Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I carry bugs home to my dogs?

• 22-04-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

For the last few weeks I've been volunteering at a dog rescue group. I've just realised one of my own dogs is 7mths overdue for his yearly booster shot. I mixed up the dates with my other dog..I'm so feckin' stupid:(. I'm booking him in first thing in the morning, what I want to know is, is he at risk of picking something up from me...or even when he gets his booster is there any risk does anyone know? I clean my hands with steriliser before I leave the kennels but I've been letting my own dogs sniff my clothes before I change them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Relax, alot of people recomend not getting a yearly booster but a 2 or 3 year booster instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Yes, you can carry infectious agents home with you. Keeping your dogs up to date on vaccinations/worming etc. is the best way to aviod them getting ill but changing your clothes and shoes when you get home would also help.

It is unlikely that your dogs could get sick from you carrying little buggers home on your clothes, esp if they are perfectly healthy, but it is possible. Don't beat yourself up too much about it - mistakes happen and you haven't made anybody sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

God, I'd just die if I passed something to them:( I love them so much but the poor wee things in the kennels need so much love and attention:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Don't worry too much about it, working with rescues and pounds is great and don't let it put you off! Just be careful and your own dogs will be fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

if You're really worried about it keep a change of clothes and shoes in your car to change into, and wash your hands and face well before you go home.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    if You're really worried about it keep a change of clothes and shoes in your car to change into, and wash your hands and face well before you go home.

I must do that Kylith...I was thinking it was a treat for them to have a good sniff around me at all the different doggy smells:rolleyes:.

Had my wee dog at the vet for his booster earlier. She said for me to carry home infection was really highly unlikely but there is a risk of passing on a worm infestation eg on my shoes...but once my dogs are wormed they should be fine:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Depends what you're exposed to at the shelter- things like Parvo can travel on clothes so, even though your own dogs are vaccinated, if it was me, I'd wear separate clothes for work at the shelter and change before going home. Different shoes too. Risk to a young healthy and non-immunocompromised dog (like yours) is pretty low, but better to be safe than sorry.

Advertisement