Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

david guetta

• 22-04-2012 10:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

excuse my ignorance but what exactly does david guetta do? the songs he is on, does he write the lyrics for the vocals etc?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

What do you mean songs.......It's one song.

He's basically the biggest DJ in the world. Because American kids have suddenly discovered they like dancing to his one tune.

It's like this. In Europe, we've been hearing this stuff for a long time. In the US, the only dance track to grace the serious end of the chart for a decade was Darude's Sandstorm. In the meantime, the only music in America was R&B, and Bling Bling dingle berry Hip Hop (which is absolutely undancable shite). Or Christian rock. I was in Arizona years ago, and I was talking to a teenage girl. She was amazed that dance music was played on the radio here.

So American kids have had nothing, for a long time, and then they hear Guetta, and they think he's a genius. They literally think he's invented the whole thing by himself.

EVen Madonna's new album sounds like 90s EuroHouse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

krd wrote: »
    What do you mean songs.......It's one song.

He's basically the biggest DJ in the world. Because American kids have suddenly discovered they like dancing to his one tune.

It's like this. In Europe, we've been hearing this stuff for a long time. In the US, the only dance track to grace the serious end of the chart for a decade was Darude's Sandstorm. In the meantime, the only music in America was R&B, and Bling Bling dingle berry Hip Hop (which is absolutely undancable shite). Or Christian rock. I was in Arizona years ago, and I was talking to a teenage girl. She was amazed that dance music was played on the radio here.

So American kids have had nothing, for a long time, and then they hear Guetta, and they think he's a genius. They literally think he's invented the whole thing by himself.

EVen Madonna's new album sounds like 90s EuroHouse.

but what does guetta himself do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

In a nutshell, hes a DJ and he writes/produces very simple, uninspired, generic, cheesey euro pop music. Usually he'll have some flavour of the month pop sensation to provide vocals on his tracks too.

Out of curiosity, what made you ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Guetta has been in the dance music industry for years. Go read up on him before you pass judgement like the americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Stab*City wrote: »
    Guetta has been in the dance music industry for years. Go read up on him before you pass judgement like the americans.

He's also always been sh¡te. Longevity doesn't equate to respect imo. In essence he is just a brand. He has ghostwriters and producers probably work up ideas he's started or create tunes entirely from scratch and give him a songwriting credit in exchange for using his name and making money of it rather than giving it to an unknown singer and making nothing off it.

Look at the credits for his latest track Titanium:

Writer(s): Sia Furler, David Guetta, Giorgio Tuinfort, Nick Van De Wall

Producer: David Guetta, Giorgio Tuinfort, Afrojack

Looking at the above, I'm guessing that he had very minimal involvement in the making of that song beyond approving it for the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

There are a lot of good producers like Armin/Tiesto that use ghostwriters so I wouldn't hold that against anyone. At end end of the day, you have to produce some good or successful songs on your own in the first place in order to get to a stage where you can have these writers and focus more on being a brand.

paulo6891 wrote: »
    There are a lot of good producers like Armin/Tiesto that use ghostwriters so I wouldn't hold that against anyone. At end end of the day, you have to produce some good or successful songs on your own in the first place in order to get to a stage where you can have these writers and focus more on being a brand.

Being a brand is a load of bullsh¡t. I'd be aghast if my favourite producers or artists decided not to write their own music anymore in order to develop their 'brand'. The music is entirely meaningless to the likes of those fúckers like Guetta, Tiesto and the sh¡tting Swedish House Mafia with their magical ability to mix with no headphones, it's just stepping stones for their brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

He's also always been sh¡te. Longevity doesn't equate to respect imo. In essence he is just a brand. He has ghostwriters and producers probably work up ideas he's started or create tunes entirely from scratch and give him a songwriting credit in exchange for using his name and making money of it rather than giving it to an unknown singer and making nothing off it.

Looking at the above, I'm guessing that he had very minimal involvement in the making of that song beyond approving it for the album.

