Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinead O Connor to leave music world. Tour aborted in Germany.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Spread wrote: »
    Personally I think that being a fruitcake and being an artist are often one and the same thing. Most of them can feed their emotions into their work. With Sinead there is the added idiocyncracy of needing to extrapolate her irrational foibles on a now jaded public.

spread calling her an artist is stretching it a bit in fairness. she spent the last 20 years on drugs and naturally this has had an effect on her already fragile mental state, as in she was always an attention seeker and for a long time you'd swear she was gay byrne's love child the amount of times he had her on the show and entertained her idiotic behaviour like a father would try to rein in his rebellious daughter. it was the validation and attention she craved all in one.

then she disappeared for a while and lately by some way of reinventing herself after her stint as a lesbian priest, she decided to announce on the internet and in the media that she was looking for a man (i even remember the cringeworthy interview she did with ryan turbidy), before then getting married to her drug counsellor (you'd have to wonder about his professional code of ethics!), and that didnt work so she split up and fecked off on tour, then decided feck this and jacked in the towel, more attention seeking 'poor me' childish behaviour.

now some might observe her history of behaviour as a diagnostic example of bi-polar disorder. my own opinion which i still stand by is simply that she is just a talentless attention seeker with an angry victim persecution complex, couple this with copious amounts of illicit substances, et voila- another 'bi-polar' celebrity that 'wants everybody to leave her alone', until the next time she wants attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

xsiborg wrote: »
    now some might observe her history of behaviour as a diagnostic example of bi-polar disorder. my own opinion which i still stand by is simply that she is just a talentless attention seeker with an angry victim persecution complex, couple this with copious amounts of illicit substances, et voila- another 'bi-polar' celebrity that 'wants everybody to leave her alone', until the next time she wants attention.

She had oodles of talent, once. Apart from that I agree completely. She has lurched from one disaster to another, all of it played out in the full glare of the media very deliberately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

spread calling her an artist is stretching it a bit in fairness. she spent the last 20 years on drugs and naturally this has had an effect on her already fragile mental state, as in she was always an attention seeker and for a long time you'd swear she was gay byrne's love child the amount of times he had her on the show and entertained her idiotic behaviour like a father would try to rein in his rebellious daughter. it was the validation and attention she craved all in one.

then she disappeared for a while and lately by some way of reinventing herself after her stint as a lesbian priest, she decided to announce on the internet and in the media that she was looking for a man (i even remember the cringeworthy interview she did with ryan turbidy), before then getting married to her drug counsellor (you'd have to wonder about his professional code of ethics!), and that didnt work so she split up and fecked off on tour, then decided feck this and jacked in the towel, more attention seeking 'poor me' childish behaviour.

She wouldn't play my sort of music however she is most definitely an artist and an extremely talented one at that (Far superior to the reality star 'musicians' that exist now). I'm personally of the belief that much of her behaviour has merely been a manifestation of bipolar and i'm extremely sympathetic towards her. Irrational behaviour is common amongst people with bipolar. People may view it as acting out in the media limelight but it doesn't seem that way to me and its a perception that has been created by the media as a result of their treatment of her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

I know this is not important.. her voice is still great, but how she managed to change soooo much, from very beautiful women to.... not that very beautiful.. :confused:
    It is not age, because some women even when over 50 are still pretty..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

now some might observe her history of behaviour as a diagnostic example of bi-polar disorder. my own opinion which i still stand by is simply that she is just a talentless attention seeker with an angry victim persecution complex,

A talentless attention seeker?
    That's some straight up shite talk right there.

mikom wrote: »

now some might observe her history of behaviour as a diagnostic example of bi-polar disorder. my own opinion which i still stand by is simply that she is just a talentless attention seeker with an angry victim persecution complex,

ok then, let me re-phrase that-

a girl who had an amazing talent and the world at her feet when she released the single 'nothing compares 2u', but who threw it away when she became more widely known for her ridiculous stunts than her talent.

she went on american television, knew her audience, and ripped up a picture of the pope. now we can say what we like about wasnt she right in hindsight and whatever, but at the time, she knew what she was doing, and from then on she was fair game for the media, and she courted said media and played up for them at every turn.

you'd have thought her years in the business would have taught her something, but so great was her craving for attention for being a 'wild child' that she let that over-ride common sense.

we've heard the same 'tortured genius' mantra trotted out about pete doherty, but he too is an idiot who has let his drug fuelled ego get the better of him.

hell even look at the likes of kerry katona, lyndsay lohan, charlie sheen, they've all claimed to be bi-polar, are they all creative tortured geniuses too? or just drug fuelled ego-maniacs who bought into their own hype?

without the media they would be nothing, and now they want the media to 'leave them alone'? if you call the tune, you hardly have the right to complain when time comes to pay to pay the piper!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

How do you know that?

Great Irish trait of slating the shiite out of anyone with a glimmer of sucess comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Watching the 2 videos posted I now remember what all the fuss is about - Her really really really good voice.

He moved through the fair kinda gave me shivers. Her video with Graham norton posted earlier shows she still has that voice, and even tho she has done a few loopy pr stunts - she still has great talent.

Before this thread I couldnt have really given a sh1t about her -now I do hope she gets better and brings us more of what she does best.

blueyedson wrote: »

How do you know that?

Great Irish trait of slating the shiite out of anyone with a glimmer of sucess comes to mind.

not at all, the fact that im so cynical of ridiculous excuses for behaviour that i'd sooner attribute to drugs than the new celebrity mental disorder has nothing to do with the fact that im irish.

as to how do i know she spent the last 20 years on drugs? well i too have seen her interviews and read her interview articles in which she talks about having used drugs and so on, and then recently she married her drug counsellor and tried to get high on their honeymoon.

now you're hardly going to tell me she was seeing a drug counsellor for taking skittles are you?

no begrudgery here, in fact im quite proud of many of our irish success stories, like enya, or mary coughlan, who for many years has spoken about suffering from depression and alcoholism and her battle to overcome it, and she never sought the limelight like sinead o connor did.

the honest truth here is that the only people i feel sorry for here are her children, who have to put up with her nonsense!

EDIT: actually no, i also feel sorry for people who actually are clinically diagnosed as suffering from bi-polar disorder, because some celebrities have chosen to make it the 'disorder du jour', and now for anyone actually genuinely suffering from bi-polar disorder, its going to be that much harder for them to be taken seriously because people will associate them with drug fuelled attention seeking ego-maniacs!

• Advertisement

a girl who had an amazing talent

Would you believe it..... we've discovered your talent for back-tracking

without the media they would be nothing,

Talent will always be noticed, media or no media.
    Maybe not as far and wide, but the bush telegraph only goes so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Very few people will deny that shes talented, but very few people will say they are not sick to death of hearing about her.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Very few people will deny that shes talented, but very few people will say they are not sick to death of hearing about her.

On a scale of one to Beiber, I'll give that post a Rihanna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The problem with talking total **** on the internet vs the pub is that few in the pub will remember.....

nothing wrong with back tracking to make myself clearer surely?

and i totally agree with you that talent will always out, but she used the media to get attention for herself, as distinct from getting attention for her musical talent.

• Advertisement

and i totally agree with you that talent will always out, but she used the media to get attention for herself, as distinct from getting attention for her musical talent.

...a lot of what shes done has had her mental illness behind it. She exhibits some classic symptoms.

Talent vs. media attention.....
    Google search

Sinead O Connor About 44,800,000 results

justin beiber About 448,000,000 results

Which one is more talented?
    Which one is in your face everyday?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

not at all, the fact that im so cynical of ridiculous excuses for behaviour that i'd sooner attribute to drugs than the new celebrity mental disorder has nothing to do with the fact that im irish.

as to how do i know she spent the last 20 years on drugs? well i too have seen her interviews and read her interview articles in which she talks about having used drugs and so on, and then recently she married her drug counsellor and tried to get high on their honeymoon.

now you're hardly going to tell me she was seeing a drug counsellor for taking skittles are you?

no begrudgery here, in fact im quite proud of many of our irish success stories, like enya, or mary coughlan, who for many years has spoken about suffering from depression and alcoholism and her battle to overcome it, and she never sought the limelight like sinead o connor did.

the honest truth here is that the only people i feel sorry for here are her children, who have to put up with her nonsense!

