Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANZAC Day

Options
  • 23-04-2012 4:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Anybody got any plans for ANZAC day? Its my first here and I wondering what sort of stuff usually goes on?
    Is it a piss up Aussie pride kind of day or more chilled out than that?

I'm thinking of getting on my bike and cycling to the dawn service in Perth.
    Pretty cool and spectacular monument here in Kings Park.

201740.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll be doing the same thing I do every ANZAC day - sleeping in \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

It should be a somber day, a day of remembrance for the sacrifice of so many young lives. If it is seen as a piss up day by anyone then those people should hang their heads in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Probably being hungover and once that's out of the way I'll be out on the bike covering some km's.
    maybe even a few beach beers if the weather holds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Here's an interesting link, it lists Irish who enlisted as ANZAC soldiers.
    http://mappingouranzacs.naa.gov.au/map.aspx
    Click on the overseas tab and you should see England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland drop down. Click on the Ireland link and hit the flag nearest your hometown.
    You can even view their enlistment papers.
    You might even find a relative, some Irish ANZACs headed back to Ireland after the war, some took part in the following Irish wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you have never played 2UP before, it's usually a great day for it
    Basically it's heads and tails with two coins (both coins must land same side before a winner is called)

you bet with anyone you want - honour system, the guy who bets heads holds onto the money that tails gives him, and he either keeps or hands it all back.

Two years ago I was seeing rounds of 50 and 100's on heads and tails!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

catbear wrote: »
    Here's an interesting link, it lists Irish who enlisted as ANZAC soldiers.
    http://mappingouranzacs.naa.gov.au/map.aspx
    Click on the overseas tab and you should see England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland drop down. Click on the Ireland link and hit the flag nearest your hometown.
    You can even view their enlistment papers.
    You might even find a relative, some Irish ANZACs headed back to Ireland after the war, some took part in the following Irish wars.

That is astounding

There is a bloke in that that would have grown up in the same town at the same time as My Grandad however he was discharged as they they reckoned he was not likely to be an good Soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Will be working as normal.
    No change for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gazmc18

Anyone know of anything happening around Sydney?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

In fairness to the Aussies they have some fantastic memorials to their soldiers and others enlisted. The one in Melbourne is lovely with the gardens around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

gazmc18 wrote: »
    Anyone know of anything happening around Sydney?

Dawn service :
    http://www.events.nsw.gov.au

and 2-Up is a big event too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    If you have never played 2UP before, it's usually a great day for it
    Basically it's heads and tails with two coins (both coins must land same side before a winner is called)

you bet with anyone you want - honour system, the guy who bets heads holds onto the money that tails gives him, and he either keeps or hands it all back.

Two years ago I was seeing rounds of 50 and 100's on heads and tails!
    It can be played with 2 or 3 coins. The difference being that there is always "2-up" with 3 coins, but with 2 coins will be odd half the time and need to be spun again.
    I've seen it escalate past 100 per person per spin a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

In fairness to the Aussies they have some fantastic memorials to their soldiers and others enlisted. The one in Melbourne is lovely with the gardens around it.
    They really do respect their fallen. I was always really disappointed with the garden of remembrance in Dublin, couldn't just sit there without being subjected to scumbag and junky fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Up at 3.15am, off to the base, rum coffee, dawn service, that bloody bugle player, beer and breakfast and now a parade and more beer and some 2up. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Went to Watsonia barracks nice service. Bloody wet.

Advertisement