Sounds like a win win win situation for those involved. So what does equate to respect in your world? Many many big names have went down the same road as guetta.

Hey im no guetta fan but the man is more than just one or two tracks the last few years.. He practically ran the Paris club scene with joachim gaurraud for years..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

You've probably seen this before but anyway....
    David-Guetta.jpg

That's what David Guetta does.

Sounds like a win win win situation for those involved. So what does equate to respect in your world? Many many big names have went down the same road as guetta.

Aye, it's win-win if you enjoy your music as processed as Easi-Singles and many, many big names are sh¡te as well. I never said what Guetta did was unique although at least people like Beyonce have to contribute some vocals to the tracks that have their names tacked on them. What does Guetta have to do hear except nod his head and say it sounds good?
    Hey im no guetta fan but the man is more than just one or two tracks the last few years.. He practically ran the Paris club scene with joachim gaurraud for years..

But I care as much about his history as he does. He gives not a fig about music at all now from what I can hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

It's a bit too easy to jump on the anti-Guetta bandwagon. He would have produced all of his early tracks himself which would have gotten him to this position. It sounds like some people just really dislike him because he has become so big. Same with SHM, they were all highly respected in their own right before this group started and would have started at the same position as anyone else. In an ideal world, everyone would remain in the underground scene earning barely any money, I won't hold it against them if they want to venture out and go down the business route - I would do the same if I had the chance and I think 99% of people would also. Calling Armin, Tiesto, Axwell, Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso and David Guetta sh*te just because you don't like the path they have taken is wrong, they have all produced really good tracks in the past so are clearly not rubbish producers.

Just to note, I do not like David Guetta's music.

paulo6891 wrote: »
    It's a bit too easy to jump on the anti-Guetta bandwagon. He would have produced all of his early tracks himself which would have gotten him to this position. It sounds like some people just really dislike him because he has become so big. Same with SHM, they were all highly respected in their own right before this group started and would have started at the same position as anyone else. In an ideal world, everyone would remain in the underground scene earning barely any money, I won't hold it against them if they want to venture out and go down the business route - I would do the same if I had the chance and I think 99% of people would also. Calling Armin, Tiesto, Axwell, Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso and David Guetta sh*te just because you don't like the path they have taken is wrong, they have all produced really good tracks in the past so are clearly not rubbish producers.

Just to note, I do not like David Guetta's music.

This isn't a begrudgery stance, and it is not based on the fact Guetta has gotten so big. The music produced by David Guetta and the Swedish House Mafia at the moment is beyond terrible - Why should I say 'fair play lads, you're cynically making music to appeal to retards, nice one'? If you were happy to go down the route that tits like Axwell and Tiesto have, playing absolute dreck to the knackers of the world, that's great for you but that ain't about making music in any way, shape or form. The fact is, some producers are happy to earn a okay living playing music they love rather than playing **** and it's nothing to do with credibility - its about doing what they enjoy. If they're happy to make good music, I'll be happy to listen to it. I have always thought the people you have listed above were sh¡te and it is nothing to do with how big they are, it is what they represent in terms of cynicism, vacuity and knackeriness and I'd say you could bet your ass that not one of those guys ever fully produced a track by themselves.

Splinters wrote: »
    In a nutshell, hes a DJ and he writes/produces very simple, uninspired, generic, cheesey euro pop music. Usually he'll have some flavour of the month pop sensation to provide vocals on his tracks too.

Out of curiosity, what made you ask?

well he seems to be involved in every music track out at the moment i am curious as to how one man seems to be taking over music, fair play to him i suppose, so it seems that because he is mixing electronic and r&B he has become popular?

You've probably seen this before but anyway....
    David-Guetta.jpg

That's what David Guetta does.

sorry i dont get it?

Splinters wrote: »

Yes, that is what he does. And some people really like that music.

And in my opinion, he has taken some undanceable awful American hip hop and remixed the stuff into music that can be danced to.

If Guetta doesn't make music you like, so what.

The guy is a cheesemaker indeed....but some people really like cheese.