EDIT: actually no, i also feel sorry for people who actually are clinically diagnosed as suffering from bi-polar disorder, because some celebrities have chosen to make it the 'disorder du jour', and now for anyone actually genuinely suffering from bi-polar disorder, its going to be that much harder for them to be taken seriously because people will associate them with drug fuelled attention seeking ego-maniacs!

Drug counsellor = drug dealer? Or are you just a muppet?

He wasn't even her drug counsellor....she met him via the net. It's amazing how people see what they want to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

FearDark wrote: »
    Attention seeking whore. Don't care. Fúck off Sinead.

Thanks whore calls SO an attention whore, quite ironic! Why would you go out of your way to comment on something to the effect you don't care, when you really don't care?

She's an exceptionally talented singer, I don't particularly like her music, but damn, I really admire her voice and talent, regardless of what she does in her private life.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »

...a lot of what shes done has had her mental illness behind it. She exhibits some classic symptoms.

we can all exhibit symptoms of mental disorder Nodin, thats my bug bear with this issue, its that its impossible for an outsider to look at her and form a diagnosis without ever having met her and having only a vague idea of the disorder as opposed to doctors who are experts in diagnosing the condition. its become all too easy for people to say 'im bipolar, thats my excuse!' if you get me, rather than take responsibility for their actions.

we can all exhibit symptoms of mental disorder Nodin, thats my bug bear with this issue, its that its impossible for an outsider to look at her and form a diagnosis without ever having met her and having only a vague idea of the disorder as opposed to doctors who are experts in diagnosing the condition. its become all too easy for people to say 'im bipolar, thats my excuse!' if you get me, rather than take responsibility for their actions.

She was diagnosed many, many years ago. They don't prescribe drugs for you at your word when you turn up and say "I'm bipolar".

Talent vs. media attention.....
    Google search

Sinead O Connor About 44,800,000 results

justin beiber About 448,000,000 results

Which one is more talented?
    Which one is in your face everyday?

mikom all that shows is just that opinions on talent and taste are subjective, even i now in fairness wouldnt compare justin bieber's flash in the pan 'career' to sinead o connor who has had a 20 year career and was around long before google and youtube. in fairness now that was an apples and oranges comparison.

Drug counsellor = drug dealer? Or are you just a muppet?

i never implied he was her drug dealer? i said he was her drug counsellor and that he has questionable ethics because instead of trying to get her off drugs, he got involved with her and then the two of them flew off to vegas, a city awash with drugs, temptation at every turn. hardly the wisest move now was it?

i never implied he was her drug dealer? i said he was her drug counsellor and that he has questionable ethics because instead of trying to get her off drugs, he got involved with her and then the two of them flew off to vegas, a city awash with drugs, temptation at every turn. hardly the wisest move now was it?

For the love of christ.......He was not her drug counsellor. For reasons known best unto herself she decided to get a husband over the internet. The guy she decided on happened to be a drug counsellor.

He wasn't even her drug counsellor....she met him via the net. It's amazing how people see what they want to see.

not really nodin, naturally my perception would be colored by the fact that i find it hard to take her seriously after years of her antics when she had more than enough lessons in the media to rein herself in, and yet she kept coming out with more and more outrageous stunts! of course its hard for me to be sympathetic when for years we've been subjected to more stunts than any actual singing.

i didnt realise she'd only met him on the internet either. tbh i wasnt all that interested in reading up on her too much as i figured this was just another publicity stunt seeing as she'd cried wolf so many times before and played the persecuted victim! this is why i think she does a dis-service to anyone genuinely suffering with the condition as the media now associates her as the new poster child for bipolar disorder, having taken over the crown from kerry katona.

For the love of christ.......He was not her drug counsellor. For reasons known best unto herself she decided to get a husband over the internet. The guy she decided on happened to be a drug counsellor.

yes nodin, i acknowledged this in my post afterwards, i didnt realise he wasnt her drug counsellor. im posting from the mobile at the moment and its a bit of a PITA because its so slow and having to try and snip out bits so i dont end up with a monster post! :(

not really nodin, naturally my perception would be colored by the fact that i find it hard to take her seriously after years of her antics when she had more than enough lessons in the media to rein herself in, and yet she kept coming out with more and more outrageous stunts! of course its hard for me to be sympathetic when for years we've been subjected to more stunts than any actual singing..

Did ever occur to you that they weren't "stunts" but somebody acting with impaired judgement? Ever notice how a lot of her statements are linked to the subject of religion....?
    i didnt realise she'd only met him on the internet either. tbh i wasnt all that interested in reading up on her too much as i figured this was just another publicity stunt seeing as she'd cried wolf so many times before and played the persecuted victim! this is why i think she does a dis-service to anyone genuinely suffering with the condition as the media now associates her as the new poster child for bipolar disorder, having taken over the crown from kerry katona.

If you'd be as good, do tell me how you come to think she is not "genuinely suffering" from the condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

This woman just drives me insane.
    She has a fantastic voice but the rest of her gives me hives :).
    I can understand if she is ill but why she feels the need to broadcast her every move to the media (and then give out about the intrusion ) I just don't get.
    Whats the betting she will be back in two months on 'The Late Late'.
    I do hope though that the woman gets the help that she needs and finds some peace in her life.

Did ever occur to you that they weren't "stunts" but somebody acting with impaired judgement? Ever notice how a lot of her statements are linked to the subject of religion....?

of course it occurred to me nodin, hence why i put her behaviour down to attention seeking nonsense and her judgement impaired by copious illicit substances and her craving for attention. she always just struck me as very "needy", and this was before i'd even heard of bipolar disorder.

her continued statements (out of respect for your opinion i'll refrain from calling them stunts) were to me just constant attention seeking because she knew slating the catholic church would get up peoples noses and get her attention. i just put this down to what i perceived was a persecution complex and a craving for attention. tommy tiernan does the same any time he gets on the late late show, as does david mcsavage. this is why it gets tiresome and people fail to take the matter seriously, because people they perceive as nut jobs come across as just trying to be controversial to get attention.
    If you'd be as good, do tell me how you come to think she is not "genuinely suffering" from the condition.

because nodin im a very cynical person tbh, im not a clinical psychologist so i couldnt possibly form a more informed opinion on whether she is or isnt genuinely bipolar. my main assertion all along is that too many celebrities nowadays are abdicating personal responsibility in favour of just coming out and saying they're bipolar, that's why they act like ass-hats.

this is why i say they do a dis-service to anyone who is genuinely bipolar and isnt in the limelight. it's very hard then for them to be taken seriously by the average person who isnt a clinical psychiatrist and doesnt know a whole lot about bipolar disorder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

I hope the media leaves her alone
    I hope she leaves the media alone

because nodin im a very cynical person tbh, im not a clinical psychologist so i couldnt possibly form a more informed opinion on whether she is or isnt genuinely bipolar. my main assertion all along is that too many celebrities nowadays are abdicating personal responsibility in favour of just coming out and saying they're bipolar, that's why they act like ass-hats.

this is why i say they do a dis-service to anyone who is genuinely bipolar and isnt in the limelight. it's very hard then for them to be taken seriously by the average person who isnt a clinical psychiatrist and doesnt know a whole lot about bipolar disorder.

So you're ignoring the fact she has been diagnosed with the disorder, because it suits you, and she does people a disservice by having the disease and its efffects as a public figure, rather than ending her career and taking off to a cave.

Salt001 wrote: »
    This woman just drives me insane.
    She has a fantastic voice but the rest of her gives me hives :).
    I can understand if she is ill but why she feels the need to broadcast her every move to the media (and then give out about the intrusion ) I just don't get.

....because she has impaired judgement...?

So you're ignoring the fact she has been diagnosed with the disorder, because it suits you, and she does people a disservice by having the disease and its efffects as a public figure, rather than ending her career and taking off to a cave.

im not ignoring it at all nodin, im questioning it because im skeptical that its actually true, i mean, look at how michael jackson ended up when he was diagnosed with body dismorphia years ago? sometimes even doctors can be unscrupulous when they're paid enough money.

i personally think she ended her own career years ago with her statements and made herself a figure to be publicly ridiculed by the media. i dont think for a second we've seen the last of sinead, i think she'll be back, but hopefully she'll be back with the intention of promoting her music rather than promoting her personal issues.

