Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings account

Options
  • 23-04-2012 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

What is the best way of setting up a savings account with Bank of Ireland?

I have already a current account with them and I use 365 Internet banking but would like the option of transferring money from my current account into my savings account with the click of a mouse. I would like the option of having control of how much savings I can put in each month to this savings account.

I hate going to the bank to get drafts to withdraw sums of cash and put them into a savings account in another bank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

You can open an online savings account here with Bank of Ireland.

Three options here for you.

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/savings/365-online-deposit-suite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

teednab-el wrote: »
    What is the best way of setting up a savings account with Bank of Ireland?

I have already a current account with them and I use 365 Internet banking but would like the option of transferring money from my current account into my savings account with the click of a mouse. I would like the option of having control of how much savings I can put in each month to this savings account.

I hate going to the bank to get drafts to withdraw sums of cash and put them into a savings account in another bank.

Why restrict yourself to BoI? KBC, for example, give 3.25% AER on instant access savings. You can wire money to a KBC account from your BoI current account. BoI do not have the highest rates right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

You can open an online savings account here with Bank of Ireland.

Three options here for you.

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/savings/365-online-deposit-suite

Excellent, I have set it up now. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I thought the interest rate on BOI's online account was .1%?

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I thought the interest rate on BOI's online account was .1%?

Won't be transferring large sums of money and its still better than putting it into a credit union where there is zilch interest. Just want it there to make me try and save something per month. I save every so often but I want this to become a monthly occurrence. 500 euro is max that I want to save per month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

teednab-el wrote: »
    Won't be transferring large sums of money and its still better than putting it into a credit union where there is zilch interest. Just want it there to make me try and save something per month. I save every so often but I want this to become a monthly occurrence. 500 euro is max that I want to save per month.

You'd still be better off setting up an online savings account that pays a good interest rate. You'd be doing the exact same thing but at least you'd be earning a bit of money. It won't sound like much but all that interest compounded over many years will add up to a serious amount.

Use this here (http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calculator.htm) to calculate what you could be missing out on. If you save €6,000 a year (that's €500 a month) over 10 years, you will notice a massive difference in the amount you earn. At 0.1% you would have saved a total of 60,000 and earn about €330 in interest. At 3.25% you'd earn over €11,840 in interest. You'd be crazy to not put that money in an account earning you more interest.

You'd still be better off setting up an online savings account that pays a good interest rate. You'd be doing the exact same thing but at least you'd be earning a bit of money. It won't sound like much but all that interest compounded over many years will add up to a serious amount.

Use this here (http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calculator.htm) to calculate what you could be missing out on. If you save €6,000 a year (that's €500 a month) over 10 years, you will notice a massive difference in the amount you earn. At 0.1% you would have saved a total of 60,000 and earn about €330 in interest. At 3.25% you'd earn over €11,840 in interest. You'd be crazy to not put that money in an account earning you more interest.

I have already another savings account with permanent tsb that offers 3.25% and if I would save 1500 a month, 1000 of this would go into the permanent tsb account and the rest into the bank of Ireland account. The BOI account is short term savings only. I can always take it out of the BOI savings and into PTSB account in a few months provided I give 30 days notice when doing so.

Advertisement