You know what's the funniest things about dance music snobs. They all start out on things like the cheesiest trance, silly hardcore - and then they get "mature".

sorry i dont get it?

He only plays 3 notes, it's the same repetitive stuff...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

it's the same repetitive stuff...

you do know your in the dance music production forum, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

one of his tunes from about 10 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

I really don't like his music at all and agree with some of the previous contributors about him becoming commercial and cheesey.

Having said that, some people obviously like what he does and this is making him very successful. Should I begrudge this because his music is not my personal preference?

So add to the S.H.M. comments, I saw them live a couple of years ago at Sensation and was bitterly disappointed. They played One several times and were truly terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'm pretty sure that's the Wally Lopez remix (which is a cracking tune by the way)

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    you do know your in the dance music production forum, yeah?
    :o Bad choice of words...
    I meant with every song. not just in one song. I read the Guardian's review of Nothing But The Beat: "Everything on this album's first disc could be a single – which is marvellous, until it turns out to be the same single"

is that him djing in the video? decent tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

mordeith wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's the Wally Lopez remix (which is a cracking tune by the way)

yep it was wally lopez that remixed it.the original is very bad.

You know what's the funniest things about dance music snobs. They all start out on things like the cheesiest trance, silly hardcore - and then they get "mature".

Unless of course, they didnt and came from completely different musical backgrounds ;)

You know what the funniest thing about people is? They all start off eating baby food. Baby food serves it's purpose but if you spend your life eating baby food without trying out anything else out or moving on from it you're a bit of a spastic.

That just made me spit out my coffee onto my keyboard, funny ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I'm much cheesier than most. It's an actual curse ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The market producers like Guetta aim for are the people who like party songs that sound the same as the ones before only slightly different. Some people have to realise that the majority of people who are into this kind of dance music don't think much about it and are just after a bit of a rush, it's basically disposable music.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    I'm much cheesier than most. It's an actual curse ;)

Cheese is quite difficult to do. I got a copy of Dave Guetta's album. Really I could only listen to it once. Everything he does sounds the same. And he makes the Swedish House Mafia sound like This Mortal Coil. I actually like SHM, and I think people give them more stick than they're due.

I sat down one day to make a David Guettesque sounding track, and I couldn't stick at it for that long. But I would like to be able to make that polished style.........The only problem is you have to listen to it while you're making it.

Americans in general, do not know shit about the music. A friend was living in Detroit about two years ago - and he wanted to sample the Detroit house thing. He went to a couple of different nights. And on every occasion he was sorely pissed off. This nights had sold themselves as Detroit house, but what they were playing was just typical crap American hip hop, which is undanceable.

It's funny. Nearly anything he does could have been done twenty years ago - it's classic handbag house. But the American kids think it's the newest freshest thing they've ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭electro-shocks

The only guetta track i can bare to listen to, behind all the cheese he probably could have been a decent house producer.

Im so glad prydz never became part of shm brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Im so glad prydz never became part of shm brand

Pryda is way to beast:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 martinbe

Joachim Garraud done an interview in Future magazine last year and he said he produced all of Guettas tracks at the start. Now Guetta has somebody else to do it. He said David is the guy who gets everybody together, Writers singers Engineers He gets them all in the same room and makes music, so he is a producer just not in the same sense as your typical dance producer like Roger Sanchez or Mark Knight.

I’m not a fan of David Guetta because I don’t like pop music. Just listen to Tulisa Contostavlos new track, There all trying to make tracks like Guetta. It’s what the masses wants to hear, Your lucky you have a mind of your own and you don’t get sucked into the whole Xfactor, RnB/dance music scene. If you go to one of Guetta’s gigs and leave disappointed then it’s your fault for going, David Guetta, SHM, Avici you know what you’re getting into if you buy a ticket to their show. My cousin asked me to go to SHM@ Milton Keynes Bowl this summer, I had to decline as I know there music will put me in a bad humour.

Lucky for us there is still loads of clubs that still play underground good dance music.

Advertisement