Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering in UCD - Access Course

Options
  • 22-04-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I am currently researching the 3 yr (BSc) Engineering program at UCD, applying as a mature student.
    The 'Access to Science and Engineering' course was recommended for Mature Students on the UCD website and I would like to know if anyone has completed this course before starting the degree program.

It has been 6 years since I have studied at second level and wondering how beneficial this course is and how much workload there is outside of class. The UCD website says classes are Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, (3hr classes). How many more hours study-time approximately would need to be allocated for this course and if it would be possible to take on another course for that year to fill out the time?

I have also read the subject list and am curious to know how similar the content is to the 1st year of the Engineering program and if much of this content overlaps the course material.

As part of my decision making, I am trying to establish if this course is worth while or if I should consider W.I.T. in their 3 yr Level 7 Civil Eng. and progressing from there or a similar program.

I would appreciate any opinions, suggestions, thoughts on the above subject or anything else than could be helpful.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

Im doing engineerng in ucd and everyone seems to be doing either the 4 years BEng or 3+2 masters option the 3 year Bsc isnt really much good on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I done the access course in 2008-2009 and i'm just finishing up 3rd year of electronic engineering.

Have you got the required grades in maths to get into engineering? You don't need them as a mature student but you really should have them. I think the biggest decider for the course is whether or not you need the maths.

Personally the course was a must for me, having pissed away my time at the leaving cert and pulling out a whopping 120 points.

Assuming timetabling is the same the course is 6:30-9:30 during the week and 9:30 to 12:30 on saturday and depending how you're getting on you might want 1-2 hours study time after each class. I was still working when i started and still had plenty of time (taking a half day on monday and wednesdays) There is definite overlap with first year but then theres overlap with the leaving cert too. If you didn't do higher maths in the leaving there are topics covered pretty quickly in first year as revision for everyone else so you may struggle. Even completing the access course (and completing it well i.e. >90% in the maths sections) i still found first year tough.

As said the BSc isn't really a worthwhile degree, from an engineering point of view as it's (obviously) a science degree and is only really a stepping stone to an engineering masters in UCD or elsewhere.

As far as i know the course is exactly as it was when i done it so i should be able to answer any questions you have.

Advertisement