Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing and good manners

Options
  • 23-04-2012 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

I have fished my local club river for over 7 years, this year I have noticed a large increase in people taking up the sport on the river this season.
    Some of these people look like they have spent some serious cash on gear, but forgot to look at the ethics and good manners involved with our hobby.
    I have always enjoyed the spot I fish it is nice and quite (40 min. walk from the nearest road.) Wildlife is everywhere from kingfisher to otter, a beautiful spot to relax even if the fishing is terrible.
    This season however is becoming a nightmare.
    This weekend I was fishing spot and the fish were been very co-operative by taking the flies hard and fast I was up to eleven fish within an hour.
    When suddenly a spinner came shooting across me into the stretch I was fishing.
    Some idiot (Irish late 40’s) cast straight across me.
    When I asked what the hell he was doing, his reply,
    “ I noticed that you were catching fish so I decided to move up here as there were no fish where I was.”
    Two mates shortly joined him, these two with fly rods (all hardy and expensive gear), who decided to wade in and crowd me out. When I confronted them they start getting aggressive and very threatening that I ended up moving.
    Anyway sorry for the rant but if you are taking up this great hobby please try show some respect to others and learn good manners So we can all enjoy the sport

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

thats just being a D1ck casting into where somebody is catching.
    “ I noticed that you were catching fish so I decided to move up here as there were no fish where I was.”
    More like "there were fish there, but I wasnt able to catch them"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I was out for pike on a small river between 2 lakes. Suddenly some wild Germans appeared trawling from a boat and 5 times I was forced to retrieve due to them choosing the spot I was on opposed to the 200 sq miles available elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

That's some pretty ignorant behaviour reported by the OP! It is also worth noting that using spinners is not always legal on club owned waters, particularly, during certain times of the year. If that is the case, it is worth reporting these people to the local club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I never fresh water fish but one of the few times i did we were at a lake in monaghan and only catching a few smallies when along comes about 6 indians and a big fúck off remote control boat! They whacked it in the water and scared all/any fish away, knowing we were trying to fish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Time for a precision cast 6oz lead to turn it into a remote controlled submarine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

reminds me of a few years ago i was deadbaiting and a few travellers started fishing beside me, they were spinning with their lidl beach caster rods. In all fairness they seen my rods out and didnt cast over my lines. I caught a double figured pike when they were there, they wondered was i going to eat it. When i told them i wasne they wondered could they eat it! :D dont think they ever seen a double figured pike, and were sad to see her returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Happens a lot when mackerel bashing! If I arrive late and d place is busy I go away and fish the quiter less productive spots until someone decides to go home! But others will just come in between two of us and crowd you out, cast across you! There have been some serious staring matches!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

Yeah, the mackeral bashers can be a real pain!! Massive lead weights, with six feathers attached, lines going everywhere. If you happen to be bait fishing, you don't stand a chance! Most of these guys don't have a clue, and the words 'fishing etiquette' would never enter the minds of most of them :mad:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I fished a competition in Maynooth last year and when a fish rose right in front of my peg the guys on either side of me both cast straight at it, and not once but two or three times. If the fish had been 20 yards out then fine but 5 yards out........It was the first and last competition I will ever take part in. Arseholes.

I'm usually on the float if im mackerel fishing and i do be gettin milled out of it by lads with feathers, im usually fairly tolerant of lads going over my lines, it's mackerel fishing, nothing you can do about it but when they clearly see your line and start casting over it then i lose the cool.

a quick "watch what you're doing" usually sorts them out, if not, i tell them to fúck off away from me or cast in a different direction, if that doesn't work, i cut their line the next time they get caught up in me. It might not be the most pleasant thing to do on them but when they're ruining a good days mackerel fishing on you, what more can you do?

Oh and last year i was float fishing off the side of skerries harbour when a lad i know who was there with a beach caster and 6 feathers went to cast out beside me, completely fúcked it up, and then got his six feathers wrapped around my neck and chest. Sore as fúck. But it's all part of mackerel fishing :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

What gets to me is guy's pendulum casting on a crowded beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Patolagola

Iv noticed this allot, getting forced out of your spot because they see you catching...

I'm 6ft7 and heavy, so the forcing is a bit harder.... But I also never go fishing alone so that helps.

Best thing to do is strat recording them on your phone and report them to the club.

@P4DDY2K11 I would do the same if it happened over and over.....

@Northclare, whats wrong with pendulum casting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Nothing wrong with pendulum casting but when there is a frayed leader and a 6oz lead coming around before the push pull action, that's when it's dangerous.

I love the pendulum cast it helped me a lot on those dark November nights when fishing those matches on the east coast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

The ordnance survey page states that the total length of Ireland's coastline, over 32 counties, is 1,970.5 miles.can ye not find a spot where there isnt a crowd for **** sake i thought fishing was for relaxing and not fighting other males carrying on like animals.
    Patolagola id throw a gallon of petrol on you and burn bitch burn:D

anthonyos wrote: »
    The ordnance survey page states that the total length of Ireland's coastline, over 32 counties, is 1,970.5 miles.can ye not find a spot where there isnt a crowd for **** sake i thought fishing was for relaxing and not fighting other males carrying on like animals.

What is wrong with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

BANNED

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

He's pissed!!!!
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

What is wrong with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Patolagola

Good, he was a troll....

In a way he has a point and when I am heading out if I get to a mark that has people there Il head to another mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Before you pack up , specially with a fly rod , is to trash the top of the water

till any fish worth the name is scared away six miles up or down river.....

just keep on crashing the cast onto the top of the water and lift again until the

action causes bubbles to appear .....

and go up and down the spot ......a good flacking .......then just pack up and

return in a day or two.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The worst is when ur out on ya own fishing away catching or not on nice day in a quiet spot on the lake and a load of smokies come out of nowhere with cans and rods used for catching tope and hole day hound ya for a smoke when they run out and then the cans get thrown in the water or they get bored and start skimming stones or shouting at each other and every tens minutes shouting any luck mate
    Maybe that's just blessington tho

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The worst is when ur out on ya own fishing away catching or not on nice day in a quiet spot on the lake and a load of smokies come out of nowhere with cans and rods used for catching tope and hole day hound ya for a smoke when they run out and then the cans get thrown in the water or they get bored and start skimming stones or shouting at each other and every tens minutes shouting any luck mate
    Maybe that's just blessington tho

Nope its Howth,clogherhead and any stretch of the Canal reachable by bus.

Advertisement