Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my idea

Options
  • 23-04-2012 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

hi
    like many others in this forum, i have an idea, and am sitting on it because I dont know what to do next!
    its a simple idea, effective, useful and practical. I have completed sketches and drawings, material lists etc.

my worry is that simple as it is, If i bring it to someone to help me get it to the market, will they take it from me and use it as their own?

so lets put it into an example, my new car engine is designed to be powered by apples, and for now it looks like it will work. ive spoke to a few mechanics - all looks possible in theory. Now I need to speak to a car engine manufacturer (or investor) to discuss the idea further. the problem lies there-in i dont want to share this idea as i would be concerned that he may have a lot more resources than i have, he has the ability and finance to go and do it, and leave me high and dry!

if the idea was patented it would still be mine?
    how do i protect myself from my idea being used by othes without my permission?
    any opinions?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

I was told once by a patent lawyer to take all the original document you might have of your project/idea, wrap them tight in a parcel and sent them via registered post to yourself or better to your parents. This way it is a time stamped official document which will proof that you are the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I was told once by a patent lawyer to take all the original document you might have of your project/idea, wrap them tight in a parcel and sent them via registered post to yourself or better to your parents. This way it is a time stamped official document which will proof that you are the owner.

This is known as the poor mans patent. While it is time stamped Im not sure of the legal binding behind this. Prob better to get the actual documentation stamped and have a reputable witness and have it sealed somewhere such as a bank vault or with a solicitor.

Alternatviely you could have a non disclosure agreement drawn up and signed by anyone who you talk to regarding your idea.

Hope ity works out for you

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Start with a patent application, get the basics of the plan in.
    Get an NDA signed by any manufacturer / consultant / investor you're working with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

As far as I know the patent application process is quite long, but the best way to protect yourself.

Before investing much time and energy in to the idea, you should do quite a bit of research and make sure that nobody has actually thought of and acted on the idea before.

You might find that someone has tried and failed before, and this may suggest that there are reasons, unbeknownst to you now, as to why the idea isn't actually as viable as you thought it was. Ideas are cheap, it's making them work that's the hard part.

As far as I know, part of the work a patent lawyer does is to find out whether there has already been a patent application for a similar idea.

Having 'patent pending' on any documents you send out would also be a discouragement for someone to try copy the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CarManufacture

Dear Mr Flush,

Thank you for your idea. I have a team of engineers working on it currently. Our progress is....debatable. Considering partnership with Bulmers. Results from solids have been largely fruitless.

Yours sincerely,

Non-denomination Car Manufacturer

P.S. Mwa ha ha...

• Advertisement
Advertisement