Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra long GU10 connector tails??

• 22-04-2012 9:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the longest GU10 connector tail thats available and where could I get it from?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

wouldnt be a fan of them as they prob dont comply with wiring rules

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

M cebee wrote: »

Fair enough,but can you advize me as to my post please?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

mr cebee why bother to reply........i am not having a go at you but why did you post a responce that is of no use or relevance to the question asked (not uncommon in a lot of your posts)paddy asked a question and you gave your oppinion that you dont like then.......thats not what was asked

this is how you answer the question

paddy 147 heres a link to the manafactures of gu10 the can be got without any cable and you can make them up any lenght you want with 0,5 silicon single flex

www.vossloh-schwabe.com/en/home/products/under-construction.html
    page 410
    www.vossloh-schwabe.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Download/Produktkatalog/VS-Main-Catalogue_2012-2013.pdf

and em-com system ltd dublin are major users of vs products so ask them maybe they help

my post may be of no use to paddy

but this is a public forum

in the interest of people who browse these threads I am pointing out that converting 12volt downlights to 230v with long flyleads may not comply with wiring rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

in the interest of people who browse these threads I am pointing out that converting 12volt downlights to 230v with long flyleads may not comply with wiring rules
    Quite how anyone would deduce that's what you were trying to say from what you wrote, I'm not sure.:confused:

• Advertisement

my post may be of no use to paddy

but this is a public forum

Well in the interest of the this thread here,and keeping to the topic,maybe you could go and start your own thread and include links on how and why its against the rules,according to your good self.

I asked a simple question,and you havent helped me out in any way whatsoever.

Thanks and Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well in the interest of the this thread here,and keeping to the topic,maybe you could go and start your own thread and include links on how and why its against the rules,according to your good self.

I asked a simple question,and you havent helped me out in any way whatsoever.

Thanks and Regards.

:D

seeing as you asked paddy ..............:

and for the benefit of any boardsies reading :cool:

i would advise you not to make up your own leads as they are no longer considered safe

http://www.futureled.ie/en/accessories/131-gu10-fly-lead.html

-Built in wire fixer to prevent wire being pulled out
    -Protective heat cover over wires

available in 200mm length

the other issues that may arise with your converted fitting above and long flyleads are:

-use of non-sheathed cable outside enclosure /fitting
    -proper termination at each light fitting
    -conversion of 12volt fittings for 230volt use

apologies if it's long-winded but i did raise concerns previously when you uploaded pics as i believe threads should broadly conform to wiring rules and safety concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pipsdad

seeing as you asked paddy ..............:

and for the benefit of any boardsies reading :cool:

i would advise you not to make up your own leads as they are no longer considered safe

http://www.futureled.ie/en/accessories/131-gu10-fly-lead.html

-Built in wire fixer to prevent wire being pulled out
    -Protective heat cover over wires

available in 200mm length

the other issues that may arise with your converted fitting above and long flyleads are:

-use of non-sheathed cable outside enclosure /fitting
    -proper termination at each light fitting
    -conversion of 12volt fittings for 230volt use

apologies if it's long-winded but i did raise concerns previously when you uploaded pics as i believe threads should broadly conform to wiring rules and safety concerns

Done properly fitting your own leads is not an issue. Id be more concerned about overheating transformers, most modern bezels come with both GU10 (mains) and 12v options.
    The question was "Whats the longest GU10 connector tail thats available and where could I get it from" not "how do I botch together a conversion from 12v to mains voltage" I think its a fair question that deserved an informed answer which I see is, after protracted argument and comment, now provided. Well done.

• Advertisement

no bother

paddys fitting is stamped gx5.3,that's why I raised the issue

also it is definitely not always safe to convert a fitting to 230v

non-earthed 230v fittings have special design considerations so they can't become live

Can I just say that my downlight fittings are all mains and not 12 V.

gx5.3 is only a label on the inside of the chrome downlight fittings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Can I just say that my downlight fittings are all mains and not 12 V.

gx5.3 is only a label on the inside of the chrome downlight fittings
    It can't just be a random label.:confused:
    That downlighter fitting is designed for 12v, therefore it's a 12v fitting. Just because you put 220v lamps in, does not change that fact.
    Perhaps you misread M cebee's last post.

:D

Advertisement