Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did your parents treat all of you equally?

• 22-04-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Reading about how parents treat their children differently, e.g. using different language for baby boys and girls, having different expectations of the eldest. Mine didn't treat us equally, as the eldest they expected a lot more of me than my siblings and they got away with far more than I did.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

As an only child, yeah, we were all treated pretty equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Yes we were all beaten to within an inch of our lives at one point or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Hell no. Family dynamics are whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Grian1

Same. I'm eldest too. My youngest brother was treated like a baby even when he was eight. My parents always trusted me but never my oldest brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im the middle child so go figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Pretty much. I'm the youngest though and I never really did anything wild compared to my 7 brothers and sisters so even when I was out of line I didn't get punished too badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

No.The eldest and youngest were spoilt but more was expected from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Every child should be treated equally. Just ask this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

hmmm nope!! my parents had 7 of us

Baby no 1: mothers pride & joy though big expectations so I'm sure the pressure was on him he achieved but he made the parenting easier for them we all had the cop on not to do what he did when he angered my mother (or learnt how to hide it better!) over achiever and still is

Baby no 2: Similar an age to baby no 1 so grew up like for like really

Baby no 3: left to mind babies 4&5 twins!

Baby no 6: broke there fcuken hearts!

Baby no 7: BIG SURPRISE we all ruined her!

Parenting lessons cause the eldest leads we all pretty much foolishly followed! but think we all took care of each other if that makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I hate the little feckers equally. I do try and make the eldest ones life that bit more miserable though, just cos he was the first and as such forced me to get rid of the sports car, cut the social life, get less sex and have to try and keep a steady income to the house. Come to think of it, I'm off to give the fecker another kick in the hole, little bollix....only joking, mad about them really:DNever liked that middle one much though, sarcy little sod he is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

lazygal wrote: »
    Reading about how parents treat their children differently, e.g. using different language for baby boys and girls, having different expectations of the eldest. Mine didn't treat us equally, as the eldest they expected a lot more of me than my siblings and they got away with far more than I did.
    Grian1 wrote: »
    Same. I'm eldest too. My youngest brother was treated like a baby even when he was eight. My parents always trusted me but never my oldest brother.

You are both looking at this the wrong way. The correct way to look at it is that they were new to the game when they had you and you trained them up good and proper so your younger sibling would have a smoother ride :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

No, even disregarding the fact that I'm the only boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Superbus wrote: »
    As an only child, yeah, we were all treated pretty equally.

I found my parents always treated my head with more respect and ignored my requests to 'ask my arse'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Naa, my family tree is way to complicated to even begin to go there.

*gets depressed thinking*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I’m the middle child and the youngest in our family definitely got away with more growing up. He was the real cheeky baby of the family and still is now even in his 20s! There was a real role reversal between me and my older sister though. I always seemed to be the one given the extra ‘responsibilities’, go figure :confused:

(but my parents would swear until they're blue in the face that they treated us all equally :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭policarp

All animals are equal except some
    animals are more equal than others. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Nope.
    Only girl and eldest.
    My 2 brothers had it way easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

lazygal wrote: »

It's always been the same way. Life has a habit of changing people, even parents and hence changing the way they deal with other people including their children.

Parents worried more about their daughters in my youth (the old pregnancy thing) and different guidelines were used in bringing them up. Now most parents have more fear for their male offspring that they will end up getting stabbed or their heads kicked in - no matter how sensible they are or how they can defend themselves.

The eldest always carries a weight of expectations and responsibility while the youngest gets away with murder. Sometimes I get my mother and her siblings talking about their upbringing and the rows that ensue are mighty. My mother hugely resents the burden of responsibility that she feels was placed on her for being the eldest but then mention how she was their father's favourite and she preens herself whilst the others spit fire. One of the first things she said to me when I had my second child was to try not to make my eldest always the responsible one in the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not in the slightest though I'm sure they'd say they did.

I was eldest and while my younger sister was treated pretty much the same as me, the youngest was spoilt by comparison though our family's circumstances had changed quite a bit during the 7 years between us. By the time he was in his teens my parents would simply have had more money so he got more (and cooler) stuff than we would have. To be fair though, I'd have been earning by his late teens and would have thrown him the odd few quid as well.

My mum prefers me and my dad prefers my sister. It's been that way since we were about 14/15.

My sister's a real piece of work though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Fcuk no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

nope..

Don't care what any parent says... deep down the have a favorite :P

My Mams favorite is my little sister..

While I'm dads favorite..

My older brother and sister are just like equally by both parents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

My brother always had to "share with his little sister" but I got to keep everything to myself. He also got the blame for most things as well, poor guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

nope, I wasn't allowed to curse, stay out late or go places alone until I was 17 because I'm a girl and the youngest. My Dad is really over protective, even when he taught me how to drive he was ridiculously cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

My brother was treated brilliantly while I was forced to live under the stairs. Eventually I got my own room but my parents forbade me to go to wizarding school, fornunetaly my mate had a flying car:D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

like everything you try most at the beginning, I'd say most parents first child are like joining the gym in January, high hopes and lots of effort. Later on you just lose interest:confused:

Advertisement