Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Dilemma

Options
  • 23-04-2012 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Looking for some advice / information.

I have had a UK BOI credit card for about 8 years. There is a balance on it, not a major amount, but a balance none the less. I no longer live in the UK, I live in Ireland. I am having extreme difficulty meeting the minimum payments ( again they are not much, but unfortunately they come behind the mortgage, food, diesel etc.. you all know the story ). I have been paying it for 2 years now, even though i have live in Ireland for that time. And have tried my best to keep up, as I am not one to not pay my way as such. I haven't used the credit card in about 4 months. But the balance is not going down as I am only meeting the minimum payments. My question is ( as I feel I am going to end up missing a few payments between now an Christmas due to our circumstances ) if i stop paying it what happens, given I no longer live in the country. What are the consequences if any? Would love some advice.

Thanks
    JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

I had a couple of big credit card balances a few years ago so what I tried to do was consolidate them into a loan in order to clear them quicker.

Banks are not fans of taking on other banks debts mind you but if you can find a credit card with 0% interest on balance transfers, that's a good way to get a break from paying interest and get your balance down. It's what I did with Halifax who of course are no more. Maybe this was a factor, I don't know.

Anyone know if these are still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

http://creditcard.ie/find_card/card_type.html?id=16

EDIT: THEN CUT UP ALL YOUR CREDIT CARDS IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.

Advertisement