) have made some addition/change/deletion to the map of Galway city in the last 12 months as seen in the image below

231829.jpg

Blue indicates 12+ months old data, every other colour is as indicated in the legend in the top left. Larger version of same image attached incase anyone wants a closer look

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Galway, mainly thanks to the fact that Mackerski and Dacor....2 of the top Irish OSM mappers are or were based here...has a very complete look on OSM compared to a lot of places. More to do of course and more mappers and tracers are always welcome.

But I would think that nobody need use any navigation aid other than Open Street Map in Galway .....today.

That is a great tribute particularly to the 2 characters I mentioned.

Thanks for the nod spongebob but as I found out, there's WAY more than just me and mackerski ;)

You are implying I don't know the difference between 'mainly' and 'only' :D

Seriously, Galway City looks fabulous on OSM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I also plan on putting all cycle lanes, paths, parking etc into the map in the new year so if the Galway cycling folks on this board already have data collected I would really appreciate you sending it my way as it would speed up the process 100 fold. Once this is done it should be possible to use navigation routing for your Sunday cycle ;)

Some schemes for cycling maps have a special symbol for "cycle facilities that are not suitable for cycling". Would there be be something similar available for open street map?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

am finding the new OSM editor for Android very good - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vespucci/Help - it makes editing small things while out & about very straightforward.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Some schemes for cycling maps have a special symbol for "cycle facilities that are not suitable for cycling". Would there be be something similar available. for open street map?

There's definitely stuff like that for OSM. I can't give you a specific answer as I haven't looked too closely at cycling tagging yet.

There is an article a journalist did on cycling across London I think using the same start and end points but using an OSM app configured for cycling Vs Google maps configured for cycling. I'm on the phone now but I'll post a link tomorrow to it.

There's a fair few good things been done with OSM data done for cycling.

jkforde wrote: »
    am finding the new OSM editor for Android very good - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vespucci/Help - it makes editing small things while out & about very straightforward.

Noticed your edits tonight using it. It's handy alright

There is an open cycling map variant of OSM http://www.opencyclemap.org/ it may use extra tags

stack of bus stops etc added in the last day or so, thanks all, especially jkforde

galwaycyclist, to come back to you, here is what I've come across this evening with regards cycling & OSM.

First off a few example maps using OSM data:
    The Opencyclemap layer on the main OSM site provides one example of routes (note I didnt say roads ;) ) with cycle specific tagging. See the difference between Oxford and Galway

http://openrouteservice.org/ - an example of routing for cycling. Chose fastest, shortest, racer or mountainbike. I've linked to Oxford which is one of the better cities set up for cycling on OSM. Have a play around and see how the route changes depending on whether you pick fastest Vs safest

http://www.cyclestreets.net - This is an excellent resource for cycling and OSM. Included on the site is an excellent starter guide to show you how to get setup on OSM and how to make your first edits. it also gives some specifics for cycle mapping. There is also a slidedeck from cyclestreets which was presented at the annual OSM State of the Map conference

http://www.openfietsmap.nl/ - This site provides downloadable maps for Garmin sat nav units with specific cycling maps. Ireland is not currently listed as an option, but I am providing this as an illustration.

http://www.velomap.org/ - another site offering Garmin maps but also allows you to download and display maps on your PC or Mac. Includes some guides also similar to cyclestreets

http://openmtbmap.org/ - Mountain bike specific maps from the same guy who does velomap

http://cycling.waymarkedtrails.org/en/ - map of signposted bike trails around the world

Resources:
    The openstreetmap wiki is where the majority of what you need will be found. It gets into very detailed specifics depending on what you want to tag, e.g. cycle routes & bike lanes, mountain bike routes, bike parking, bike rental, etc etc etc

As I mentioned above, cyclestreets.net have some great bits on how to get started including a printable guide (15mb pdf).

OSM bike path tutorial from Cycleious

Some articles:
    Oxford paper cycle map
    Google maps Vs Cyclestreets: Battle for the best route planner

I would happily meet with you or other Galway cycling folks and show you how to get started if you wanted. To be perfectly honest, me mapping this stuff will end up with only a basic map of all the cycle lanes. you guys mapping it (because you cycle the streets everyday) will result in a map which can be utilsed much better on the likes of smartphone app's, web based maps or printed maps.

A map of all the playgrounds in Galway City. Is the map missing any?

• Advertisement

I don't know about the playgrounds but this map is getting mighty detailed...

Its definitely looking a lot more "full" now that more and more people are adding to it

I have moved to mapping outside the city now. If anyone lives outside the city check out my thread on the Galway county forum

The map of Galway roads, streets & residental areas is now close to 100% however there are a number of areas that I just have not been able to get details for.

Please see the link below. Un-named roads are marked in red. If you know the names of these roads please update the map with the name. Alternatively you can post here and I will update the map myself.

Many have worked hard over the last year to bring the road network to completion but its stalled now just before finishing. I would greatly appreciate any help people could give with this, link below

http://qa.poole.ch/?zoom=13&lat=53.2763&lon=-9.05336&layers=TFB0

Adding a few. The one on the square is interesting. Deserves investigation.

Others shouldn't be on the map imo, but not sure of osm guidelines are for that.

The entrance to the parking before the lights on the docks coming from Queen Street is on private land and leads to private parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Lower Fairhill Road, beside Dominick St...

The West - East road there between Four Star Pizza and Kashmir is "Burke's Lane"

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Lower Fairhill Road, beside Dominick St...

The West - East road there between Four Star Pizza and Kashmir is "Burke's Lane"

Cheers for that.

If anyone else spots any others please post here with the details or alternatively go ahead and add the name yourself

OK WE GET THE HINT

THANKS

:D

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Cheers for that.

If anyone else spots any others please post here with the details or aalternatively go ahead and add the name yourself
    Haha

For services in cheek and sarcasm......
    anythting I notice missing I'm going to fix without telling you and still post it up here:P

• Advertisement

Need a bit of help identifying a few bits that I'm having trouble getting info for. The links below open a map with a slider on the top right. Use the slider to switch between Bing imagery and openstreetmap background if you need it.

• In Ballybane, there is something marked as a reservoir but I'm not sure thats what it is and would appreciate someone verifying what its is. you can see it here
    • Just below that "reservoir", are these the Ballybane allotments? If so, is there a specific name for them? Or is it something like a community garden or something else entirely?
    • In Ballybane, residential road that I can't find any signage for here
    • Murrough/Renmore, there is a block of apartments here that I can find no details for. The best piece of info I've gotten so far is "those are for the nun's" :confused:
    • Knocknacarra, there's an apartment block here
    As usual, any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, recent progress for Galway
    - A few thousand addresses have been added for buildings throughout the city and its environs, though mostly residential, see Ballybrit as an example
    - Over a dozen new bus stops added since the last check, but there are still a huge amount missing, would appreciate bus users helping out with this if possible.
    - The majority of business clusters have been surveyed and mapped by people, adding location, names, ph no's, websites, fax no's etc. Full list and progress below.

244364.jpg

Full details on Galway progress, suburb by suburb can be found here (still a work in progress)

Advertisement