Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinead O Connor to leave music world. Tour aborted in Germany.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Down ye dogs. I have nothing but sympathy for the poor creature, but the cracks were showing long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

xsiborg wrote: »

you're right nodin, all these people could gain attention in a number of other ways, the best way being their talent, but they choose not to do this, they choose to act irresponsibly, with no thought that their actions have repercussions. im not for one second ignoring that she could have earned many many more millions had she made more use of her talent, and less of her eccentric, irrational, and quite frankly acting like a spoilt child behaviour.

You mean acting like she had a mental disorder, which she has.

I really can't figure out what your problem is, at this stage.
    with no thought that their actions have repercussions.

You mean acting like they had a mental disorder....? But it isn't a mental disorder of course, based on no reason whatsoever other than you denying it. You don't want her to live in a cave, but you want her to be quiet, even though you don't want her to do that either.

Did she run over a pet of yours at some stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Since when is bi-polar a by-word for being a total nutter

seems sineads bi-polar amounts to dates n marriages. will I / won't I. do this / stay in this

im not saying at all Moo that my opinion trumps expert knowledge or anything like it. ........

Despite the fact you've been doing that for a number of posts.

I blame countless kraut schoolgirls for thinking she was edgy by shaving her head - only people doing that back then were bosnians; scangers weren't invented yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Nodin wrote: »

you're right nodin, all these people could gain attention in a number of other ways, the best way being their talent, but they choose not to do this, they choose to act irresponsibly, with no thought that their actions have repercussions. im not for one second ignoring that she could have earned many many more millions had she made more use of her talent, and less of her eccentric, irrational, and quite frankly acting like a spoilt child behaviour.

You mean acting like she had a mental disorder, which she has.

I really can't figure out what your problem is, at this stage.
    with no thought that their actions have repercussions.

You mean acting like they had a mental disorder....? But it isn't a mental disorder of course, based on no reason whatsoever other than you denying it. You don't want her to live in a cave, but you want her to be quiet, even though you don't want her to do that either.

Did she run over a pet of yours at some stage?

nodin if you cant figure out what my problem is at this stage, then i clearly havent explained myself well enough. i dont know how i can make it much clearer how much it annoys me that celebrities use bipolar disorder as an excuse for their erratic behaviour as if it had nothing to do with the amount of drugs and alcohol they put in their bodies over the years that fúcked with their heads! seriously?

i have a problem with attention seeking celebrities such as amy winehouse even, complaining that they suffer from bipolar disorder, instead of just admitting that a combination of drink, drugs, and lack of personal responsibility, contributed to their erratic and irresponsible behaviour moreso than any mental disorder.

on the issue of her being diagnosed with the disorder- i used have a doctor that i could go down to him in the morning and claim i had an itchy testicle and i needed a week off work, all it would cost me was €50 for the doctors visit. the same doctor would happily throw pills or any other sort of medication at you that you asked for-

'i cant sleep, i need rohypnol'

'ok, here you go!'

i have since changed to a doctor who investigates the underlying issues and symptoms before he forms any sort of diagnosis.

my point nodin is that with the money she and other celebrities have at their disposal, they can get a doctor that'll be willing to 'diagnose' anything for the right money.

you only have to look at the unfortunate case of michael jackson for evidence of 'diagnose anything for the right money!'.

i think i have every right to be skeptical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Does she still have a massive weed habit? Cos I'm thinking that that might not be helping her Bi-Polar too much.

now heres an interesting one, for those that said she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder many years ago. dont look at me, i only googled "sinead o connor diagnosed with bipolar disorder by experts", and came across this:

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2012/04/if-sinead-can-come-out-bipolar-why-cant-we.html

Here Sinead O’Connor says that she was misdiagnosed as having Bi-polar and was on medications for 8 years which didn’t help her at all. http://blackdogtribe.com/people-like-you/sinéad-oconnor-living-mental-health-condition She says she has PTSD.

Handel was supposed to be bi-polar as well. Apart from the mental health system inventing a time machine and producing proof of their efficacy with an improved version of Handel’s Messiah on lithium or a neuroleptic, this is rather pretentious to even make such a diagnosis of a dead man. The “medications” that they use for bi-polar all suppress all parts of the personality, and suppress creativity.

In fact, scientifically, all psychiatric medications create chemical imbalances. They disable the mind. Now, you can say this or that and that a cup of coffee and a donut, chocolate, going out and getting buzzed with alcohol makes you feel better; but there’s as little proof that this is treating a chemical imbalance as there are for psychiatric drugs treating a chemical imbalance.

The proof simply isn’t there. The drug companies can make statements as if there’s proof, and imply that there’s proof by saying there’s compelling evidence, but they don’t have this proof. They can get academicians and corporate media to spread these implication, but they don’t have to date any true conclusive proof that mental illness is organic in nature.

