Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinead O Connor to leave music world. Tour aborted in Germany.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I hope she gets better soon . I wish her the best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I hope she gets better soon . I wish her the best of luck

Jim Corr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Mental issues are no joke. I wish her the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I hope the media leaves her alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Everyones allowed one abortion. Two if you're famous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Attention seeking whore. Don't care. Fúck off Sinead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

FearDark wrote: »
    Nasty piece of work.

Your contribution, not Sinead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

tallus wrote: »
    +1. Being bipolar is a terrible affliction from what I've seen. Being bipolar and in the limelight? Jesus. Perfect storm time. I met her years ago. Seemed very pleasant and a little mad(in the better sense) and genuine with it. Hopefully getting out of the biz will help her.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I have to agree.if she just shut her mouth and sang she would be fantastic.shes a brilliant singer.
    Mental issues my arse.where were her mental issues when she was ripping up pics of the pope on tv?or telling the whole world she was looking for a man.give me break.
    Keep your opinions to your self sinead and just sing us a song or 2 every now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

tallus wrote: »

I absolutely agree with you, but she doesn't come across well in the public eye, I for one could do without hearing about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Spread wrote: »
    Hope she gets well and we don't want to hear about her after that.
    Agreed and agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,222 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I have to agree.if she just shut her mouth and sang she would be fantastic.shes a brilliant singer.
    Mental issues my arse.where were her mental issues when she was ripping up pics of the pope on tv?or telling the whole world she was looking for a man.give me break.
    Keep your opinions to your self sinead and just sing us a song or 2 every now and then.
    ripping up the pope showed amazing foresight, did it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I really like her and her music, I wish her well and that she has the right people around her to get her back to full health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Aw shít, she'll be back on Twitter now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Plazaman wrote: »

You do know you don't have to follow her, yeah? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1. Being bipolar is a terrible affliction from what I've seen. Being bipolar and in the limelight? Jesus. Perfect storm time. I met her years ago. Seemed very pleasant and a little mad(in the better sense) and genuine with it. Hopefully getting out of the biz will help her.

i think though Wibbs there is an unfortunate trend though lately for celebrities to claim they are bi-polar as an excuse for their attention seeking behaviour, and this does a dis-service to people who genuinely suffer from the condition.

sinead o connor could've easily disappeared from the limelight and gone quietly. intead she courts the media and publicity and has built her "career" on doing so for the last 20 years. a quick google gave me plenty of celebrities that have claimed bi-polar dosorder for their erratic and irresponsible behaviour to garner sympathy and attention from the public.

this is what makes people cynical of any celebrities motives in claiming bi-polar disorder because it's becoming increasingly harder to distinguish the attention seekers who seek to revive their flagging careers, from those who genuinely suffer from the condition.

i expect this to be moved to the celebrity and showbiz forum shortly anyway.

EDIT: i fully expect her to make an appearance on the late late show shortly too, just in case world+dog doesnt bother with the twittersphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

And I hope she leaves the media alone.
    I hope the media leaves her alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I hope she gets well soon.

Say what you want about Sinead, but she imho has the voice of an angel and her new stuff was very good.

xsiborg wrote: »
    i think though Wibbs there is an unfortunate trend though lately for celebrities to claim they are bi-polar as an excuse for their attention seeking behaviour, and this does a dis-service to people who genuinely suffer from the condition.

sinead o connor could've easily disappeared from the limelight and gone quietly. intead she courts the media and publicity and has built her "career" on doing so for the last 20 years. a quick google gave me plenty of celebrities that have claimed bi-polar dosorder for their erratic and irresponsible behaviour to garner sympathy and attention from the public.

this is what makes people cynical of any celebrities motives in claiming bi-polar disorder because it's becoming increasingly harder to distinguish the attention seekers who seek to revive their flagging careers, from those who genuinely suffer from the condition.

i expect this to be moved to the celebrity and showbiz forum shortly anyway.

EDIT: i fully expect her to make an appearance on the late late show shortly too, just in case world+dog doesnt bother with the twittersphere.

I agree with you in regards to other celebs doing this but Sinead's behaviour has always been typical Bi-polar behaviour.

