Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Month Leases

Options
  • 22-04-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how flexible landlords generally are on the length of leases? I'm looking for a 6 month lease and when searching on daft 95% of properties are advertised as 1 year leases. Is this just a preference for them? Is it often possible to get them to agree to a 6 month lease?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

pick a few houses you like the look of and ring/email the landlord - I would try and put any house advertised through a letting agent at the bottom of the list, they probably won't want the hassle of contacting the LL so don't be disapointed when they come back and say "the LL won't accept 6 months)

If you can provide references and payslips etc you might find LLs who can't rent the room now very agreeable to having the security of knowing rent is coming in for the next 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You might have better luck asking for a break clause in the lease which allows either party to terminate the lease after a set time (say 6 months). Ive had that in leases before.

To be honest the best thing to do is ring up and ask. Most landlords will put 1 year lease up as it is pretty much the standard, but if the place has been on the market for a while then Im sure a LL would have little hesitation in taking a 6 month lease rather than leaving the place empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also try ghost estate builder/LL, I found a lovely unfurnished house and he couldn't care less how long we stay once its occupied. You should see the rent too, you'd pay more for a cardboard box outside clearys.......

• Registered Users Posts: 31 qwerty1805

I'm in the same situation.I'm looking fior a 6 months lease but it's very difficult to get.
    More than 95 % on daft are from letting agency and if you asked them for the 6 months lease, it' always a no.
    Is there any websites to rent directly to the landlord without having the letting agency in the middle?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It depends on where you are looking as to how much bargaining power you have. If the apartment is in an area/complex that will not be vacant for long then the landlord/agent holds all the aces and you have little chance of negotiating with them. If the place has been vacant and on Daft for a good while then you have a better chance.

It might be worth offering slightly more rent in return for a shorter lease, say offer to pay 750 a month on an apartment advertised at 700 in return for having a 6 month lease. Its not ideal and its not the route Id go down straight away, but if you are struggling to find somewhere on a short lease and you really cannot commit to 12 months, then it might make some landlords take your request a bit more seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Maybe you are having trouble because you are emailing a letting agent and the message doesn't pass that. Try phoning and saying you are interested. Get them talking about the property and say that you want it for 6 months but that you will be able to tell them exactly when you will move out and that you can facilitate viewings for the new tenant.

Basically,

I'm not sure how long I will stay might be 3 months, 6 or 1 year, I have strictly no idea as I have to define some projects.Just I don't want a contract for 1 year and lost my deposit.Im looking everywhere not too far by city center (around 20 ms by walking).

I has already called them and email them but its always,no it strictly 1 year.

that's pity because I'm pretty sure lots of theses apartments are empty for a while on the market and both we could have a deal if the letting agents weren't too greedy ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I told a letting agency that I was on a 3 month trial and if that went well I had a permanent job and would sign a contract. You could try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

A 6 month lease would normally be more expensive as the landlord's costs increase (advertising after 6 months and new PRTB registrations) plus the possibility of more void time.

Irish law does give the tenant a get-out clause by way of assigning the lease to another person who takes over the lease. However, it is the tenants responsibility to find the new tenant failing which he may lose his deposit, either part or full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I don't know where you're looking but I have a room to rent in Dublin 13 and would be fine with a 6 month lease. PM me if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

I would think if you want a short lease you will have to pay the landlord a bit more for rent. If he has to rent the place twice in a year thats 2 €90 PRTB charges for a start. and then 2 vacant periods.

Then if letting agents are involved, twice the work there and twice the money.

Maybe if you found someone desperate with a place that noone else wants to rent you might get it easily enough though.

Or you could offer to pay for the second vacant period and the second €90 PRTB charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Cheers for the replies guys. Yeah I think I'm just going to get in contact with landlords/letting agents and just discuss it with them to get can I get a clause in the contract. Turns about I can probably stay 8 months now so that might be a bit easier to bargain with than 6 months.

thanks very much for you replies too !
    I really do appreciate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The norm when you're looking for a short-term lease is for a percentage increase on the monthly rent per reduction in the term being rented for. E.g. a 1 month lease could be 200% as much per month as a 1 year lease (just an example).

You need to factor in that it is vastly more expensive for a prospective landlord to let a property short-term, than it is long term.

thank you for all your replies :-)

Advertisement