Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over reach ?? Help

Options
  • 22-04-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I think the only thing it can be is an over reach but it is very high just under fetlock.
    If any one has seen this before and has any suggestion on how to stop it or where I can get boots to protect the area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Is it at the back of the fetlock (like where you'd expect an over-reach, just higher) or towards the side of the leg?

If the cut is near the fetlock, then it's possible the horse just hit itself when it stumbled, hit off a pole, or just lost attention when walking/trotting/cantering (kind of like a human does every now and again when we lose attention). It's also possible that the nick was caused by an extra sharp/long clench on the inside of the opposite foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 champie

It is just under ergot at back of both legs about an inch to an inch and half long and straight but just looks like an over reach but in a very awkward spot! it is the second time he's done it both times after doing some cross country.
    I have talked to a few people about it some suggest boots some suggest corrective shoeing he has a full set of shoes on at the moment and has had them for about a month but has been shod full set for the last 8 months some suggest taking off back shoes and leaving him barefoot behind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Have you any photos of it?

Maybe try exercise bandages as opposed to boots as they offer more area of protection but they are quite difficult to put on and I would get someone who knows how to put them on correctly before trying it yourself. Make sure you also rub the horses legs down every time you use them.
    There's also porter boots, which are designed for cross country but they're expensive.

It is my son's horse he is only 13 so I want something that he can put on himself as I would not be there everyday to bandage him myself and would be afraid of him doing more damage by putting bandages on wrong:(
    I will get picture tomorrow of it nearly healed now but you'll get the idea of the injury site
    The horse is only 5 and still green but coming along nicely has done just 2 pre novice cross country tracks but have created a monster my son loves it the pony he had before was not good in open spaces used to take off on him so we just avoided it as he wasn't experienced enough to deal with it and the pony was to small for me to ride and sort out but this horse is a dream and I know he wants to do alot more out door things with him thats why I want to get this sorted asap as I'm afraid of horse doing serious damage if he continues to mark himself

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Picture says a 1000 words and all that, my cob is a big mover and would be likely to strike himself higher than an overreach boot would protect so he has neoprene exercise boots, they wrap around his legs and come right down over his fetlocks. can be worn with over reachers as well but i find they offer a lot of protection especially for cross country.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73584074@N08/7109447387/

• Advertisement

Picture attached I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think silverfoxs or any combination boot should help prevent too many knocks on that area :)

Advertisement