i also think its a bit much Nodin to suggest she lives in a cave, a quick google gave me this-
    With a net worth of $6 million, singer and songwriter Sinead O’Connor also has seen her fair share of controversy. Her net worth hasn’t been to blame for this, however, instead it’s been her controversial views and outspoken demeanor that O’Connor is associated with in the minds of much of the public. Her career in music began in the early 1980s, with Sinead eventually joining up with a band called Ton Ton Macoute, named for the zombies of Haitian folklore. Her work with the band eventually earned her a record deal with Ensign Records, where her first important project wound up being recording a song with legendary guitarist The Edge of U2 for the movie Captive. O’Connor continued to record music, even being allowed to produce her first album despite only being 20 years old and pregnant! But it wasn’t until her second album, I Don’t Want What I Haven’t Got, that her breakout song was latched onto by audiences. The song, “Nothing Compares 2 U,” was written by Prince and was famous for its austere music video, which featured a close-up of O’Connor sadly singing the ballad before crying a single tear. Sinead O’Connor became a big star after that, but her career descended into controversy after she infamously tore up a picture of the Pope on Saturday Night Live, an action that still carries consequences for her career to this day.

she has more than enough to keep her for the rest of her days out of the limelight should she wish to do so.

im not ignoring it at all nodin, im questioning it because im skeptical that its actually true,..

Why wouldn't it be? You've yet to suggest any benefit the woman might accrue.

i also think its a bit much Nodin to suggest she lives in a cave,,..

I didn't suggest that she did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Stephen Fry is an example of another individual with bipolar and he describes it rather well so maybe it might make you reconsider your unfounded claims. What he describes bares many similarities with her own behaviour. She was diagnosed so why do you continue to claim that she was acting out when you have evidence to back this up. Claiming its a celebrity condition is absolute rubbish. Although perhaps you also think that Stephen Fry was acting out as a result of substance abuse?
    Fry spent years drinking vodka and taking cocaine to numb the internal anguish of his depression. "I'm actually kind of sobbing and kind of tearing at the walls inside my own brain while my mouth is, you know, wittering away in some amusing fashion," he says... Doctors estimate that one in 100 have bipolar disorder, but some researchers think the true figure could be far higher. Campaigners say only about half of sufferers are actually diagnosed and, on average, this can take eight years.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/stephen-fry-my-battle-with-mental-illness-416386.html

ah look lads, we're going round in circles here!

- im not claiming she does or doesnt have it, im merely saying that im skeptical she has it.

- im saying that because of the way she is perceived in the media and by the media, she comes off as an attention seeker who craves attention. she could've shy'ed away from the limelight years ago when she was first diagnosed with the disorder, as she knew what to expect from the media. her career became more about her outlandish statements than her singing.

- im merely being cynical in suggesting that this is another "cry wolf" effort and that she has succeeded yet again in gaining attention for herslf. are we supposed to believe her this time now? i doubt she cares too much what the average person thinks of her tbh.

Why wouldn't it be? You've yet to suggest any benefit the woman might accrue.

for the attention she so badly craves nodin, this is the benefit to her i think, the validation she seeks for people to take notice of her.
    I didn't suggest that she did.

you did nodin when you suggested that i implied she go off and hide in a cave.
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    Stephen Fry is an example of another individual with bipolar and he describes it rather well so maybe it might make you reconsider your unfounded claims. What he describes bares many similarities with her own behaviour. She was diagnosed so why do you continue to claim that she was acting out when you have evidence to back this up. Claiming its a celebrity condition is absolute rubbish. Although perhaps you also think that Stephen Fry was acting out as a result of substance abuse?

stephen fry has no shortage of his own detractors too, but i know even less about stephen fry than i do about sinead o connor, so i honestly cant form any sort of an opinion on the man.

i didnt claim even once that it was a celebrity condition, i said it was a condition that many celebrities are using nowadays to abdicate responsibility for their behaviour. if i shoved alcohol down my throat and half a pound of coke up my nose and tore up the town, would i too then be considered bipolar, or would i just be a misguided miscreant who sought to not be held responsible for my behaviour?

im saying that celebrities use the disorder as a convenient excuse, that's all, and that's all i've said since the beginning of this thread, and that is why i feel that they do a dis-service to ordinary people who suffer from the condition who are not celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"Sure she's been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and displays all the symptoms of it, but I'm still cynical about whether she's a genuine sufferer as that's who I am.
    I think, if she does have the condition, then despite her impaired judgement, she should behave in a manner I deem rational by keeping out of the limelight and not publicising her music, which lots of people like."

