Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music to read by....

Options
  • 22-04-2012 9:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

What, if anything, do people like to listen to while reading? I find myself distracted on the bus if I can hear people talking near me, so lately I've been listening to instrumental music, such as jazz, which really helps me focus on the book and ignore everyone else.

Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Generally stuff that's if its got lyrics are incomprehensible but nice to listen to e.g Immediate Music. TwoStepsfromhell.

I actually have dedicated playlist to reading because I know how annoying it is when you hear others talking but can't make out what they are saying and just get these awkwardly annoying inaudible sounds in your ear. I find it easiest to just blot it out with music. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

I Generally listen to Angelo Badlamenti while studying or reading.He is the guy that does all the soundtracks to all of David Lynch's movie and Twin Peaks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Classical would seem to be a good choice, but I actually find it as distracting as music with lyrics. For studying, I sometimes use storm white noise, such as this. It blocks out the noise, but isn't itself distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have to admit I can't listen to anything while reading, it's always distracting

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Classical would seem to be a good choice, but I actually find it as distracting as music with lyrics. For studying, I sometimes use storm white noise, such as this. It blocks out the noise, but isn't itself distracting.

I'm going to try that. Although I think it might not work for works of fiction where I'm trying to imagine a beautiful day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This is my record of choice atm...

..as well as Sketches of Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

The gentle electronic waves of Stars of the Lid work for me when I'm reading...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

I recommend Scottish instrumentalist rock band Mogwai, it's a little bit livelier than 'chill out' music but not too much, I think it's great particularly for a fast paced novel as it sounds like a movie soundtrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Music without lyrics generally; probably movie scores more than anything else.

I'm a fan of classical music, though a lot of my favourite pieces would be so lively/strong that they're as distracting as music with lyrics.

Advertisement