Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will you tell your grandchildren about these times ?

• 23-04-2012 8:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

"May you live in interesting times".
    When your grandkids or even your kids ask you about these times 30 years from now what will you tell them.
    Will you recount the great recession of the late noughties, the fall of the Catholic Church, the corruption of politicians, 9/11, rise of the internet or just jumbo breakfast rolls.
    What will be the one major defining thing of our time that you will recount ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Tell them that the place on their maps thats called Nuclear Wasteland used to be called the middle east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

Tell then I used to work in a Multi National corp that left Ireland but, hey, It was the best thing ever because after the unions agreed a non sustainable and ridiculous redundancy package I had to sign on the dole, whereby the Government proceeded to give me a free house, medical care, waivers to all new ill thought out stealth taxes and loads of other additional benifits that basically meant that going back to work was not an option and that my grandson, is why you live in this 5 bed mansion in Foxrock with the ultra modern 10 seater people carrier car, state funded:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

No idea, but it will almost certainly be by Skype.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

How George Lucas became a bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Krispie wrote: »
    Tell then I used to work in a Multi National corp that left Ireland but, hey, It was the best thing ever because after the unions agreed a non sustainable and ridiculous redundancy package I had to sign on the dole, whereby the Government proceeded to give me a free house, medical care, waivers to all new ill thought out stealth taxes and loads of other additional benifits that basically meant that going back to work was not an option and that my grandson, is why you live in this 5 bed mansion in Foxrock with the ultra modern 10 seater people carrier car, state funded:D:D:D

i will tell them....about the time when we only had a thousand television programmes to watch, footballers only got a measly hundred grand a match.....and the imf was not a high street bank.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'll tell them about how we tried to get in the Guinness book of records by seeing how many water meters we could cram up our local FG TD's arse.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'll tell them about how we tried to get in the Guinness book of records by seeing how many water meters we could cram up our local FG TD's arse.

wre they the self regulating type......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

That it rained in the morning, and cleared up in the afternoon. I nearly remembered something else there, but it's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Why is political corruption so noteworthy? It'll still be around in when my grandkids are born. I'd be mentioning Fukushima, Chernobyl, the rise and fall of the US etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Will tell them the reason why Ireland was destroyed was because the dumb Irish people kept voting for austerity and this is why your country today is so banjaxed. Back then Irish people loved austerity and couldn't help themselves but to constantly vote for it as they were the slaves of germany.

When brussels spoke, the Irish people hid in their little houses and were very afraid to come out until brussels forced more austerity onto them and when it quietened down they came back out to vote more austerity for themselves and this is why you are only 3 stone now as we can't feed you anymore. and on it goes son as we love austerity and do nothing to protest about it. And now it's you're turn son to go out there and work hard to pay off the german banks and enjoy all the austerity you can get and in time you can tell you're grandchildren to enjoy the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'll tell them that we had a weak taoiseach who was more interested in pleasing Europe than sorting out the best deal for Ireland. I'll tell them that his ministers repeatedly told lies. I'll tell them that we had a weak opposition that couldn't hold the government to account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

I'll tell them about a poster that once posted on boards who was so subtle in trolling that he brought a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'll read them the bedtime story; The collapse of the free world (wide web) a tale documenting the life of Sean Sherlock as a junior minister.

tell them about the time...when you could buy sweets from a shop, with having to show that you were not allergic to anything.......

about the times when you could run around playgrounds........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'll tell them of the times when the Gardaí were an unarmed police force instead of an oppressive wing of the IMF. I'll also tell them that the only reason they are around is because I was unable to afford condoms in the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

zenno wrote: »
    Will tell them the reason why Ireland was destroyed was because the dumb Irish people kept voting for austerity and this is why your country today is so banjaxed. Back then Irish people loved austerity and couldn't help themselves but to constantly vote for it as they were the slaves of germany.

When brussels spoke, the Irish people hid in their little houses and were very afraid to come out until brussels forced more austerity onto them and when it quietened down they came back out to vote more austerity for themselves and this is why you are only 3 stone now as we can't feed you anymore. and on it goes son as we love austerity and do nothing to protest about it. And now it's you're turn son to go out there and work hard to pay off the german banks and enjoy all the austerity you can get and in time you can tell you're grandchildren to enjoy the same.

You'll want to make sure they're old enough to understand satire, first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'll tell them of the times when the Gardaí were an unarmed police force instead of an oppressive wing of the IMF

But then they'd open a history book or old newspaper and realise that grandad was full of sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

No. It was just the worst of times.
    They got a revolution.

I'll tell them that young people used to think that old grandads stank of piss, and could they please confirm that nothing has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

zenno wrote: »

Yes, well said. I for one have had enough of AUSTERITY, and think it's time for some PROSPERITY. That's what I'm going to vote for from now on. On reflection, it was silly to vote for austerity when a better alternative was freely available, and could be brought into existence with the stroke of a pen. I won't make that mistake again.