This new "opinions trump evidence and expert knowledge because we're all entitled to our own opinions" culture is absurd.

Take care of yourself Sinead.

ah look lads, we're going round in circles here!

- im not claiming she does or doesnt have it, im merely saying that im skeptical she has it.

By being sceptical of her having it, you are saying she doesn't or 'probably does not' have it.
    - im saying that because of the way she is perceived in the media and by the media, she comes off as an attention seeker who craves attention. she could've shy'ed away from the limelight years ago when she was first diagnosed with the disorder, as she knew what to expect from the media. her career became more about her outlandish statements than her singing.

....which have been counter-productive. She could have garnered attention in other and far more profitable ways. Yet you keep ignoring this.
    - im merely being cynical in suggesting that this is another "cry wolf" effort and that she has succeeded yet again in gaining attention for herslf. are we supposed to believe her this time now? i doubt she cares too much what the average person thinks of her tbh.

"another cry wolf effort" implies that (a) shes faking it and (b) shes done so previously. You refuse to accept the obvious, yet provide no evidence as to why you should not.
    for the attention she so badly craves nodin, this is the benefit to her i think, the validation she seeks for people to take notice of her. .

She could gain attention in any number of more beneficial ways.
    stephen fry has no shortage of his own detractors too, but i know even less about stephen fry than i do about sinead o connor, so i honestly cant form any sort of an opinion on the man..

A complete lack of facts and disinterest in the few thrown at you haven't in any way hindered you branding O'Connor a liar, so why stop at her?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Really and truly its the music that matters and as such, sinead was a one hit cover version wonder, the only reason shes in the public eye is because of her social commentary etc., basically the headline should read...
    “SInead decides to stop singing 'Nothing Compares to you' for a while"

Not much of a story really, dont get me wrong though, a one hit wonder...but what a wonderful hit it was and still is.

"Sure she's been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and displays all the symptoms of it, but I'm still cynical about whether she's a genuine sufferer as that's who I am.
    I think, if she does have the condition, then despite her impaired judgement, she should behave in a manner I deem rational by keeping out of the limelight and not publicising her music, which lots of people like."

This new "opinions trump evidence and expert knowledge because we're all entitled to our own opinions" culture is absurd.

Take care of yourself Sinead.

im not saying at all Moo that my opinion trumps expert knowledge or anything like it. but is it wrong to suggest she should've stayed out of the limelight when she was diagnosed with the disorder, instead of continuing to be media fodder, to her own further detriment?

i get that lots of people like her music, but does she really owe them anything? should she not have prioritised taking care of herself first? when she was diagnosed with the condition, why did she not come out THEN and say it, many years ago? and why did she ignore the advice of the experts who diagnosed her condition?
    By being sceptical of her having it, you are saying she doesn't or 'probably does not' have it.

....which have been counter-productive. She could have garnered attention in other and far more profitable ways. Yet you keep ignoring this.

"another cry wolf effort" implies that (a) shes faking it and (b) shes done so previously. You refuse to accept the obvious, yet provide no evidence as to why you should not.

She could gain attention in any number of more beneficial ways.

A complete lack of facts and disinterest in the few thrown at you haven't in any way hindered you branding O'Connor a liar, so why stop at her?

why stop at her? i didnt stop at her, i've already mentioned the likes of britney spears, kerry katona, lyndsay lohan, ah for goodness sake even madonna has claimed she's bipolar!

you're right nodin, all these people could gain attention in a number of other ways, the best way being their talent, but they choose not to do this, they choose to act irresponsibly, with no thought that their actions have repercussions. im not for one second ignoring that she could have earned many many more millions had she made more use of her talent, and less of her eccentric, irrational, and quite frankly acting like a spoilt child behaviour.

i would love to have seen her use her talent, and i hope when she recovers and gathers herself together, that she will come back, displaying less erratic behaviour, and more of her talent that made the world stand up and pay attention in the first place. talent like this-

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

im not saying at all Moo that my opinion trumps expert knowledge or anything like it. but is it wrong to suggest she should've stayed out of the limelight when she was diagnosed with the disorder, instead of continuing to be media fodder, to her own further detriment?

You can't expect her to act entirely rationally due to her condition, but I don't think her being in the limelight is necessarily irrational for her anyway.

Her music is her livelihood, and for people to know about her music she needs to put herself out there.
    Even more importantly, she surely loves music and probably loved playing in front of huge crowds all there to see her. It'd be asking a lot to ask her to give that up, and I'm sure it was very difficult for her to come to this decision to cancel her tour and retire.

I don't think being in the spotlight necessarily has to have a detrimental effect on her mental health. Stephen Fry has always seemed to manage. Combining her fame with attempting to treat her condition could be done simultaneously, and I'm sure that explains the long periods when she has been out of the spotilight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

Armelodie wrote: »
    Really and truly its the music that matters and as such, sinead was a one hit cover version wonder, the only reason shes in the public eye is because of her social commentary etc., basically the headline should read...
    “SInead decides to stop singing 'Nothing Compares to you' for a while"

Not much of a story really, dont get me wrong though, a one hit wonder...but what a wonderful hit it was and still is.

did u listen to the album ..the lion and the cobra, that album made her name as a great singer/songwriter and was well know before the hit song nothing compares to u.

my own view on sinead o connor is a person with great talent,but she should stay away from social media as it does her no good ,she says whats on her mind without thinking about the stir of trouble it will cause.
    again i say this she is a irish person with extreme talent and a voice no one in ireland has come close to.i wish her all the best and thank her for all her albums,the song which i love is ...the emperor,s new clothes.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

did u listen to the album ..the lion and the cobra, that album made her name as a great singer/songwriter and was well know before the hit song nothing compares to u.

my own view on sinead o connor is a person with great talent,but she should stay away from social media as it does her no good ,she says whats on her mind without thinking about the stir of trouble it will cause.
    again i say this she is a irish person with extreme talent and a voice no one in ireland has come close to.i wish her all the best and thank her for all her albums,the song which i love is ...the emperor,s new clothes.:)

I had forgotten about that song! Said in a previous post that I wasn't a fan but I remember now I loved that song and Mandika :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

I had forgotten about that song! Said in a previous post that I wasn't a fan but I remember now I loved that song and Mandika :D

oh mandika very good huge in us,u know what i would love to see her with a small band just touring around on a small scale as i think it she would be a lot more content with herself.

you can say what u like about her but her music her lyrics and her voice the way she can sing is just out of this world.

i love the new music..the wolf is geting married oh man what a song:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

oh mandika very good huge in us,u know what i would love to see her with a small band just touring around on a small scale as i think it she would be a lot more content with herself.

you can say what u like about her but her music her lyrics and her voice the way she can sing is just out of this world.

i love the new music..the wolf is geting married oh man what a song:)

Maybe I am a fan after all. Anyway hopes she gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,886 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

i would love to have seen her use her talent, and i hope when she recovers and gathers herself together, that she will come back, displaying less erratic behaviour

Ah, come on! She's legitimately ill. She has talent, she uses it to great effect. Are some displays of her erratic behaviour because of her illness? Others are because of her strong feelings? You can't expect her to apologise for speaking out? That's what some people do, they don't tow the line. I think she's a sound, outspoken, hard thinking woman. I certainly don't agree with everything she says or believes in, but I like the way she sticks her head above the parapet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

She was on the Ian Dempsey breakfast show last year (just before she got married) and she said that she had just found out that she had been wrongly diagnosed as having been bi polar.

Really and truly its the music that matters and as such, sinead was a one hit cover version wonder,...........

Wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,886 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

a one hit wonder

:confused:

Are you for real?? Mandinka, amongst lots of other really really good tracks, she's fairly well respected when it comes to her own work. You may only know Nothing Compares to You, but she's produced and released lots of critically acclaimed stuff.

This is beginning to sound like a good old begrudging thread with people squirming with delight at the artists issues that effects so many people on this island!

• Advertisement
Advertisement