Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever won anything?

• 23-04-2012 2:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Last week I got 4 numbers on the Euromillions. Given the crazy amounts that go on that I thought I would have a few hundred... but no, a tenner :(

Anyone ever won anything big on lottery, bookies, raffles etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I got 5 numbers on the lotto a few years ago, won 1100 quid:D

damn you, sixth number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i once won a costume competition in my primary school. i was a cowboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Won a lot of things through magazines like Smash hits, Bunty, Mizz, Barbie, Big Time etc back years ago like when i was about 10, best one being Swingball and a Barbie swimsuit and a letter from "Barbie" telling me i had great potential with drawing :)

plus the odd 50e/100e on the lotto, well the dad won it but i got half of it as i went up to the shops to get it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

FatherLen wrote: »
    i once won a costume competition in my primary school. i was a cowboy.
    Damn you I came close...
    I was so desperate to win the schools sports day competition, I pre planned my costume and bought all the supplies before hand with what money I had.

The costumes were based on what team we were on blue, yellow, red or black.

Well I was on the black team and turned up to school head to toe black, all my skin I was blacked up by my own doing and had no idea.

I didn't win, didn't even get a merit even though I obviously put the most effort in.

a number of years later in sixth class I was called out second last in a raffle and had a choice between a plastic stick specifically designed to open small cartons when you've lost your straw or a toddlers picture book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,309 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I once won a mobile phone in a text in competition!! Worth 249 Euro at the time. All Right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Oh yeah almost forgot when I was in 4th class our quiz team got knocked out just before the all Ireland quiz thing and part of our prize was a credit union account with a few quid in it, I stupidly closed the account to get money for a hair dryer should of kept it open now who will lend me money for that drum kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Won two Motorbikes within the space of 6 months.

Scooter through a Sunday World text message competition and a VFR 400 Honda at a Motorcycle Show. Sold both of them and put the cash into a CBR 900. Points system came in about six months later. Sold the Fireblade shortly after. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

When I was a baby my mother used to throw my name on every competition she entered and I won quite a bit of stuff; a coffee maker, two sets of fancy glasses, some cutlery and a number of hampers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

The first thing I ever won was a ticket to go on a steam train in a class raffle. There were about 20 people in the class and the number we had to guess was between 1 and 20. I was the last desk so I thought my luck was out. As she went around the class I noticed that nobody said 2 so when it came my turn I said 2 and got me on the choo choo! It was a load of shíte!

During the 2004 world cup I won a hand held telly off a ring pull on a can of coke. I called after six weeks and they said they never received the ring pull but they sent the telly anyway. It was a pile of shíte!

I won a free flight with Ryanair when they were doing the on board raffle. Buy something from the trolley and get a ticket. The flight I ended up booking was worth a euro but of course I had to pay the taxes so there ya go. More shíte!

God I hate winning things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

No, nothing... or maybe I've just such negative an outlook on life I don't even recall

Else.. maybe winning transcends objectivity. Maybe winnings a mentality.. Maybe when I'm losing I could just put on a positive spin n turn it to win - maybe I'm winning right now!!

.. maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Most I won was €24 off the lotto... whooptidoo

Also won some cheap piece of "Radio Headphones" off some car dealership comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I won a blockbusters board game and 5 tins of baked beans and sausages, which was the combined first prize. Runner up got the beans but no game, the poor devils.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I used to win quite a lot on greyhounds and horses but I kinda drifted away from it. The mother thought it would be great craic to send me a few scratch cards for christmas in Melbourne. I won €4, I don't think that's even enough to send it back to be cashed. I'll get her back though, she's going to a crap nursing home!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

My brother won ten grand years and years ago on a scratch card.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

I won €1500 off the radio a few years back,
    It was called whats that number on Todayfm. After each news bulletin, listeners were giving one digit of a mobile phone from a prefixed 086 so it took 7 news bulletins :( to get the number,the first person to ring this number won the prize.

So with no credit as I was broke until I got paid,I was in a phone booth with the radio from my phone with just €2 waiting for the last number.
    I think I cursed around 3 or 4 times on live air with excitement when I won(Oops) think It was around 9am that morning!!

Mostly spent on two holidays to Galway and Greece that summer.Happy memories.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I won €7,200 in the local GAA club lotto. Won it about a year after I bought my house, very welcome. : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I won a laptop in a machine in Bray a couple of years ago, and I've won an 80gb ipod and other small stuff.

Money wise I've won the odd 50 on scratchcard and a few hundred quid on slot machines. I put a euro into one in Quirkey's once and took 250 quid out of it

I've won dozens of table quizzes too. My proudest achievement though is winning the cadbury's table quiz when I was 10 because i got a massive box of chocolate bars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Similar here, syndicate at work, 5 numbers meant a couple of hundred each, if we had the sixth number, 78K each (punts) would have being nice at the time, syndicate still going but no real luck playing €21 a week :(

Next door neighbour years ago won a new car on a lotto scratchcard

damn you, sixth number[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Money wise the most i ever won was about a grand, won 2 grand once but as part of a lotto syndicate, my cut was about 300 i think. Won a car once in one of those pound (at the time) a ticket raffles you see in shopping centres. Those were the highpoints of my winnings, apart from that the odd 50 or 20 here and there is about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

saa wrote: »
    Oh yeah almost forgot when I was in 4th class our quiz team got knocked out just before the all Ireland quiz thing and part of our prize was a credit union account with a few quid in it, I stupidly closed the account to get money for a hair dryer should of kept it open now who will lend me money for that drum kit.

Me too! And the year after we were going to win but they replaced one of the team with the teachers son... and he was sh*t :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

My brother won ten grand years and years ago on a scratch card.

Did you see any of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Mooney's Money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

won about 1500 quid worth of dj equipment off a youtube video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I won Employee of the Month. €25. What a crock of bum emissions. My gf has won a night in a 5 star hotel and a €30 chipper voucher in the last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Won €900 in the bookies off a soccer match 4 years ago, Macedonia v Croatia. Macedonia were 9/1, stuck a €100 on them to win et voila, I was laughing.

In the last month I have won about €400 with the bookies all through League of Ireland and Premiership. Won €120 on the Chelsea - Barca game. With scratch cards, the most I have ever won is €25 and with the Lotto it was around €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I won the 60 second quiz one day on 2fm. Won some CDs, a book and tickets to see The Frames in Cork. I live 260 miles from Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

won 400 quid on a 40/1 horse, won 230quid on another 40/1 horse most we`ve won on the lotto is 64 euros, although i did catch my missus with a prank where i made her think we had won 350,000, and i also won an advent calender in school when i was really young,can remember praying for me to win it, and ya wouldn't mind but all the little windows were already open....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

When I was about ten my dad used to buy tickets for a local club.you had to guess the scores in all the leaugue games. He was busy and asked me to fill it in. Pure chance as I knew sweet fa about football at that age. Got every game right. My dad won about 4k and I got a toy car.

Won a push bike from dunnes stores and more recently 2.5k in paddy power on the lotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

In playschool we were having a kind of sports day thing.

Teachers brought us to the top of a hill so we could have a race down the grass.

The race went like this:

Teacher: "Ok..............3.................2............."
    Duggy: "Nnnnneeaaarrggh!!!"

*Duggy takes off leaving everyone at the starting line*

Teacher: "Duggy,come back here now..........."

Got to the bottom of the hill without stopping and still won a medal :D

• Advertisement

I've won stuff like a story competition when I was 12 to have my story published. And I was south dublin bowling champion when I was 14 or 15 and I won a trophy and a walkman. But I've never won anything in a raffle or won money!

My Dad won "Dad of the Year" on TV3 a couple of years back and got 10k in tesco vouchers. My Aunt got 5 numbers + 1 star on the euromillions and won €345,000 (she got cancer very soon after and has since passed away). And my father in law won a 10 day holiday to South Africa. But me? Nadda!

I still firmly believe I will win the lotto some day. At least 500k.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

Won €2500 on Lotto Plus 2 some years back. Had five plus the bonus. It was on Christmas Eve too so would have been a lovely present to win the whole thing. Still paid off the credit card. Have won loads of smaller sums of money but never anything significant. I do know four people who have either won the lotto or top prize in the lotto plus games so reckon my chances of actually winnig are slim now. Still keep tryng though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Won a few mil on the Euromillions a few years ago.

Dolores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I won 950 quid on the lotto about 7 or 8 years ago :) More recently won a very nice digital camera:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

girl2 wrote: »
    I live 260 miles from Cork.

That must be awful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

token101 wrote: »
    That must be awful fantastic :)

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

token101 wrote: »
    That must be awful :( great :D

FYP :P

As a gambler you have plenty of winning times (and losing too) but I have never known a time like it at the moment, can't pick a winner, had more seconds than Oliver and more thirds than a public toilet :P Not betting all that often but when I do I know the outcome before it happens!

I remember winning a free lunch in a restaurant in a radio competition once, me Ma shouted up a history question to me, I answered, she rang into the radio station and gave my name. 'I' won and she got the free lunch plus I got a days abuse in school cos it was announced on the radio and I was accused of being a 'Swot' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Feck all worth talking about. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

won a father ted box set in a big bible years ago off the telly. won a vodafone fleece a few years ago too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I won €610 on a radio quiz about 4 years ago. That's about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Won two tickets to the Hunger Games in the Herald a few weeks back....talk about a dud prize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

An elephant courtesy of KBBL.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

I've won a Guitar signed by lots of artists who played at Oxegen 09 that I got off Phantom.

I won a trip to Ibiza last summer from miller after downing 18 pints of the piss over the course of an evening. Can barely remember winning.

Those would be the major ones, other than that bits and bobs!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

won this in 2000 http://www.gizmag.com/go/1328/picture/749/
    worlds first watch camera, there were no mobile phone cameras etc back then. Was so James bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fatfacee

I won a top of the range Bang & Olufsen tv :-) The only thing I ever won to date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Did you see any of it?

Hell no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Won 2,200 playing poker online Friday night it took 7 hours but was well worth it and it only cost me a fiver to play...sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Won tickets to The Hardy Bucks when they were in Cork not so long ago :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Won a new Xbox last month and a new Xperia S this month. Won 60 euro yesterday on a snooker bet and I won 40 on Lotto in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

I used to do the Lotto online until I got 3 emails 3 weeks in a row telling me "my account had been updated".... Excited was not the word!! I practically had my notice typed up...

I won 2 fivers and 45 quid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

I won a Den TV denim jacket & baseball cap when i was in school!!

Made my childhood!!!

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement