Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure treated timber for DIY greenhouse

• 22-04-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm just at the initial figuring out stage of this project. Just wondering if anyone could advise me on the size of timber I should use. 4 x 2 or would 2 x 2 suffice? I'm on a very tight budget so after checking out prices I'm hoping someone says 2 x 2 will be fine!
    The basic plan it to erect a simple enough 6 ft cube plus roof (not decided on the design of the roof yet). I'll be using heavy gauge polythene panels for the walls, probably out of 2 x 1, which will sit into the outer frame.
    The enemy of course will be wind, but with cross-bracing I'm hoping 2 X 2 will do the job.
    Thanks a lot for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Anyone? Please? Even if you have no gardening/greenhouse experience I'm basically wondering if you could build a small sturdy structure from 2 x 2 treated timber.
    Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

redser7 wrote: »
    Anyone? Please? Even if you have no gardening/greenhouse experience I'm basically wondering if you could build a small sturdy structure from 2 x 2 treated timber.
    Cheers

16 foot length of PT 2 x 2 is 4 euro 64 cents per length

16 foot 3 x 2 is just under 10 euro.

Heiton Buckleys or Chadwicks.

You could build it from 2 x 2 but you woud need to brace the fcuk out of it.
    3 x 2 would be sturdier but heavier too.

Id go with 3 x 2 if I were doing it myself.
    Treated Decking screws for screwing the frame together.

Pic of 2 x 2 siting beside 3 x 2 for you to compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Cheers Paddy, that's very helpful

Advertisement