Hopefully I'll be able to tell my grandchildren about this schoolboy error that so many of us made, and advise them to always vote Prosperity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I'll be boring them with stories of how Soylent Green tasted better before they added people to the recipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That I may be old but I'll fùckin' kick their arses in Super Mario Kart on the SNES.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

How reality tv and social media killed music for good :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Man Utd were a decent team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

That in my day we had respect, ya little fcukers...

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

How reality tv and social media killed music for good :cool:

It's not dead, you're just looking for it in the wrong places ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Skynet became aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Well seeing as I'm 21 I'll tell my grandkids that on 9/11 I was doing my homework in the library, they wheeled out a tv everyone was crowded around in and people coming in off the streets to see what was going on, my friend asked me to go see what the fuss was about, I saw a reporter near the towers walked back to the desk and told my friend it was just some fire somewhere in America, no biggie and finished my homework.

Oh and of course I'll tell them about this thing we used to have called the dole!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    What will be the one major defining thing of our time that you will recount ?.
    "Uuuh, back then we didn't have to pay the breathing tax..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'll tell them that the 80's were worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

I'll tell them about that marvellous day when Al Gore invented the internet in 2004.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Hypothetically speaking, I'd tell them things were much worse in my day. That we had to walk 20 miles to school and back, uphill both ways. That we had none of yer fancy bail-outs thankyouverymuch, we Irish paid our own way. That an entire family shared a single pair of shoes. That Enda Kenny used to come round to each house, pilfer your savings that you hid under your mattress because them bankers weren't trustworthy. That Sean Sherlock trailed behind him, unplugging everybody's modems and declaring we should all start learning NewSpeak.

Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

THE HARD WINTER OF 10/11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I will tell them about the time that I was forced to eat my dog because we were so poor becasue of the recession. :(

I will tell them about global warming and how Ireland had 30 degree temperatures every day before climate change.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

It'll all be about the weekend at the start of May 2012 when grandad won €40 million on the Euro millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

'well back then there was this political party full of teachers and publicans and general shysters called Fianna Fail, they had this corrupt ****** as leader who bought 3 general elections with idiotic policies like bench-marking, creating crazy inflation in property prices...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

facekicker + terry naked should be enough to kep the youngin's away for a while

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Well Child ..".We did'nt care enough about important matters and jumped around like Baboons holding Pints when the Football was on the Telly .That was how this Country became a halting site ."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll tell them to learn from them. Not to make the same mistakes as their great-grandparents and my own generations did. I'll also probably tell them all the things their parents are doing wrong and why they shouldn't do those either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

not to get a 100% mortgage ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Not to pay too much attention to reeling in the years, that there were still people with more sense than daddys money and not everyone was a hipster, that everybody hated the crustys at occupy dame street and that there was no revolution to televise, that indie music was still considered as shít then as it is now , and that it was in those times we didnt know that nigella lawson was immortal and she was still that hot in my day.

IM0 wrote: »
    not to get a 100% mortgage ;)

...and then tell them that there's another 75 years of repayments, most of which they'll have to make when the mortgage gets left to them in your will.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Well - I'll be calling my child Joe.

and I'll be telling him about how a disgrace it was..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

how a country blamed a world recession on one man... Bertie Ahern :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    how a country blamed a world recession on one man... Bertie Ahern :p

Hi Bertie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

The reason you are now living in an oxygenated tent is because ignorant swine did not ratify the Kyoto agreement - now go eat some synthesized food and change my pants, I just shat myself - again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

What will you tell your grandchildren about these times ?

"You know your Granny was a skank back in the day kids"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

my grandmother (who died in 1995) was about ten years old in 1916. I remember asking her "do you remember 1916, what was it like?", meaning the Easter Rising etc, I thought she'd have great tales to tell as the area we're from is quite republican. but the things she remembered were personal things, the births and deaths of siblings and cousins, emigrations, marriages, the poverty the family lived in etc. I remember pushing her to see if she remembered anything about the rising, but all she wanted to tell me were the personal things, as far as she was concerned I could read about the political stuff, she was passing on personal family memories that would die out if not passed on.

at the time, I was a bit frustrated but looking back I'm glad that she did that, it was poignant and sweet and very personal.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Sam 34 ; What the ordinary people felt and experienced throughout world history is little recorded .I would love to know how the bystanders felt through many pages of history which were often written by elite members of society .History is a tedious subject without their opinions .Both my Grandfathers were actively involved but i've no idea how they felt about it all .Both got very good jobs later as a direct result .It's a tiring subject full of dates and meetings etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement