Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some things an American should know about the Irish Culture?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Deadly is also a term used for something good here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

WickedWest wrote: »
    Most people tell me to speak up.

Okay you may now leave the tourist trap of Dublin and enjoy the real Ireland. Drive on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Welp, looks like I have a lot to learn!

Don't forget to pay your American tax when you arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Do you mean the the UCC secret murder cult?

No, he means that you have to go to Cork to get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Welp, looks like I have a lot to learn!

Well if anyone catches on that you're not one of the natives, just drop maybe 5 or 6 likes into a single sentence and you should be good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

sheesh wrote: »
    be aware the cork is considered the Texas of ireland.

other way round surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Are you coming over on a Trocaire Aid programme?

Confab wrote: »
    Ah yes, that's what I forgot to mention. Irish cities (including Dublin) are a touch provincial compared to the rest of Europe. If you want to have a great time, go somewhere other than Ireland. My suggestions for great cities are London, Stockholm, Prague, Munich, Milan and Barcelona. Dublin's a bit of a yawnfest unless you really like pubs. Galway is a bit of fun though.
    Provincial........methinks you need to leave Dublin for a weekend.

other way round surely

You mean that Ireland is considered the Texas of Cork?
    Provincial........methinks you need to leave Dublin for a weekend.

You haven't got the hang of the concept. If Dublin is provincial, the Midlands are going to be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

other way round surely

the texas is considered the cork of ireland?

ireland is considered the cork of texas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I meant the other pic.

Oh, then yup, that's me!

And you need to know that at least a dozen of us, probably many more, have used our socks to clean up after looking at your pics.

I could have repopulated China by this point, to be honest.

summerskin wrote: »
    And you need to know that at least a dozen of us, probably many more, have used our socks to clean up after looking at your pics.

Think your kettle is boiled there. Time for.dinner. Supernoodles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ah yes, that's what I forgot to mention. Irish cities (including Dublin) are a touch provincial compared to the rest of Europe. If you want to have a great time, go somewhere other than Ireland. My suggestions for great cities are London, Stockholm, Prague, Munich, Milan and Barcelona. Dublin's a bit of a yawnfest unless you really like pubs. Galway is a bit of fun though.

I don't agree with this at all. Sure Ireland may not be as cultured as some other places in Europe. But it should still offer a new and interesting experience for a young student. Also I think Cork is an excellent choice, great night life for students.
    Ignore the negativity that is so prevalent on this forum. With an open minded outgoing attitude you will have an amazing time.

You mean that Ireland is considered the Texas of Cork?

You haven't got the hang of the concept. If Dublin is provincial, the Midlands are going to be worse.
    Sure look. Leave it as a concept and leave Dublin for a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

sheesh wrote: »
    the texas is considered the cork of ireland?

ireland is considered the cork of texas?

Epic 2000th post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

We love being stopped by random foreigners (usually English) and asked to repeat;

'thirty-three and a third'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

When someone says, Hi, How are you? you don't answer that, you say exactly the same thing, we don't actually tell people how we feel, that's a big no no, so if you're the emotional type, stop that carry on, it's not right.

Other ones which are limited to certain types of people
    The How are you doing boss... this may be a casual saluation to anybody, usually a friend, but not an actual boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WickedWest

What? You mean you have dirty feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

also in ireland craic could be considered equivalent to what you might know as fun

Buzz is roughly the same as atmosphere.

So if you were out for a night you might say there was great crack and buzz around town tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Someone says 'how are ye?' the right answer is 'Ah sure I'm grand'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

What? You mean you have dirty feet?

Cum again???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

When someone says, Hi, How are you? you don't answer that, you say exactly the same thing, we don't actually tell people how we feel, that's a big no no, so if you're the emotional type, stop that carry on, it's not right.
    Just in case this gets lost in all of the bad advice we are giving you, this one is actually serious. Very serious.

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't agree with this at all. Sure Ireland may not be as cultured as some other places in Europe. But it should still offer a new and interesting experience for a young student. Also I think Cork is an excellent choice, great night life for students.
    Ignore the negativity that is so prevalent on this forum. With an open minded outgoing attitude you will have an amazing time.

Ireland's good, not great. Great is when you can round a corner and see yet another great view, be it buildings, people, food or entertainment. For feck's sake I lived in Brisbane, considered a bit of a backwater by Australian standards, and it was heaven compared to Dublin - and I'm not even talking about he weather.
    Just in case this gets lost in all of bad advice we are giving you, this one is actually serious. Very serious.

It is indeed. Take this on board and you won't go far wrong, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ireland's good, not great. Great is when you can round a corner and see yet another great view, be it buildings, people, food or entertainment. For feck's sake I lived in Brisbane, considered a bit of a backwater by Australian standards, and it was heaven compared to Dublin - and I'm not even talking about he weather.

Go back there so:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

...I lived in Brisbane, considered a bit of a backwater by Australian standards, and it was heaven compared to Dublin...

But she's coming to Cork. It's not hard for anywhere to be better than Dublin, but Cahrk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Cum again???

Those socks will be able to stand up on their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Hi, How are you? you don't answer that, you say exactly the same thing, we don't actually tell people how we feel, that's a big no no, so if you're the emotional type, stop that carry on, it's not right.

2 possible replies

a) grand
    b) how are you?

leg hanging off/sick/excited/whatever answer a)

General greeting either a) or b)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I am a bit (really) white. Will I get made fun of for that?
    Attachment not found.

See? I practically glow :(
    Well the one thing you won't be going home with, is skin cancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I lived with three different 'mericans who were in UCC on the exchange program on year (07 / 08 college year).

Do it, you won't regret it!

They all had a great time, though they could not understand any of us in the house for the first six weeks or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Oh sorry, another one, this is an awful hybrid of American Culture, which we have manipulated for our own means with awful consequences... they are a dying breed, but still existant, and should you see them, you'll know what I mean.

As we don't get enough natural sunlight in Ireland, certain females have taken the colour orange, by sprluging fake tan on them, to make them not look so ridicolously white. Contrary to deep rooted belief, this is not attractive, and is both ridicolous and annoying. Some of these regularly say ohmigod and like, as if there was no tomorrow. Ignore at all costs
    Sky King wrote: »
    I lived with three different 'mericans who were in UCC on the exchange program on year (07 / 08 college year).

Do it, you won't regret it!

They all had a great time, though they could not understand any of us in the house for the first six weeks or so.

Yeah, but that's just because Cork people make it especially difficult :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement