Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The joys of alcoholic

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Being serious about this for a mo.

You don't have to be an Alcoholic to have a problem with drink.

If your mood/mind is in the wrong place, drinking can amplify problems you have/think you have.

It can happen very publicly. At best, it's embarrasing, at worst, it can cause you to doubt your own sanity & therefore yourself.

Eitherway, not good.

OP, try to work out the reasons you behave the way you do when you have a few pints on board.

Some people blame Drink for their problems,but the reasons for a 'drink' problem is often more than the quantity of intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Teddy you need a moment of clarity. The only problem with moments of clarity is that they might happen next week or they might happen thirty years from now when your liver is f*cked and your brain is made of spaghetti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

replace the word TV with sex there and its very true imho :D;):)
    best things in life, why stop :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Oh the joys of being an alcoholic get better by the day.
    Have about seven and a half beers last night and was completely smashed.
    Don't remember a bloody thing to be honest but half my friends are no longer talking to me. Think I may have tried it on with his bird or something. He sent me a text saying "you're a compete and utter tit, wb". The other guy doesn't have time for me at the best of times either.
    I spent about 50 quid too. The worst thing is I know I'll do it all over again on the 17th of May.
    I wish I could give this **** up for life.
    It seems to get worse every time now too.
    People say it keeps getting worse with age too and I'm already 25.
    How can you give up this crap for once and for all?

Address the problems which make you want to drink so much Teddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Domo230 wrote: »
    Who spends 50 quid on drink on a night out? 10 quid will get you 6 cans and that should be plenty. I've never seen anyone drink any more than this and not become a drunk mess.

I was at a 50th on Saturday and everybody there had at least that amount, but probably double it, and I only counted one drunk mess out of a hundred.
    It very easy to spend more than €50 if you drink shot/mixer combos, or wine, or tasty beer.
    6 cans is plenty to loosen up, or be tipsy, but you'll need more (or I would) to keep that balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I wonder if this was an American forum what people would be posting?

Who spends 50 quid on drink on a night out? 10 quid will get you 6 cans and that should be plenty. I've never seen anyone drink any more than this and not become a drunk mess.

The attitude we have to drink really pisses me off.

theres your problem, you cant get cans on a night 'out' unless you're knacker drinking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Alright, enough.

What's this wb thing?
    W@nk buddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I was out last night and saw a damn drunk mess. I love a drink as much as the next and had more than 7 drinks over the course of the night and was still pretty ok going home.
    But there was a girl in the pub(looked to be mid twenties), and she was ossified. She looked like a tourist(had an obligatory backpack in Dublin on Saturday night,dead give-away) but appeared to be on her own:confused:
    From the time we got into the pub about ten, she was plastered. she seemed to have hooked up with a guy from the pub during the night and he was just as pissed. Now when I say they were pissed, I mean rat-arsed. They fell several times, knocked over tables, spilled other peoples drink etc. She must have black and blue this morning from the falls she took.
    But even after a couple of hours that we were there she still drank pint after pint.
    That's pretty bad

Most people have drinks in a house before going out.

I agree you do when you are younger but dont do that as you get older:)

• Advertisement

Well even in the pub/restaurant you can easily keep the alcohol costs below €50 if your'e not skulling back drinks.

It was 10.20euro for 2 bottles last night, do the math:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

i had 6 bottles of raging bitch last night and had to go to bed at a friends party... **** be stong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dpqt

Why can't people just ****ing enjoy drink in this country? You'd swear the only purpose for drinking alcohol was by the bucket load every Friday night to get wasted. Granted that's nice now and then as well, but what is wrong with the Southern European approach? They drink as much as us during the week, but in moderation daily with their dinner.

On the other hand, don't panic OP, you're not becoming an alco. I know one, and he'd down twice as much as 7 pints in a day. And believe me, for many alcoholics, it is a joyless and costly daily habit, not like the fun weekend night out most of us are accostumed to. A lot of them also buy cheap, putrid crap as they spend so much money on alcohol through the week as opposed to enjoying a few good quality beers on a Friday or Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Teddy, Is this your bottle of vodka in my toilet cistern?:mad:

I'll look after it to save you from youself:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

dpqt wrote: »
    Why can't people just ****ing enjoy drink in this country? You'd swear the only purpose for drinking alcohol was by the bucket load every Friday night to get wasted. Granted that's nice now and then as well, but what is wrong with the Southern European approach? They drink as much as us during the week, but in moderation daily with their dinner.

oh i enjoy it, i enjoy the fúck out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

0066ad wrote: »
    seven and half beers? that's only breakfast
    it's binge drinking is what it is.
    Why do people always pretend they drink more than 10 pints. There no way a human body could be hold all the liquid.

More than 10 pints is impossible?

Some alcoholic you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

The worst thing is I know I'll do it all over again on the 17th of May.

Just don't throw anything at Axl and everything will be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

try 6 or 7 beers every night for 10 years then get back to us..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

OP, if you feel it's causing you problems, that's enough reason to stop. Don't mind the people on here saying otherwise, whether they're joking or not. Alcohol is srs bsns.
    Personally, I am fairly well gone after 4 pints, so I never drink more than that, and when I think about it, there's really no need to either. I've just come back from France, and a standard serving of beer there is 250mls-pints still seem big now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mishkalucy wrote: »
    But there was a girl in the pub(looked to be mid twenties), and she was ossified. She looked like a tourist(had an obligatory backpack in Dublin on Saturday night,dead give-away) but appeared to be on her own:confused:
    From the time we got into the pub about ten, she was plastered. she seemed to have hooked up with a guy from the pub during the night and he was just as pissed. Now when I say they were pissed, I mean rat-arsed. They fell several times, knocked over tables, spilled other peoples drink etc. She must have black and blue this morning from the falls she took.
    But even after a couple of hours that we were there she still drank pint after pint.
    That's pretty bad

So thats where she got the bruises from, she told me that she was out with her girlie pals. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

More than 10 pints is impossible?

