Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House or apartment?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

I think the main advanatge a house has over most apartments is it's own front door. There is nothing as horrible as walking through bland usually dirty corridors to reach an apartment. No matter how nice, its difficult to beat having your own front door, like when you have loads of bags, you can just drop one inside before getting the rest?
    Im living in an Apt with its own door, its great!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

It sounds like a lot of contributors here have been living in really crappy apartments! I suppose the most important thing is Location Location Location... Whether it's a house or an apartment where you are and who you're living next to will impact on your enjoyment of your home.

Personally I live in an apartment, I am fine with the space, it's good enough for me and my needs. The best things about it is the security, some may say this is psychological but I feel really safe knowing that we have 24 hour security people on call. On top of this I must get through a locked gate and a locked door before I reach my own front door.

You have more neighbours adjacent to you in an apartment but in a house you can still have two, I have read on this forum of neighbours who fill their gardens with rubbish, have dogs running wild and loud parties, there is good and bad neighbours everywhere in both houses and apartments alike. So far in 2012 there have been 2 parties in my apartment block, both finished at midnight.

At the end of the day only you can decide what will be best for you. If there is an opportunity to rent in the area before you buy there then that would be the best thing to do, otherwise you will find out about all the problems (or wonderful things) when you've paid your money down!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I think the main advanatge a house has over most apartments is it's own front door. There is nothing as horrible as walking through bland usually dirty corridors to reach an apartment. No matter how nice, its difficult to beat having your own front door, like when you have loads of bags, you can just drop one inside before getting the rest?
    Im living in an Apt with its own door, its great!

Dont know where you are living but my apartment building is like a hotel; well decorated and spotlessly clean at all times :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Lollymcd wrote: »
    It sounds like a lot of contributors here have been living in really crappy apartments!...
    That's because there are a lot of really crappy apartments out there!

There are a number of ways in which they can be crappy:
    - lousy design, with layouts that don't suit people;
    - poor build quality (soundproofing being a very common issue);
    - neighbours that you wouldn't want;
    - security problems;
    - management companies that don't function very well;
    - etc.

They distort people's perceptions, whose eyes are deflected from the decent quality apartments that also exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

phi3 wrote: »
    Yes i see how that could be a problem. In saying that a lot of houses I've been in have washing machines in the kitchen. I don't think it would bother me too much to be honest.
    In a lot of apartments, the kitchen and living room are the same room. Also, as some apartments are poorly made, you may hear the neighbours washing machine.
    phi3 wrote: »
    apart from the dodgy inmates
    You get neighbours like that in apartments and houses, to be fair...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

the_syco wrote: »
    In a lot of apartments, the kitchen and living room are the same room. Also, as some apartments are poorly made, you may hear the neighbours washing machine.

It's called open plan living and many modern houses and modernised houses also have it. Personally, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

As I said I live in an apartment, it's open plan but my washing machine is in a storage room in my hallway, really a fantastic idea! I can't say I have ever heard my neighbours washing machine, the only time I hear them is if they are in the communal hall and are talking loudly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

odds_on wrote: »

It's called open plan living and many modern houses and modernised houses also have it. Personally, I like it.
    He is explaining why you hear the noise of the washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I lived in a apartment a few years ago. I agree with the lot of the other posters here in regards to apartments re lack of kitchen space, lack of storage, noise of other people next door or above or below you.
    You also have to be prepared to pay €1000 plus a year maintenance fees.
    Look the how much apartments have fallen in value since the downturn and now a lot of people who have families are stuck in them.
    I would keep saving and buy a house when it comes to buying. Get a full survey done on the house before buying it. I bought a house and I put some money aside each month for maintenance and to have money there when my washing machine ect need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭doughef

I love living in my apartment...

Me and the missus, one bed place.. very comfortable

I'll admit were lucky as the development is great. 24 hour conceirge, developer still contributing to the upkeep.. we even have a gym.

I forgot about the washing machine issues. Used to live in a small place with a girl who always seemed to put a wash on just as I sat down to watch a film...:mad:
    As for an apartment v House... I wouldnt leave mine but if we get married etc down the line I might have too..
    A friend of mine lives in a house, neighbours are a nightmare.. he can even hear them flushing the jacks so unless you live in a house in the country your gonna hear something of your neighbours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

odds_on wrote: »
    Most modern houses have a separate room for the washing machine, as they tend to be noisy.
    ted1 wrote: »
    He is explaining why you hear the noise of the washing machine.
    At least someone saw this.
    doughef wrote: »
    A friend of mine lives in a house, neighbours are a nightmare.. he can even hear them flushing the jacks so unless you live in a house in the country your gonna hear something of your neighbours!
    Like apartments, a lot of houses were built with corners cut. I know of apartments that the person could hear their neighbours loo flushing from their own bedroom! Same as everywhere: get the place looked at before you buy it. Some people "fell in love" with the look or the price, and ignored all the little things, but the little things are what annoy you over time.

Advertisement