Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some things an American should know about the Irish Culture?

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

WickedWest wrote: »
    Robbed? Is it that bad?

Most Americans (or at least those who've passed middle school) don't say OMG, hahaha.

Well its not a rough area, but its the fact that these robbers know its students live in the houses on college road and are most likely not there on the weekend, it's common enough to hear about robberies there.

And with regards to the OMG thing, I thought as much but needed to make sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

grindle wrote: »
    It's Irish guardedness, not exclusive to women.
    I have an American 7th Day Adventist friend and she would, honestly, hand her purse to the purse inspector, whilst also being ferociously clever (academically). The thought that someone was trying to screw her over wouldn't enter her mind.
    People who grow up believing in and being cushioned by the warm pillows of unlimited love and benevolence can be a little naive.

Against that I know some Irish girls who were in LA and were jaywalking. Some guy approached them and said that because it is illegal they had to pay him a fine. They did.

That's pretty much the wallet inspector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Think this thread has run its course anyway. The self-deprecation and general banter regarding Irish culture has long passed and been replaced by outright flirting. Plus something doesn't seem.....right....OP is far too open, especially with photos and personal details. Perhaps I'm wrong and just overused to guarded Irish women.

Agree with Jimoslimos. But I wouldn't call the Irish attitude 'guarded'- more like simply being smart on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wossack wrote: »
    an escalator is also a lift

No, an elevator is
    an escalator is an escalator

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    Agree with Jimoslimos. But I wouldn't call the Irish attitude 'guarded'- more like simply being smart on a public forum.
    After Hours is the wrong forum to use as a yardstick for 'smart' Irish internet users!

Maybe not guarded then, reserved perhaps? Americans are definitely more forthcoming with their emotions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    After Hours is the wrong forum to use as a yardstick for 'smart' Irish internet users!

Maybe not guarded then, reserved perhaps? Americans are definitely more forthcoming with their emotions.

Lol! True, but from what I've seen, the majority of AHers are very economic about providing information regarding their real identity. Now in fairness, she is new to the forum, but I wouldn't say that being careful with divulging personal details is something unique to boards or Irish people in general. Also, a great deal of those details were completely unnecessary.

Forthcoming with their emotions is one way to put it :P I've travelled with American friends in the past, and they were always the ones who got screwed due to being naive and expecting everyone to be honest with them. It's rather endearing that they're so trusting of strangers but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world, and some street smarts really don't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One more thing: if an Irish person asks "how are you?", it's just another version of "hello". They don't actually want to know how you are. I made that mistake when I first moved here ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

The lads in tracksuits on the corner of O'connell street are not athletes taking a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Gmol wrote: »
    The lads in tracksuits on the corner of O'connell street are not athletes taking a break

They're wallet inspectors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

The level of creepiness has gone too far here.

Closed by request.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement