Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Day of school - yes or no?

Options
  • 23-04-2012 8:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Would you let your teen stay a day off school if they were really tired?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Depends entirely on the circumstances....

Day off school because they are tired from an illness or unavoidable situation that kept them up late (ie accident) then yes.

Day off school because they stayed up gaming, watching telly, badly timed return from a holiday, hungover etc, no.

If they are constantly tired I would suggest a trip to a GP or a good supply of red bull ;-)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I was with you till you said Red Bull.

Cork24 wrote: »
    I was with you till you said Red Bull.

Complete with wink... In seriousness I would not suggest Caffeine or Taurine based drugs or energy drinks.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

No I wouldn't, but I would make sure they went to bed early for the next 3 nights to catch up on sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Depends!

I cant say for sure under what circumstances i would allow her to stay home,But the chances are if she was physically exhausted one day and asks for the day of school i would agree. The term wreaked tired comes to mind...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Nope, it's teaching them you can duck your responsibilities. In their future they'll have days when they're exhausted and won't want to go to work but they'll have to. Before that, if they go to college, they'll have days when they're hungover and would probably rather give the 9am lecture a miss but they really should go to it.

If they're tired, they can get an early night or have a lie in at the weekend.

And the winner for the most apt username of the day goes to.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I have done with my daughter if I feel she needs it. I think if they are in the Leaving Cert programme for example and are genuinely :D working hard then they may need the (very) occasional day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It would depend on the reason why the teen is so tired and was a one off. Maybe let him/her sleep on a bit later and go in for 11am break so he or she gets to attend most of the day.

I wouldn't like to see it become a habit though.

Advertisement