Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damo and ivor

Options
  • 22-04-2012 10:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

guys lookin at damo and ivor maniac, what is involved in doing something like this? would he have to get rights to cover the song? would it cost much to do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Trust me, the guy behind D&I have no shortage of money, and being backed by RTE, I'm sure Mark McCabe is only delighted to be getting some royalties!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

eeloe wrote: »
    Trust me, the guy behind D&I have no shortage of money, and being backed by RTE, I'm sure Mark McCabe is only delighted to be getting some royalties!

why does rte back him? mccabe doesnt own the rights to the song does he?
    where did damo get his money?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

why does rte back him? mccabe doesnt own the rights to the song does he?
    where did damo get his money?

I don't know who owns the rights but Damo & Ivor (the same person) is RTE staff. RTE pay all the production costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

As mentioned above, its the same person playing both characters. The guys name is Andrew Quirke. His dad owns Doctor Quirkies on O'Connell St and his brother is going out with Rosanna Davison (Chris De Burgs daughter and former Miss Universe). Safe to say hes well connected, even without RTE's backing.

For what its worth you could probably have found that out just as easily by doing a search on google.

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't know who owns the rights but Damo & Ivor (the same person) is RTE staff. RTE pay all the production costs.

so the tax payer is paying that fool when he is a millionaire anyway? what is he doing on rte staff anyway???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

so the tax payer is paying that fool when he is a millionaire anyway? what is he doing on rte staff anyway???

The taxpayer pays for the show to be made and also pays his wages. They do this because many people want to see him on TV. RTÉ then make a profit on the show through advertising revenue.

RTÉ is a television and radio company it makes sense that they would employ actors. Many people also find him quite funny so if that's not a good enough reason to employ him I don't know what is.

I don't like nationwide and I think its the most boring show there ever was, that doesn't mean I call Anne Cassin a fool.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Exactly, if it's not someone's cuppa tea, they don't have to watch/listen.

If you search for any of his videos on YouTube, you'll see there's a massive amount of people behind them, properly produced, and on an irish level, they are quite well made.

He caused quite a stir a few years back with his 'Skanger Me Banger' video....taking the piss outa pimp my ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

What's with all the questions about Guetta and Damo and Ivor?

mordeith wrote: »
    What's with all the questions about Guetta and Damo and Ivor?

just seems to be the way the music market is going, thats all, interesting stuff

GarIT wrote: »
    The taxpayer pays for the show to be made and also pays his wages. They do this because many people want to see him on TV. RTÉ then make a profit on the show through advertising revenue.

RTÉ is a television and radio company it makes sense that they would employ actors. Many people also find him quite funny so if that's not a good enough reason to employ him I don't know what is.

I don't like nationwide and I think its the most boring show there ever was, that doesn't mean I call Anne Cassin a fool.

sorry your right hes not a fool at all he just looks like a fool, i enjoy what he does but i cant believe rte pay him to do this, im sure there are plenty of talented people out there that dont get paid by rte who similar stuff, as i say i enjoy d&i but i wouldnt necessarily say he was talented and is quite limited as to where he can go with the charachters now

• Advertisement

but i wouldnt necessarily say he was talented and is quite limited as to where he can go with the charachters now

Not sure where you think he'd want to take the characters. They are spoof stereotypes. The Fast Show was one of the most sucessful sketch shows and the characters never went anywhere. It's not like its a novel! RTE are paying him cos he's funny and people like the Damo and Ivor personas.

mordeith wrote: »
    Not sure where you think he'd want to take the characters. They are spoof stereotypes. The Fast Show was one of the most sucessful sketch shows and the characters never went anywhere. It's not like its a novel! RTE are paying him cos he's funny and people like the Damo and Ivor personas.

ah come on your not actually comparing d&I to the fast show are ya???:eek:

ah come on your not actually comparing d&I to the fast show are ya???:eek:

No, but they are the same genre of show. I mean you're saying there are more talented people than the guy who does Damo and Ivor. That's probably true but it's a successful sketch/production so of course RTE are going to support it. There could well have been people saying the same about the Fast Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

guys lookin at damo and ivor maniac, what is involved in doing something like this? would he have to get rights to cover the song? would it cost much to do this?

To do something like this, you sign up to a service like Tunecore to get your stuff onto iTunes, then get in touch with the Harry Fox agency to get the rights to perform the song.
    The copyright owner will inform the agency, and them you, of the cut they want, you get the performance royalties if you sell any.
    Pretty easy.

cheers grindle, exactly the answer i was looking for

Advertisement