Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the church be made to pay property tax, septic tank tax and water charges?

• 22-04-2012 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Something useful exposed in the Daily Fail for a change :)

Good man Enda,.......... Go for it :p

It may have the country’s largest private property portfolio but despite owning thousands of houses, the Catholic Church does not have to pay a cent in household charges. The Church, which at one point owned or occupied at least 10,700 houses, schools, halls, churches and shops around the country, has an exemption from all property taxes because it is a charity.

With 1,368 parishes in Ireland – many containing several parochial homes and other properties – the Church may be getting off the hook for up to €500,000 a year in Environment Minister Phil Hogan’s new tax, despite its massive wealth and land interests.

The charge may be just €100 a year at current rates but the Government is expected to introduce much higher fees, which could rise to €1,000 for certain properties

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2133331/Irish-bishops-palaces-exempt-homes-charge.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes, next question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

If the government got the Catholic Church to pay all its own abuse compensation itself , instead of the taxpayer bailing it out, then none of us would be bothered with the relatively minor household 100 euro tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

OP, do you ever get a headache from what appears your constant search for things that annoy you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

it would be better if all church property was seized and all members of the clergy jailed or deported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Oh look a church thread in after hours....fancy that

To answer though, yes if everyone has to pay that stupid tax they should too

• Advertisement

paky wrote: »
    it would be better if all church property was seized and all members of the clergy jailed or deported

Why?

And deport the Irish one's to where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

yes, why shouldn't they? everyone else has to so why not the churches? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

and what exactly happens if the church refuses to pay & pay fines. Does phil take the pope to court? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

and what exactly happens if the church refuses to pay & pay fines. Does phil take the pope to court? :confused:
    Since he's the managing director of the business I would guess a European arrest warrant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Jesus no.............Holy god and baby jesus would cry their eyes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why?

Spike Island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Since he's the managing director of the business I would guess a European arrest warrant

and the pope says no :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

TBF with the Septic tank tax they'd have to pay millions with the amount of shi*e spewed at Sunday mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

You cannot single out the church, it would have to be all charities, sporting organisations etc.

Oh wait, this is another church bashing thread... please carry on.:rolleyes:

vicwatson wrote: »
    Spike Island

As a part of Ireland it strictly wouldn't be a deportation.

I assume you were referring to the jailing part of the poster's comment but as he wanted allmembers jailed or deported isn't it a bit heavy handed and extreme.

Not to mention wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Why?

where do you think, Rome?

we should pass legislation making it illegal to be a member of the clergy considering all the crimes and coverups that were committed in its name, and then get the criminal assets bureau to seize all property and money the church holds in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Here's a question, apart from the extra amazing stuff they get, why would the church qualify as a charity? I thought that sh!t was a religion. Do I go to Hell for not giving money to Barnardos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

WTF?

We really need need to secularise this fucking country and stop treating the religious institutions with kid gloves.

paky wrote: »
    where do you think, Rome?

we should pass legislation making it illegal to be a member of the clergy considering all the crimes and coverups that were committed in its name, and then get the criminal assets bureau to seize all property and money the church holds in ireland

Send them all to Rome!!!! :)

Really make it illegal to be a member of the clergy? Seems a bit extreme considering the thread is about property tax and septic tank tax.

Church bashing thread in full flow.

Let's see if the church has to pay the taxes before you pass this legislation and then make all other charities illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

From my reading of Section 4 of the legislation all organisations designated as charities are exempt. There is an extensive list. So the question would be why exempt any or all of these bodies who own property which would normally be liable.

Is there any reason to single out the Catholic Church and make them liable when they legally hold the same charitable status as the other bodies on the list?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/authorised-charities.html

• Advertisement

From my reading of Section 4 of the legislation all organisations designated as charities are exempt. There is an extensive list. So the question would be why exempt any or all of these bodies who own property which would normally be liable.

Is there any reason to single out the Catholic Church and make them liable when they legally hold the same charitable status as the other bodies on the list?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/authorised-charities.html

Because this is AH and the full picture will only become apparent after about 2 pages of vitriol against the Catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

of course it should, its a business. there is nothing religious about the catholic cult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Yes...

Let them bend over and take it for a change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Yawn, another anti-catholic thread which seeks to support the chattering Public sector classes in the style they are accustomed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Manach wrote: »
    Yawn, another anti-catholic thread which seeks to support the chattering Public sector classes in the style they are accustomed to.

Do you really think that the Catholic Church paying property tax for the services it receives is anti-Catholic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

WIth the **** it's spewed out over the years, yes it should pay septic tank tax.

WIth the **** it's spewed out over the years, yes it should pay septic tank tax.

at least septic tanks get the rotten-ness cleaned out of them now and again.

The RCC just transfers it elsewhere in the system....or denies it existed at all. (what baby? what abuse ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Yes the church should pay all those fees/taxes. Why should they be exempt?

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

They are exempt because they are a charity.

I'm sick and tired of all the church bashing threads on this website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Something useful exposed in the Daily Fail for a change :)

Good man Enda,.......... Go for it :p

It may have the country’s largest private property portfolio but despite owning thousands of houses, the Catholic Church does not have to pay a cent in household charges. The Church, which at one point owned or occupied at least 10,700 houses, schools, halls, churches and shops around the country, has an exemption from all property taxes because it is a charity.

With 1,368 parishes in Ireland – many containing several parochial homes and other properties – the Church may be getting off the hook for up to €500,000 a year in Environment Minister Phil Hogan’s new tax, despite its massive wealth and land interests.

The charge may be just €100 a year at current rates but the Government is expected to introduce much higher fees, which could rise to €1,000 for certain properties

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2133331/Irish-bishops-palaces-exempt-homes-charge.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I assume that it's not just the Catholic Church, but all religious orders that are being exempt yeah? The Mail doesn't mention the others, presumably because that might get in the way of everyone getting good and outraged. Anyone know what the story with property owned by other faiths is?

daddydick wrote: »
    with your username I am not surprised;) (father prick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭StudentDad

A charity?

LOL

That is funny.

Legally the church may qualify for charitable status. Morally I'm not so sure.

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mackg wrote: »
    I assume that it's not just the Catholic Church, but all religious orders that are being exempt yeah? The Mail doesn't mention the others, presumably because that might get in the way of everyone getting good and outraged. Anyone know what the story with property owned by other faiths is?

I would have no problem whatsoever if all church denominations were told to cough up,

The new new testament "Church" is supposed to represent the body of people not the all the fancy buildings gold and wealth that goes with it.

The service I went to today was in a small rented out community hall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Free advice.
    Dont engage with stuff you dont like.
    Engage with stuff you do.
    Lots of love
    GB

Advertisement