The media has lapped it up and presented it in a snide and cruel way. People have then lapped it up and slagged her off. Some people get great pleasure in others misfortune. That's what sells bitter rags to clowns so they can feel superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Beautiful voice hope she gets her head together

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Really like her new song and the album was getting great reviews,it seemed she was getting back on track,it seems to be one thing after another with Sinead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

crazygeryy wrote: »
    if she just shut her mouth and sang she would be fantastic
    and one would think considerably diminished in volume...
    xsiborg wrote: »

Oh too true. You don't have to go to celebs either, you can see it in everyday life. The amount of people you meet today claiming depression or some other mental illness to garner sympathy/attention/evade responsibility/fit in[delete as applicable] is very high IMHO. Significantly higher than a generation ago. Yes it was very much hidden in the past. Genuine sufferers were "ah shure he suffers from his nerves" BS. However I don't believe the popular stats for a second. Again IMHO a goodly chunk are low level "sufferers" of firstworldproblemitis.

That said X one could argue that her behaviour is pretty a good match for the condition. Diagnostic even. I'd also say that if she was doing this for the publicity throughout her career it didn't help said career, or become a get out of gaol free card(unlike with some others). It's been a serious disadvantage for her. Just my take, but I think she's genuine with this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

People look at this example of a recent appearance on Graham Norton. I think she explains it well herself (1:47). I have also attached the performance (as it is amazing)

I don't find Sinead's mental illness half as annoying as Jedward or Boyzone but I suffer from the same illness as Sinead so what would I know?

The only harm she has ever done is to herself. I wish Sinead peace in the future.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Spread wrote: »
    [...] Hope she gets well and we don't want to hear about her after that.

That's pretty much the thread opened and closed as far as I'm concerned.

She worked very hard to overcome her talent and become irrelevant. Job done, let's move on.

I think it's a good thing for celebrities/people of note to be open about the likes of mental health issues. We still live in a world where to have one is almost akin to leprosy. Hell, even some of the posts in this thread prove it. And to those people: I hope you never experience mental health issues and then know exactly what it is like to have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That's sad, she has an incredible voice, a truely talented artist. Just a shame that she is given the spotlight for the wrong reasons. She certainly never deserved any of the backlash she gets but if she needs to get out of the public eye to sort herself out then good luck to her. I hope she can find the strength to manage her illness and return in the future. And I hope people will not be so rapey with her personal life when she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I agree with you in regards to other celebs doing this but Sinead's behaviour has always been typical Bi-polar behaviour.

The media has lapped it up and presented it in a snide and cruel way. People have then lapped it up and slagged her off. Some people get great pleasure in others misfortune. That's what sells bitter rags to clowns so they can feel superior.

Aye. I'd agree with you there. Poor old Carrie Fisher has had a torrid time with it too over the years. It's been extremely difficult for her family too. Although, I heard she's been much better over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I think she is being very brave! It's not an easy decision to cancel the tour. She's admitted defeat, holding her head high with no shame and yearning to get on with her life.
    I wish her all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

What she ripped up was a picture of the Pope.:rolleyes: She committed an act of violence against a piece of paper. It was symbolic. After all, the Protector of Paedophiles Everywhere is himself the head of a religious organisation that, as its central ritual, drinks the blood and eats the flesh of its founder. Symbolic cannibalism, if you wish.:D

I hope she gets her condition under control and that the hangers-on who have been such a bad influence on her now leave her alone and let professional persons help her. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Her latest stuff is great and she's very strong to deal with things given her condition. It really is ignorance on the part of people who would say nasty stuff about her. She seems a lovely person with a condition i'm not unfamiliar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I think the Irish Nation owes her an apology for how she was treated in the aftermath of that. She was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonniealan

This has become very emotive. attention seeking celebrities annoy me as much as anyone else. But she is obviuosly very unwell and i genuinely hope she gets better. Also I hope she leave the social media and dessperate attempts at publicity alone too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Don't particularly like the woman but bipolar is a terrible affliction and I hope she feels better soon.

Aww but people liked that Pope. He was a nice Pope 'cause he came here and told us he loved us or something.
    Now if she had ripped up a picture of the current bollocks that's there, I can't imagine there'd be anywhere near as much backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Whilst there is no doubt in my mind that she has at times courted controversy in order to gain attention the simple truth is that you are doing the same with this post.

