Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2 Episode 4 - *Have NOT Read the Books* (Spoilers)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

I see some posts above complaining about supernatural elements !!

Really , if that type of thing bothers you then game of thrones is not for you, its very much a Sword and Sorcery king of story ...

I'll list a few concepts below , not spoilers but I'll spoiler tag them anyway just in case ....
    Its set in a world where summer lasts for decades if not centuries , at the current time , hardly anyone has seen a real winter , hence the term " Winter is coming " . Winters last just as long !
    When Winter comes , the White Walkers come with it , White Walkers can raise the dead , and they use them as armies , the only effective weapon against them is fire or Obsidian , which is called Dragonstone in that world
    There are also Sorcerers , who can make or use magical weapons , some of those show up soon.
    If there is not a fully grown Dragon in Westeros that is controlled by a Child of the Dragons by the time Winter and the White Walkers really comes , Westeros is pretty much screwed. A Dragon is the only way Westeros will survive invasion by the White Walkers. Dragons have been thought to be extinct since the time of the Targaryen Kings
    The wall was set up to keep the White Walkers and other creatures ( Giants , Trolls , etc. ) out of Westeros , the current summer has lasted so long that the Nights Watch has been ignored and has degenerated into a Penal Colony. No one really believes in the White Walkers anymore , or any of the other creatures beyond the wall , but they show up. While the various claimants are squabbling over the Iron Throne , a massive threat is building up beyond the wall that they are totally unaware of.

So , if supernatural stuff bothers you , stop watching , its just going to get more common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

andy1249 wrote: »
    I see some posts above complaining about supernatural elements !!

Really , if that type of thing bothers you then game of thrones is not for you, its very much a Sword and Sorcery king of story ...

I'll list a few concepts below , not spoilers but I'll spoiler tag them anyway just in case ....
    Its set in a world where summer lasts for decades if not centuries , at the current time , hardly anyone has seen a real winter , hence the term " Winter is coming " . Winters last just as long !
    When Winter comes , the White Walkers come with it , White Walkers can raise the dead , and they use them as armies , the only effective weapon against them is fire or Obsidian , which is called Dragonstone in that world
    There are also Sorcerers , who can make or use magical weapons , some of those show up soon.
    If there is not a fully grown Dragon in Westeros that is controlled by a Child of the Dragons by the time Winter and the White Walkers really comes , Westeros is pretty much screwed. A Dragon is the only way Westeros will survive invasion by the White Walkers. Dragons have been thought to be extinct since the time of the Targaryen Kings
    The wall was set up to keep the White Walkers and other creatures ( Giants , Trolls , etc. ) out of Westeros , the current summer has lasted so long that the Nights Watch has been ignored and has degenerated into a Penal Colony. No one really believes in the White Walkers anymore , or any of the other creatures beyond the wall , but they show up. While the various claimants are squabbling over the Iron Throne , a massive threat is building up beyond the wall that they are totally unaware of.

So , if supernatural stuff bothers you , stop watching , its just going to get more common.

You're responding to people who haven't read the books. If they click on all of that they will be seriously spoilered for the next few years.

I don't really see the need for that, you could have just commented on what's been seen so far in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Ah no, that looks more like a summation/recap up to where we currently are in the series

We know there are dragons
    We know there are whitewalkers
    We can surmise that one is needed to kill the other
    We know about long winters
    We know something is amiss north of the wall

So in fairness not massivley spoilerific had ye been paying attention

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Ah no, that looks more like a summation/recap up to where we currently are in the series

We know there are dragons
    We know there are whitewalkers
    We can surmise that one is needed to kill the other
    We know about long winters
    We know something is amiss north of the wall

So in fairness not massivley spoilerific had ye been paying attention

Can we? Really? Because all we've seen of either so far are very brief glimpses of whitewalkers and a couple of shots of baby dragons. I didn't know it was that obvious that one is needed to kill the other.

I really don't see why there is any sort of discussion about how things are in the show compared to what they were like in the book, especially things that are yet to happen in the show. This thread is for those who haven't read the book, there's a completely separate thread for those of you who have! I don't see the need for any discussion regarding anything to do with the books being in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye I agree, even with spoiler tags there should be no discussion of the book at all in this thread. That's what the other one is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

tvnutz wrote: »
    Ye I agree, even with spoiler tags there should be no discussion of the book at all in this thread. That's what the other one is for.
    yes book off bookers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The intention is clear in the thread title, it's there for all too see. Spoilers, hints or innuendo from the books is not part of these threads, nor is it appreciated. Spoiler-tagging it doesn't negate things, so behave! :)

What the f*ck is going on? Spoilers in this thread?

F*ck off back to your read the books thread

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

really wish I didnt come into this thread. Massive spoilers from the a reader it seems. And thats without highlighting the spoiler tags.

The magic elements in the series are great. I like they way they are being teased out. With regards to the shadow demon I suspect we will get some more back ground on that. I reckon season by season they will up the fantasy elements. I was actually surprised at how little was in season 1.

And they person who said that for a regular viewer dragons were ok but shadow demons a no no, they are both as fantastical as each other. In fact I'd saydragons more so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Really, there's not much in the way of spoilers. There's some background and filling in the gaps left by the books but that's about it (there's also some conjecture that the books haven't even confirmed so don't worry about it, nothing's being spoiled in this thread.

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    You're responding to people who haven't read the books. If they click on all of that they will be seriously spoilered for the next few years.

I don't really see the need for that, you could have just commented on what's been seen so far in the series.

They're not spoilers they're story fillers, all of this is just little pieces he thinks you ought to know as the story progresses and has been hinted at by that Nan character in Winterfell anyway.

Advertisement