Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Simply Broadband. No Contract, 24mb, no limit. Whats the catch???

• 23-04-2012 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

https://www.magnet.ie/

€40 pm
    No Contract
    No Download Limit
    No Telephone
    No Line Rental
    Up to 24Mb Broadband
    FREE aertv
    Hassle free switching

There HAS to be a catch somewhere. Will be ringing them tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has any experience with Magnet??
    I'll also give Smart a ring, their uncongested 24mb seems really good too at €30 pm, but has a 12 month contract..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Don't know about prices etc, but I've been using Magnet for 2 years and their service is second to none. It never ever goes down, it's never slow etc. So even if it was €50 it's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I assume, just my cynical nature, the catch would be that you pay for the installation costs and the equipment costs upfront.

But it will be good to get a definitive answer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I too am a cynical c**t;) so was expecting something!
    Turns out its not available where I live...

You do pay a deposit on the modem, but you get that back afterwards. There is no set up cost for the 'Simply Boradband' package, but the package they do have available to me is basically the same thing but €55 pm (because of the eircom line rental) + €50 connection fee. Otherwise its similar i.e. no contract...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I think the no contract thing is a bit of a gimmick though, it's advantage is relative. For example ...
    • Do you think you'll be moving within 12 months?
    • Do you think there'll be a better (ie. cheap and faster) broadband offer available elsewhere in the next 12 months?
    • Do you think either providers service will deteriorate to unacceptable levels within 12 months?
    If the answer is no to all these then the contract isn't relevant, whats more important is the price. I'd say the only catch with Magnet is it's €10.05 extra per month, and you get no phone service. I think Magnet have a cheek to list "No Telephone" in the product description as if it's a benefit. Also deposit or not, with Magnet you're paying for a modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

Oracle wrote: »
    I think the no contract thing is a bit of a gimmick though, it's advantage is relative. For example ...
    • Do you think you'll be moving within 12 months?
    • Do you think there'll be a better (ie. cheap and faster) broadband offer available elsewhere in the next 12 months?
    • Do you think either providers service will deteriorate to unacceptable levels within 12 months?
    • Do you think you'll be unemployed within 12 months?
    • Do you think the broadband market will change in the next 12 months?
    • Will you find out that you live further than 1 mile from an exchange within 12 months and this affects your ping and rates?

If you live within a mile of an exchange and never anticipate using the customer services then this is an ok offer.

Magnet cannot figure out your download rates until after you sign up and wait a month to get the modem. Only then can you and magnet check the lucky dip bag that is the eircon network after two pilfering sessions by vulture funds over the last 8 years.

The phone can by replaced by a VOIP operator for cent on the euro.

Yeah: 200 posts in 10 years - can I double that over the next 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Treora wrote: »

If you live within a mile of an exchange and never anticipate using the customer services then this is an ok offer.

Magnet cannot figure out your download rates until after you sign up and wait a month to get the modem. Only then can you and magnet check the lucky dip bag that is the eircon network after two pilfering sessions by vulture funds over the last 8 years.

Yeah its a case of whats the best of a bad bunch where I'm living at the moment. Nobody can tell me what speeds are available here unless I sign up, but the house did have Vodafone 24mb recently. I'v heard horror stories about every ISP's customer service too...

Seems to be down to Magnet or Vodafone for me at the moment.
    Magnet
    24mb
    Cost pm €55
    Setup €50
    contract no

Vodafone
    24mb
    Cost pm €55
    Setup €50
    contract 12 month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Treora wrote: »
    .... The phone can by replaced by a VOIP operator for cent on the euro.....

Yes you could make cheap calls using VoIP, the problem with Simply Broadband is not having a landline number you can be phoned on. There's usually a cost (once-off or subscription) to port your landline number over to a VoIP provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Also worth noting that Magnet will never throttle you. I stream Sky Go and sport events every week at home, my girlfriend watches Slovak TV on Myeuro.tv every day, our usage must be well over 500gb a month and not once have they throttled us or told us we're using too much bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

I've magnet bb, with the zyxel router. Nas drive and ps3 hard wired to zyxel, then laptop, two smartphones and android tablet over wi-fi. The laptop is fine, the hard wired equipment is fine, but the phones and tablet constantly losing connection to router. Have to keep activating airplane mode then off again and reconnects. this doesn't SOUND like a big problem, buts it's driving me CRAZY!

Lads straight out, a solution, or am I going to pc-world TODAY for a new router, if so, which?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The payment bounced on this and the service was cut off. I switched to UPC thinking nothing of it, since I didn't have a contract with magnet.

I just received a call from magnet looking for 2 months of bills, 30 days cancellation notice and a disconnection charge.

I was under the impression that since there was no contract and I had no service to use anyway, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Anyone else in a similar boat after signing up to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dregin wrote: »
    The payment bounced on this and the service was cut off. I switched to UPC thinking nothing of it, since I didn't have a contract with magnet.

I just received a call from magnet looking for 2 months of bills, 30 days cancellation notice and a disconnection charge.

I was under the impression that since there was no contract and I had no service to use anyway, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Anyone else in a similar boat after signing up to this?

Email comregs complaints department and CC them, stating a full timeline. Should shut them up.

Advertisement