Her stage is bigger, so I guess you lose this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Symbolic cannibalism, if you wish.:D

Only its not symbolic, it's magical cannibalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Hopefully the media will leave her alone to recover in peace. She is obviously a very talented women and comes across genuine if a bit manic:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Plazaman wrote: »

So you didn't read the article linked in the OP then.
    Sinead O’Connor: Bipolar disorder forces star to cancel tour and leave music business

PLANS for a career comeback by singer Sinead O'Connor have been dashed after she cancelled her entire 2012 tour and claimed to be leaving the music business.

The 45-year-old had been enjoying critical acclaim for her latest album 'How About I Be Me (And You Be You)?' but plans to promote the record worldwide, including a 12-date North American tour, have been shelved on the advice of doctors.

"With enormous regret I must announce that I have to cancel all touring for the year as I am very unwell due to bipolar disorder. As you all know I had a very serious breakdown between December and March and I had been advised by my doctor not to go on tour but didn't want to 'fail' or let anyone down as the tour was already booked to coincide with album release.

"So very stupidly I ignored his advice to my great detriment, attempting to be stronger than I actually am. I apologise sincerely for any difficulties this may cause," Ms O'Connor wrote on her website.

The mother of four made the announcement while on tour in Germany, and claimed to be seeking a job outside the music business.

"Asking about jobs as music biz is very bad for Sinead. Any one have a job for a very clever woman with massive heart and courage, who adores people and has to escape music business as is very bad for her? Too much and too many long times away from home. All bad triggers for a woman with a mental illness. Can anyone come and take me home from Munich?," Ms O'Connor tweeted before cancelling a date in the German city on Saturday night.

Last night she remained adamant about leaving the music business, announcing that she was closing her Twitter account.

"This account will close tonight for reasons of wishing to be out of limelight and showbiz. Shall reappear anonymously. Midnight is close down. Goodnight, thank u, u been a wonderful audience. X" she tweeted. Her website sineadoconnor.com was also offline.

The singer was unavailable for comment when contacted last night.

Hailed by fans and critics alike, her new album 'How About I Be Me (And You Be You)?' peaked at 33 in the UK charts.

Last month the singer revealed her marriage to drugs counsellor Barry Herridge, who she wed in Las Vegas in December, was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Did I read some where a few weeks ago that she had been misdiagnosed and she doesn't actually have bi polar at all? I'm open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

She sings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Literally 10s of fans will be dissapointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

As someone with bi-polar i can completely understand, I can hardly leave the house most weeks I couldn't imagine having to face hundreds of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

She was never the same after she starred in Aliens 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Zzzzzzzzzzzz and in two weeks time we'll have the headline 'Sinead O'Connor announces comeback tour' :rolleyes:. Let's hope she sticks to her word! I believe Tesco are hiring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Although I can't say I'm a fan I really hope she gets well soon.
    Amazing how people with metal health problems are ridiculed by the press and used as entertainment.
    I'm old enough to remember Adam Ant and watched a documentary on him a couple of years ago. The manic stages brought the creativity, the depression brought the public ridicule. I used to think that celebrity attracted people with these problems but it is now obvious that they are just more common than previously believed. If we were more open as a society more people might feel able to seek help or confide in loved ones.

I used to think that celebrity attracted people with these problems but it is now obvious that they are just more common than previously believed.
    Personally I would suspect the arts more likely to concentrate certain mental conditions. Particularly the performance arts. It takes a rare enough ability to stand in front of an audience and let rip. The act of creativity itself could add to the stresses on the mind(hypersensitivity to emotions and reality are great for he process, but may open a person up a little too much if they personalise it). Then add in the false external "love" of strangers and the stresses of keeping up that level and I'd not be surprised that such people might be more prone. I remember an interview with George Michael who reckoned similar and further reckoned he'd met very few "norma" performers in his time(inc himself). That there was something missing or extra or "broken" in the creative performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Wibbs wrote: »
    I met her years ago. Seemed very pleasant and a little mad(in the better sense) and genuine with it.

Did you have a child together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Is she looking for another husband? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭8mv

I hope she gives herself time to get her head right. I was hoping for big things for Sinead this year cause her new album is a cracker, an album she could have (and maybe should have) recorded twenty years ago. It's full of upbeat lyrics and positive messages. I won't mind if we see her again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Personally I think that being a fruitcake and being an artist are often one and the same thing. Most of them can feed their emotions into their work. With Sinead there is the added idiocyncracy of needing to extrapolate her irrational foibles on a now jaded public.

• Advertisement
Advertisement