Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stains on outside of aquarium

Options
  • 22-04-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

So when we moved house and put the tank into the alcove in the new house we put it in backwards without realising. It was only when we filled it up and set up and had it installed that we realised there was a staining on the front. We've assumed it was limescale from where water occasionally get between the tank and the stick on background. But limescale remover won't take it off!

It's like a smokey stain, whitish in colour, (brown/orange bits are tank decorations). Anyone any ideas on how to get rid of it?

picture.php?albumid=1520&pictureid=12597

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Try methylated spirits. Normally it gets anything off glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Agreed with the meths... you could also try vinegar, lemon juice or baking soda with a drop of water added to make a paste.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Does a razor blade have any effect or is the glass actually discoloured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Thanks guys, will try meths and vinegar/baking powder paste and let you know.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Does a razor blade have any effect or is the glass actually discoloured?

I haven't gone near it with a glass scraper, was afraid of scratching the glass, I'll try that and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Before getting out the razor blade, try the "gritty" end of an ink rubber/eraser.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If you're going to use a blade, make sure it's brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Timfy wrote: »
    Before getting out the razor blade, try the "gritty" end of an ink rubber/eraser.
    Good idea, not thought of that before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have a list of things to buy now :) Fingers crossed one of them will work cos I really dont' want to have to look at buying a new tank

Advertisement