Some alcoholic you are.

Yeah I know, he didn't even mention having a shot of Domestos as his 'one for the road' :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Don't remember a bloody thing to be honest but half my friends are no longer talking to me. Think I may have tried it on with his bird or something.
    You only have two friends?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Oh the joys of being an alcoholic get better by the day.
    Have about seven and a half beers last night and was completely smashed.
    Don't remember a bloody thing to be honest but half my friends are no longer talking to me. Think I may have tried it on with his bird or something. He sent me a text saying "you're a compete and utter tit, wb". The other guy doesn't have time for me at the best of times either.
    I spent about 50 quid too. The worst thing is I know I'll do it all over again on the 17th of May.
    I wish I could give this **** up for life.
    It seems to get worse every time now too.
    People say it keeps getting worse with age too and I'm already 25.
    How can you give up this crap for once and for all?

Teddy, I hate to break it to ya, but you are not an alcoholic.

Just a guy with **** social skills who can't handle a few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Amazing to see the amount of people who dis seven and a half beers as lightweight behavior..

Would you all like a medal for being dipsos? I thought the chest beating about how much you could consume ended with your teens.. Oh wait

D1stant wrote: »
    Amazing to see the amount of people who dis seven and a half beers as lightweight behavior..

Would you all like a medal for being dipsos? I thought the chest beating about how much you could consume ended with your teens.. Oh wait

I'd be drunk off my ass on 7 beers. However, going out, drinking 7 beers and then not drinking for another month does not an alcoholic make.

7 beers might be a lot to someone who doesn't drink often but to be fair its nothing to a regular drinker. I had 6 cans Saturday night and I would more or less count that as "off the drink", wasn't even tipsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dpqt

7 beers might be a lot to someone who doesn't drink often but to be fair its nothing to a regular drinker. I had 6 cans Saturday night and I would more or less count that as "off the drink", wasn't even tipsy.

I don't think the problem lies in how much he/ she drinks, or how often. I personally have more of a problem with their assumption that alcoholism is great craic and a laugh. I know an alcoholic, and I can tell you the last thing he is, is happy. Granted, there's nothing like a few pints on a Friday, or a pint or two after work throughout the week. However, alcoholism is not a joyful experience, and certainly not funny or to be strived for. My friend drinks over 80 cans a week, and is a wreck and depressed half of the time.

dpqt wrote: »
    I don't think the problem lies in how much he/ she drinks, or how often. I personally have more of a problem with their assumption that alcoholism is great craic and a laugh. I know an alcoholic, and I can tell you the last thing he is, is happy. Granted, there's nothing like a few pints on a Friday, or a pint or two after work throughout the week. However, alcoholism is not a joyful experience, and certainly not funny or to be strived for. My friend drinks over 80 cans a week, and is a wreck and depressed half of the time.

I'm not in anyway trying to make out alcoholism to be great craic. I think its obvious enough here that the op is far form an alcoholic. However people are far too fast to label people as alcoholics imo.

I think the fact that the op was drunk after 7.5 beers is proof enough he is not an alcoholic but like wise just because someone can have 7 beers without being in a mess does not mean their tolerance is due to being an alcoholic. 6 or 7 beers would be a very easy night to me and my friends and we certainly aren't alcoholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Most people have drinks in a house before going out.

A few months ago I started having 'pre' 'pre-drinks'. Havin a few while getting ready then a few in a friend's before goin out. Had to knock that on the head was manky drunk heading out. I also find I spend more when I'm locked whether it's losing money or buying shots it never ends well so I like to find my happy medium:D

I'm not in anyway trying to make out alcoholism to be great craic. I think its obvious enough here that the op is far form an alcoholic. However people are far too fast to label people as alcoholics imo.

I think the fact that the op was drunk after 7.5 beers is proof enough he is not an alcoholic but like wise just because someone can have 7 beers without being in a mess does not mean their tolerance is due to being an alcoholic. 6 or 7 beers would be a very easy night to me and my friends and we certainly aren't alcoholics.

To be honest I think it's just part of a growing culture of claiming an issue is bigger than it is to alleviate any sense of responsibility.

If you drink a little too much and act the dick just claim to have a booze issue so people don't give you too much grieve.

**** somebody who isn't your wife and get caught? Just say you are a sex addict etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

i had a nagin and seven beers on a night out a while ago, ended up in supermacs and could have sworn i was on boat i couldnt even stand up straight, well anyway i had my pants around my ankles and was mid-****. my mates came in looking for me and i stood up just as i was defecating. somehow i slipped and hit my head. when i woke up i was sitting int a toilet covered in blood and surrounded by faeces!

needless to say its a night i wont forget anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I got drunk and made a fcuking eijit of myself too the weekend :( . Knew when I was drunk it was time to go but said I'd stay on and now I really wish I didn't. Was talking total and utter ****e from what I've heard.

Funny thing is, I was off the drink for one year and decided to have a few drinks at christmas and kinda been drinking since. I don't know when to stop and usually drink to get drunk.

Gonna stay off it now for a few months again because I can't handle "the fear" the morning after.

Make a conscious decision not to drink or get drunk again OP and you should be grand.

Advertisement