Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cynical view on evictions, The battle for hearts & minds

• 23-04-2012 8:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

The anti-eviction brigade have had a mare here.
    The poster child for their campaign was living in a 2 million mansion & owed 20 other properties.
    Did nobody research this couples background before holding them up as a lightening rod for public sympathy.
    There's no Arab Spring moment here, I would have loved to give him a kick in the hole on the way out the door.

If I were a cynical PR adviser :D I'd trawl the eviction orders looking for a young family with 2 or 3 kids.
    iPhones at the ready as the heavies come to the door, pinch the 2 year old cradled in her mothers arms to induce crying.
    Get the father out of the shot to expose the lingering image of an inconsolable mother & kids being herded up the driveway & . . . . . CUT.
    Front page of every newspaper, public outcry, queue emotive nonsense like the famine, politicians have nowhere to turn, evictions banned in Ireland for a generation.
    It's all about the battle for hearts & minds people, we thank you for your passive participation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The guy is a deluded Shylock but this time the Bank has it's pound of flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    The anti-eviction brigade have had a mare here.
    The poster child for their campaign was living in a 2 million mansion & owed 20 other properties.
    Did nobody research this couples background before holding them up as a lightening rod for public sympathy.
    There's no Arab Spring moment here, I would have loved to give him a kick in the hole on the way out the door.

If I were a cynical PR adviser :D I'd trawl the eviction orders looking for a young family with 2 or 3 kids.
    iPhones at the ready as the heavies come to the door, pinch the 2 year old cradled in her mothers arms to induce crying.
    Get the father out of the shot to expose the lingering image of an inconsolable mother & kids being herded up the driveway & . . . . . CUT.
    Front page of every newspaper, public outcry, queue emotive nonsense like the famine, politicians have nowhere to turn, evictions banned in Ireland for a generation.
    It's all about the battle for hearts & minds people, we thank you for your passive participation.

Since when were the Kellys the "poster boy" for anti-eviction in anyone's eyes but their own and well-heeled media types who've never made it further North or West than Donnybrook?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Since when were the Kellys the "poster boy" for anti-eviction in anyone's eyes but their own and well-heeled media types who've never made it further North or West than Donnybrook?

The media decides these things, not us, they built them then knocked them down.
    Poacher & gamekeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

The thing is in this country is that there are in reality sod all evictions , simply due to the fact that people are too embarrassed to be seen to be losing their home. That's not to say that there aren't any repossessions, but compared to just about every other country in the western world there are very very few. I don't see that changing very soon either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Mass sympathy for these chancers didnt last past "Elderly couple evicted".
    This is the first i heard and I was prepared to be indignant until a quick look at the facts showed me the full story.
    Nice try but thread fail me thinks.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Even if its a young family with 17 young photogenic kids, all with puppy dog eyes. There can't be a snow white poster family for the anti eviction brigade.

This country doesn't have roaming bailiffs that run around evicting people on a whim. They do it after a very long and detailed legal process. The families concerned only get evicted if they stick their heads in the sand over a very very long time.

Mass sympathy for these chancers didnt last past "Elderly couple evicted".
    This is the first i heard and I was prepared to be indignant until a quick look at the facts showed me the full story.
    Nice try but thread fail me thinks.....

That's my point, the anti-eviction brigade bet on the wrong horse, they failed spectacularly in promoting their agenda.

djk1000 wrote: »
    This country doesn't have roaming bailiffs that run around evicting people on a whim. They do it after a very long and detailed legal process. The families concerned only get evicted if they stick their heads in the sand over a very very long time.

Imagine an upturn in the housing market but a persons personal circumstances doesn't improve, say their still unemployed.
    How long then before the banks move on the house.
    There's bugger all evictions cause the banks don't want the houses.
    Better to keep someone there to stop the asset becoming dilapidated & hope they are able to pay back in the future.

Advertisement