In fact, in trying to find this proof, the drug companies uncovered evidence that their drugs cause chemical imbalance (and extreme dependency and extreme side effects), something they’ve tried to suppress. http://www.ssristories.com http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2009/January/09-civ-038.htmlhttp://bangordailynews.com/2012/04/13/health/jj-to-pay-1-1b-for-misleading-doctors-on-antipsychotic-drug/ Psychiatric drugs can be the most addictive substances that there are, and EXTREMELY difficult to get off of. And there aren’t clinics to help you get off of psychiatric drugs – well, there are if you’re a millionaire – although they are as addictive and difficult to get off of as street drugs, as both do the same and mess around with neuro-transmitters. There are excellent books out about all of this by people such as Peter Breggin and Robert Whitaker.

There are various therapies that work well like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialetical Behavioral Therapy. There’s the Soteria House approach. There’s the Healing homes approach in Norway. Approaches that surround someone in crisis with others who are simply compassionate and egalitarian work better than “medications,” and are more cost effective. I use a book called A Course in Miracles which has exercises similar to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, one for each day of the year. In “developing” countries where they don’t have the money for “medications” people have less relapses, there’s more recovery and there’s less disability.

I’ve had extreme states where my mind went into what could be called psychotic episodes and I was creating a whole imaginative world which was only symbolic, but I learned how to let go of the fears that created these states, and how to catch my thoughts before they started investing in such fears. And I learned a lot about how the mind works, from experience. I also learned how much what we think effects us. A Course in Miracles taught me this. These are cognitive exercises, not disabling substances.

A “psychotic” person can actually be acting out the fears society thinks are necessary but are just fashion, and might let go of them. I certainly don’t think that people like Handel or Beethoven (both said to be manic-depressive) had something wrong with their minds. I think that they touched on a reality that had more flexibility in being able to relate to emotions, and that they discovered truths which they could put into their music, even though society at large would look at them and say they didn’t fit in, and start adding up how they were suffering rather than looking at how their supposed disease gave them a whole other insight into emotions.

Psychiatry uses the same sociological constructs that define poverty, minority status or whether one lives in a war zone to determine mental illness; and it often targets people that live under such stress for marketing for highly addictive controlled substances they label as medications. I don’t think these people have an illness. I think perhaps they are wounded, but that’s something different. And I think they’ve seen a slice of life that the status quo would rather keep hidden.

which led to this:

http://blackdogtribe.com/people-like-you/sin%C3%A9ad-oconnor-living-mental-health-condition

where she admits HERSELF, that she was MISDIAGNOSED with bipolar disorder, and that instead she suffers from PTSD:

Irish singer-songwriter[FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]Sinéad O'Connor talks to Ruby Wax about living with a mental health condition since a young age. After experiencing depression as a child, Sinéad was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder following the birth of her children, after which she remained on medication for eight years.

Watch the video to hear Sinéad talk about the side effects of coming off medications, on seeking help and why she 'couldn't afford to be a poppy in a tsunami', why she believes spirituality is important and what she does to cope with her post-traumatic stress disorder.

so now im RIGHTLY confused. anyone care to clear this up? Nodin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

FearDark wrote: »
    Attention seeking whore. Don't care. Fúck off Sinead.

she is prob twitterin bollocks now about herself

refusing to be a 'poppy in a tsunami' hmmm...

Suggesting resorting to heroin when it comes on top? is she just the eternal stroppy teenager with thinly veiled threats of her own destruction, or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I have lived with someone who was a manic depressive / had bipolar and believe me if they had access to a television show, newspapers or any of that type of media when they were suffering from a bad episode then they would have used it to get their point across no matter how irrational, controversial or plain wrong that point of view might have been.

Sinead O'Connor is a hugely talented singer and I would only judge her on that now that I know she has this illness.

If she has been diagnosed with this condition for years then in my opinion her management has a lot to answer for although I know how difficult it can be to stop a person with bipolar doing things that could be damaging to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sinsin

If she was smoking meth as reported she may never recover.That is the chancee you take each time you use.Musically and intellectually she is an international freak show an embarrassing way to spend a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Have just watched the Ruby Wax interview. The jist of what Sinead was saying ....... you get a shrink to plamas you, then you come out of the session on a high. Soooooo, you get what you pay for. She calls it therapy .......... mental masturbation would be more appropriate.
    I thought that towards the end she was getting rather fidgety ........ time to roll a big one methinks.
    I didn't like the way that she blamed all and sundry for her present state of mind. How come Social Services have not stepped in to ensure her childrens' safety?

She admitted years ago to being bisexual ........... and now she refutes the bipolar spectrum. I pity any human - male or female - that grabs her attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Spread wrote: »
    Have just watched the Ruby Wax interview. The jist of what Sinead was saying ....... you get a shrink to plamas you, then you come out of the session on a high. Soooooo, you get what you pay for. She calls it therapy .......... mental masturbation would be more appropriate.

Sounds like confession.

mikom wrote: »
    Sounds like confession.

Gulp :o

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

nodin if you cant (.........) skeptical.

I really couldn't be arsed with you at this stage, which is unusual for me. The woman is clearly mentally ill, its been well known she's "erratic" in certain ways for many, many years, and a victim of her own misjudgements. If you refuse to accept that, then really thats your malfunction.

I really couldn't be arsed with you at this stage, which is unusual for me. The woman is clearly mentally ill, its been well known she's "erratic" in certain ways for many, many years, and a victim of her own misjudgements. If you refuse to accept that, then really thats your malfunction.

did you come up with that diagnosis based on your observations the same way as you came up with your diagnosis based on your observations of sinead o connor?

you were the one who said she was diagnosed as bipolar, so i took to google to see could i find anything on an expert on bipolar disorder who had diagnosed her as suffering from bipolar disorder, (your name didnt show up by the way, no surprise there!) and that video showed up where she says herself she was misdiagnosed for years, this is herself saying it, not me. hence the confusion, but obviously you are not so kind as i was to clear up your assertions, i just got in there before you told me go away and do some research. i did, and it further confirmed my opinion that while she is a talented singer, she is still without doubt also an attention seeker with a persecution "im a viiiiictiiiimmm!" complex. it truly IS all in her head, no doubt fuelled by her years of consumption of illicit substances.

Although I can't say I'm a fan I really hope she gets well soon.
    Amazing how people with metal health problems are ridiculed by the press and used as entertainment.
    I'm old enough to remember Adam Ant and watched a documentary on him a couple of years ago. The manic stages brought the creativity, the depression brought the public ridicule. I used to think that celebrity attracted people with these problems but it is now obvious that they are just more common than previously believed. If we were more open as a society more people might feel able to seek help or confide in loved ones.

Well, he seems to be doing fine these days. I'm glad, he is a supreme showman.

http://www.camdennewjournal.com/reviews/cinema/2012/apr/charming-man-dandy-camden-town-legend-adam-ant-returning-live-scene-0

• Advertisement

Sinead up to her antics again? Lets her manager go and splits with her most recent hubby (AGAIN)!

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/sinead-oconnor-splits-from-her-manager-and-former-lover-3101526.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

whats it with singers and mind altering substances, if she just sang and sang.

flutered wrote: »
    whats it with singers and mind altering substances, if she just sang and sang.

Unfortunately with Ms O'Connor, it may be the failure to take mind altering substances as prescribed thats at the root of her current problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

Unfortunately with Ms O'Connor, it may be the failure to take mind altering substances as prescribed thats at the root of her current problems.
    so that is why i have an advantage over her.

Read and make up your own mind. Mad or self obsessed? This was posted today AFAIK

http://www.sineadoconnor.com/

Spread wrote: »
    Read and make up your own mind. Mad or self obsessed? ........

Ill, and making the mistake of reading whats said about her, by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

She should shut up, ignore the media and concentrate on getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jigsaw07

I hope she gets better, after that i couldnt give a rats ass to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I have to agree.if she just shut her mouth and sang she would be fantastic.shes a brilliant singer.
    Mental issues my arse.where were her mental issues when she was ripping up pics of the pope on tv?or telling the whole world she was looking for a man.give me break.
    Keep your opinions to your self sinead and just sing us a song or 2 every now and then.

What a horrible person. She actually ripped up the picture of the head of one of the richest organizations in the world who spend more time actively protecting child rapists than weeding them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

What a horrible person. She actually ripped up the picture of the head of one of the richest organizations in the world who spend more time actively protecting child rapists than weeding them out.

dead right rented mule,i do laugh when people go on about her ripping up the popes picture saying all sorts about her.
    yet did these same people ask there local preist why there organization raped and buggerd so many young children,two faced comes to mind.

one thing about us irish were the best at kicking our own..

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Sinead o' connor is a phoney bitch. It's that simple, kids.

• Advertisement

Sinead o' connor is a phoney bitch. It's that simple, kids.

Yep.

You'll be able to tell us how you know this, I trust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,222 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sineads antics are perfectly understandable. This documentary pretty much explains it all, it was mentioned in this thread. It happened to adam ant before the invention of social networking, when he was having a bad episode he thought the tabloid journos were his best friends and would ring them to talk to! Of course they exploited it. I remember at the time reading about the "alternator" incident as just another celeb gone mad story, when you hear his side it wasn't like that at all. it's worth a watch.

Advertisement