Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some things an American should know about the Irish Culture?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WickedWest

bluewolf wrote: »
    WickedWest wrote: »
    Okay, that's the first thing I'll say when I get to Ireland, right after I ask how the policeman's mother is and take his hat so I can't be arrested.

they're called the guards

That's better, policeman is a bit of a mouthful anyway.

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    'PS I Love You' is fiction. And bad fiction at that.
    We apologise for the misleading propaganda, and to all the disappinted Yankettes it has left in its wake :(

Ooh, that is disappointing, perhaps I should go to Scotland instead?

Just kidding, I haven't actually seen it, I don't care for sad movies. That, and I didn't want to watch a movie in which Gerard Butler was already dead before the opening credits :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Potatoes are and have been the cause and solution to all Irish problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Red Hand wrote: »
    Potatoes are and have been the cause and solution to all Irish problems.

you are thinking about beer ;)

A fag is something you smoke

Confab post 144 is very good

I did know that, but thanks! Are you a trekkie, by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

markie29 wrote: »
    you are thinking about beer ;)

Poiteen can be made from potatoes.

My point still stands!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think she's ahead by a nose (or maybe a sock) at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Oh, also worth noting that by American standards, Irish people (especially the older generation) can sometimes be quite un-PC. Try not to be offended by it and just go with the flow. I remember ordering from Apache pizza and my American housemate made a big deal over the fact that one pizza was called 'tomahawk' something, and it was rather irritating. Unless it's blindingly obvious that a person means to be offensive, just let it go.

looksee wrote: »
    I think she's ahead by a nose (or maybe a sock) at the moment.

Who's ahead of what? This is my own thread and I can't even follow it!

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    Oh, also worth noting that by American standards, Irish people (especially the older generation) can sometimes be quite un-PC. Try not to be offended by it and just go with the flow. I remember ordering from Apache pizza and my American housemate made a big deal over the fact that one pizza was called 'tomahawk' something, and it was rather irritating. Unless it's blindingly obvious that a person means to be offensive, just let it go.

I don't even know why someone would take offense to that.

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    Come over and Marry me. Don't mind the rest of the lads here. i WOULD SAY yOU WELL like Ireland. Many americans like it here

Can I get a green card if I marry you? If so, sounds perfect! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Apparently it's a racial slur (???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It is also important to replace all letter ssesses with cesses when in Ireland.

offense becomes offence
    defense becomes defence
    sock becomes cock
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭cml387

One other thing.

It's very uncool to admit to liking U2 in Ireland.

The cool thing to say is that they went downhill after "Boy".

You are of course welcome hold the view that they are the best rock band in the world,but just don't admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

On a clear day you can see Boston Massachusetts from the west side of Achill Island (Co. Mayo)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Don't bring up the topic of religion like this tourist did:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ok I'm back from rescuing those orphans, what did I miss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

Driving on the left is easy enough to get used to. Incidently, you should always offer any male friends a ride. This will make you very extremely popular.

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

What I'm looking for in Ireland isn't big city life
    Avoid Leitrim so.

Should you find yourself in the (unlikely) situation of taking a fancy to an Irish lad whilst over here, and in the course of your romantic dalliances said lad is spending too much time engaging in foreplay (even more unlikely) a quick "Horse/Lob it in to me boss" should suffice without hurting anyone's feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Avoid Leitrim so.

Should you find yourself in the (unlikely) situation of taking a fancy to an Irish lad whilst over here, and in the course of your romantic dalliances said lad is spending too much time engaging in foreplay (even more unlikely) a quick "Horse/Lob it in to me boss" should suffice without hurting anyone's feelings.

Had to lol at this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

OP, I think this thread is your first test of working out when the Irish are taking the piss and when they're being serious :P

Some serious advice for you cause you said you don't drink - I don't either and I get on grand - you just have to show that you don't mind others drinking and that you can have a good time without it. Some people I know don't even realise I'm not drinking (if we don't get into rounds).

Also, the others here may kill me for telling you :P, but be warned that "ride" means "to have sex" so don't ask for "rides" home - if you want someone to bring you home in their car, it's a lift you're looking for, not a ride.

We really do say grand all the time - it means "fine" more or less. And we also say "sure" a lot for no real reason ("Ah, sure, it'll be grand" - that's our general mentality, tbh). Oh and "how are you?" (often shortened to "howiya") just means "hi".

Don't ask about leprechauns (seriously, just don't) and don't expect us to sound like Hollywood Irish accents (NO-ONE actually speaks like that!) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

GAELIC is not some sort of homosexual act

A Euro is worth about 20 american dollars

Gee is like a fanny but on the front

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

OP, I think this thread is your first test of working out when the Irish are taking the piss and when they're being serious :P

+1 to that. If you can keep up with this thread in any way, you'll be grand :) Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭pache

do ya take pipe?.

btard wrote: »
    Driving on the left is easy enough to get used to. Incidently, you should always offer any male friends a ride. This will make you very extremely popular.

*cough*

Why? I mean, I give people rides here in Nebraska all the time, but I dont think I'm any more popular for it. :confused:

Where To wrote: »
    It is also important to replace all letter ssesses with cesses when in Ireland.

offense becomes offence
    defense becomes defence
    sock becomes cock
    etc.

But you wouldn't find it weird if I were to text you saying, "I need to buy some cocks at the store tomorrow."??

longshanks wrote: »
    Ok I'm back from rescuing those orphans, what did I miss?

Just some lessons on giving rides, not liking U2, and replacing 's' with 'c' even in the case of socks...

...Or should I say cocks?

I'm PRETTY sure I know which ones are jokes.

pache wrote: »
    do ya take pipe?.

What's pipe?

Also, the others here may kill me for telling you :P, but be warned that "ride" means "to have sex" so don't ask for "rides" home - if you want someone to bring you home in their car, it's a lift you're looking for, not a ride.

Oh god, I wish I had just skipped ahead to read this post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

micropig wrote: »
    and just two kisses for greeting hello, one on each cheek..some countries in Europe do three kisses

what? when did the belgians take over?
    handshake for the lads, shifting for the burds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement