Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a dog from a rescue

• 22-04-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm heading to the "rescue" with the family on Saturday to look for a new dog :) I've visited the website but still not quite sure about how it works. Can we just show up and have a look around and choose a dog? I know they come out to your home etc but is there a chance that we could take a dog home on the day and them to come out and visit our home?

I also know they sit down and tell ask you what dog you'd like and attributes you'd like e.g. House trained, friendly with other dogs etc, but we'd really like a small dog that is naturally friendly and is a quick learner, is there a breed I should be keeping and eye out for? Thanks guys :).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

From some years back I had to get a dog license for a dog I found and put in a pond but in order to get it out as they said it would not get a home and would be pts.
    So you might need to get a license but that could be done on the same day it you don't mind the run around .

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

Couldn't say about "that rescue", but we adopted last May and we just had a chat with the nice lady, paid the fee and we were on our way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just a reminder guys, as per the forum charter, no recommending or discussing actions of specific rescues/pounds. (You can chat but just don't name names)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Thanks for the feedback guys, sorry Star-pants :)
    About the breed, is there a specific breed I should keep an eye out for?
    Granted we could go into the place and just be taken off our feet by the one that we haven't even thought about but just would like to have a good idea :) Basically one that's really lively, small and a quick learner :) thanks for the suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Check out jack russell terrier and other breeds on dogs101 site.
    They seem to be for the most part on the mark about dogs.

The jrt is not so good with young kids though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It depends on the rescue/pound. Some will want to do a home check before they'll give you a dog, some will let you walk out the door that day with one. Some will not want to give you one if you work long hours/ if there's no one at home during the day.

Most will require that the dog lives indoors.

I have two Jack Russells myself, both rescues, they are bright and intelligent, very inquisitive, took to training easily enough once we got over some of the problems which led to both ending up in shelters. They're great craic around the house.

It probably would be no harm to bring the whole family to see how the dog gets on with everyone, and also from a practical point of view, you don't want to go buying a dog bed for a small dog like a jack russell or a yorkshire terrier and come home with a collie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

Redzer7 wrote: »
    we'd really like a small dog that is naturally friendly and is a quick learner, is there a breed I should be keeping and eye out for? Thanks guys :).

I have a terrier x sheepdog, he is the most amazing dog in every way, friendly, very intelligent, and loyal, he is by far the best dog i've ever had and I used to own pure bread german shepherds. IMO go for a small x breed but remember the dog will pick you, you may end up coming out with great dane :)

It depends on the rescue/pound. Some will want to do a home check before they'll give you a dog, some will let you walk out the door that day with one. Some will not want to give you one if you work long hours/ if there's no one at home during the day.

Most will require that the dog lives indoors.

I have two Jack Russells myself, both rescues, they are bright and intelligent, very inquisitive, took to training easily enough once we got over some of the problems which led to both ending up in shelters. They're great craic around the house.

It probably would be no harm to bring the whole family to see how the dog gets on with everyone, and also from a practical point of view, you don't want to go buying a dog bed for a small dog like a jack russell or a yorkshire terrier and come home with a collie.

Ah there's someone home nearly all the time and the dog will definitely be indoors :). Very interested in the Jack Russels now I like them and they look like the perfect dog. My whole family is going, even my sister that has a house of her own is going :pac:. We used to have a West Highland Terrier but he passed away a few months ago after 13 years. The family was/is very attached to him hence why my sister is going too. Can't wait now.

bubbuz wrote: »
    I have a terrier x sheepdog, he is the most amazing dog in every way, friendly, very intelligent, and loyal, he is by far the best dog i've ever had and I used to own pure bread german shepherds. IMO go for a small x breed but remember the dog will pick you, you may end up coming out with great dane :)

I'll take it on board thanks a lot :) the only thing about coming home with a great dane is that my mother will be absolutely terrified which is why we've to try limit it down to the smaller dogs :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Couldn't say about "that rescue", but we adopted last May and we just had a chat with the nice lady, paid the fee and we were on our way :)

This sounds like a pound rather than a rescue?

IME, rescues generally follow the below:

1. fill out a form, basic stuff such as the size of dog, if you have a garden etc.
    2. View the dogs they have.
    3. Speak with a member of staff.
    4. Meet the dog
    5. Come back and have all house members meet the dog (including cat, other dog etc.)
    6. Arrange a home visit.
    7. Arrange an adoption date.
    8. Bring ID, proof of address, (permission to have pet on premises, if applicable), dog licence.
    9. Bring your new friend home and start enjoying your new life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Well, we got our Rosie from a rescue in 2008 and they said that because we had adopted a dog from them in 1998, they let us take her home there and then. We were fully prepared to wait and have them home check us - in fact, I asked them did they want to do one and they said no, it was fine.

Ah I don't mind them checking the home etc as I'd like them to know that the dog is safe :) just really keen on getting the dog and would have loved to take him home that day :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Ah I don't mind them checking the home etc as I'd like them to know that the dog is safe :) just really keen on getting the dog and would have loved to take him home that day :P

wouldnt we all :D but it rarely works out that way. even after i signed for my girl i still had to wait another 5 weeks for her as she had a skin condition and they wanted to make sure she was ok again before i got her.

while thats an extreme case you may have to wait for various reasons. just so you're aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jen84

Yeah I reckon you will definately have to wait for the home check if its one of the larger better known rescue centres, I think its fairly standard procedure. If you go to some of the smaller rescues that use foster homes rather than all the dogs in one shelter it's normally alot faster like we got our dog that day. They wouldn't really have the resources or personnel for home checks so I'd say they only insist on doing one when they are suspicious of the person taking it. If you go to your local pound you can probably get the dog that day provided you bring a dog license I think and pay fee but those dogs haven't generally been vet checked or assessed so probably better or with a proper rescue that will have assessed dogs temperament etc especially if you have kids. Although they are the ones really on death row

I like jack russells too! I have a little jack x westie and she's a lovely, smart, lively little girl. Digs up garden tho !! Definately sounds like its a little terrier type you're after anyway. Don't disregard some of the bigger dogs like the lurchers- I would never have thought of getting one but they make fab pets apparently, and they usually pretty quiet & gentle as adults (i.e. not boisterous in the house). Don't need much walking aswell. I used to volunteer in a shelter and everyone loved the lurchers!!

Best of luck anyway with the new family member!!http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

Advertisement