Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget places to eat in Ranelagh + Rathmines ?

Options
  • 22-04-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I just moved into a nice apartment between Ranelagh and Rathmines main streets.

Went for a stroll today and both places have so many places to eat and have coffee.. it's amazing.

I did see an earlier thread on restaurant recommendations but some were very pricey especially as prices have dropped in so many places in the last year. For example I would consider Eddie Rockets way over priced now.

Anyone recommend budget places to eat ? Mainly steakhouse and Chinese ... and maybe an Italian that also does non-Italian dishes (for companion ..)

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

is it bad that i have lived in ranelagh my whole life and can't think of any budget places?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

ene wrote: »
    is it bad that i have lived in ranelagh my whole life and can't think of any budget places?

They don't really exist...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

To be honest a meal out doesn't have to be very expensive unless you're racking up the bill with wine and stuff..

There's just so many different places in Ranelagh and Rathmines, it's worth taking a walk and a good look around the neighbourhoods.

Take note though, you're also within walking distance of 7 large supermarkets and a few smaller Spar/Centra type places too, so there are plenty of options (and good deals in different places) for cooking at home.

Oh also, if you're looking for takeaway/delivery stuff, there are tons of places around, and almost all of them use just-eat.ie (if they don't have their own service, like Domino's etc.)

Welcome to the neighbourhood! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

You will have to define what you mean by budget.

When you say Eddie Rockets is overpriced, do you mean that you don't want to be spending around a tenner on a meal or that you think Eddie Rockets is just expensive for what it is?

If its the former, you are in trouble. If its the latter, what do you consider budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Welcome to the hood.

Like a previous poster said you can get good value in most of the restaurants once you are not inhaling wine and other stuff.

I find the smaller cafes/restaurants in rathmines are great value. I live in Ranelgh and sometimes order from the local thai which is delish and I find def worth it!

Happy eating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Sorry to hijack a little bit, but I wouldn't mind an Indian takeaway tonight and I used to get it from Monsoon but that's gone.. Anyone recommend a good'un?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Bombay Pantry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Hobarts, a fry there can't be beat

vegie fry is lovely too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I really like Bombay Pantry too but the Rathmines branch have been terrible with delivery times. They say 45 mins, but that has turned in to 1.5+ hours a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

reprazant wrote: »
    You will have to define what you mean by budget.

When you say Eddie Rockets is overpriced, do you mean that you don't want to be spending around a tenner on a meal or that you think Eddie Rockets is just expensive for what it is?

If its the former, you are in trouble. If its the latter, what do you consider budget.

Thanks to all for the welcome !!

Well, when a friend and I go to ER we rarely leave without spending about 30 quid. I think that it a bit OTT for their kind of food. Most restaurants have reduced their prices over the last 2 years but ER haven't budged.

You guys are so right, both Rath and Ran are chock a bloc with places, and I guess that is why I posted. I hate having to try them out and blunder from one poor place to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well, ER do any burger and get reg fries and reg drink for €3 extra, what I always go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭borabora

Yes ER has vastly improved price wise in the last while with their red basket meal deals etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

If you're looking for a place similar to Eddie Rockets, there's Buffalo 19 on Lwr. Rathmines Road (next door to the new DID store). It's an American-themed diner similar to ER, but without the expensive table service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I regularly drop into Toast in Rathmines for lunch. They do a fantastic pizza for a starting price of about €6.50.

Advertisement