Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Year Commerce - UCC

Options
  • 22-04-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm in 2nd year at the moment and just had a talk about 3rd year majoring options, but really have no clue! I'm thinking I want to do something like Marketing, or Food Business? But the careers officer said that there are very few work placement positions for marketing and most are unpaid!

I'm really looking for people who have done commerce in ucc to help me out! Can ye tell me what ye majored in and how you find it, and what your friends did?

And minors? Don't get me started on them! I'm so lost!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 comm1407

I'm a final year BComm student and chose to major in marketing. Your major barely impacts on your modules in 3rd year. Only really comes into play in 4th year. If you choose marketing, you have a good few projects in final year but they are practically all submitted by January. I have gotten really good results in them so far compared to some economic majors.

Don't worry about majors and placements too much. Yes there are a good few unpaid marketing placements but I waited it out and got a really good paid PR placement in the end. Just because you major in marketing though does not mean you can't apply for all sorts of placements, including places with the big 4. They make ask you in your interview what your major is but if you give a good interview then it shouldn't impact on you too much!

Plus in the end, you all come out with the same degree, regardless of your major. Just play to your strengths!

Hope this helps! :D

Advertisement