Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oxford Chains and Locks

• 22-04-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where is best place in dublin to get them??

Want to get a new chain and lock and a disc lock.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Any good hardware store, buy a length of thick chain and a squire lock. Because there is no difference between them and a oxford chain besides the hardware store being cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

I know you didn't ask but I agree with the above guy.

Lidl out by Marley park had loads of the disk locks last tuesday.

Not sure about the quality (Don't want to open the bike security debate again) but Im of the mind that if they reeeally want your bike they will get it. These locks are about making it too much of a pain in the arse for the opportunists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Any good hardware store, buy a length of thick chain and a squire lock. Because there is no difference between them and a oxford chain besides the hardware store being cheaper.
    I would second that, Oxford is lucky bag material,

Lost the key off an Oxford and the local locksmith couldn't even duplicate the second one as he said it was non standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ogriofa wrote: »
    Not sure about the quality (Don't want to open the bike security debate again) but Im of the mind that if they reeeally want your bike they will get it. These locks are about making it too much of a pain in the arse for the opportunists.

Agree 100%.

A normal chain threaded through the wheel takes about 5-10 seconds to cut with no noise from a medium size boltcutters. Disk lock does nothing to stop three to four bike lads lifting it into the back of van.

You want a big chain(Almax) threaded through the frame into something very difficult to remove(lampost, steel pole or ground anchor). Make them work for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Almax ftw.
    I think most bike shops will have oxford stuff. Bikeworld definitely do. Handy having a disk lock for times when you're leaving the bike for a few minutes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

If you can at all,get some industrial lifting chain.I use this with a big fcuk off lock.A bolt cutter's won't cut the chain.It took me nearly 40 second's with a battery operated grinder to cut the length I needed.I think the link's are 12mm.
    It won't stop 'em stealing your bike but will slow 'em down.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I have this and it works like a charm, no one has ever attempted to steal my bike although its not very practical for carrying around;) 1804846_846e5e73.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

+1 for Almax Series III or IV. Won't be breaking them with any boltcutters. Bit expensive though...and heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Agree 100%.

A normal chain threaded through the wheel takes about 5-10 seconds to cut with no noise from a medium size boltcutters. Disk lock does nothing to stop three to four bike lads lifting it into the back of van.

You want a big chain(Almax) threaded through the frame into something very difficult to remove(lampost, steel pole or ground anchor). Make them work for it.

Cheers, i have a ground anchor at home, was just thinking of upgrading the chain and lock, Almax would do as well. Just want a dsc lock for a bit of extra deterrent, have one but its acting up lately

Advertisement