Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone else not notice or care about the recession?

• 23-04-2012 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

rollcall, anyone else not buy a ridiculously priced house in the boom years, and still have a job?

the IT sector hasnt been hit, so there must quite a few techies here on boards?

the recession is mentioned in nearly every thread I read, yawn, and Im thinking jesus get over it!

Anyone? Beuller?

This whole recession business is really getting old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Mmmm yes and no.

I never bought a house and I've got a decent job that pays well.. USC and inflation are the only ways it affects me. Also there is no nightlife in the country anymore (not that I give a crap)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Not really. I have no debts and a bit of money for luxuries. Then again, I've no car, kids or mortgage. I'm in cloud computing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

What recession? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Been enjoying life like it never happened thankfully! Work in IT and there's still tons of jobs out there.

Really feel for some people who are finding it tough though. Some..definitely not all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've no debt, mortgage or punk-ass kids and I'm living well within my means.............though I have plastic bags and string as shoes :(

IT sector here in the west has only recently began growing again after having a bit of a stall. Was hard as fùck to secure a job in my profession, especially if you weren't a programmer / developer.

As it went when applying: Job requires lots of experience, require job for lots of experience :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

No mortgage or kids so don't feel the pinch personally.
    Been working away throughout the recession. Lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I’m still employed and I didn’t buy a ridiculously priced house either but I did buy one. The fact that some of my family, my friends and my neighbours are having a really hard time makes me reflect on how lucky I am. I haven’t anything to get over!!

There but for the grace of God, go I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I did buy a poxy fucking apartment in 2005 but nearly have it paid off now as i have been lucratively employed throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Politicians probably do not notice or care about the recession.
    For them, the party still goes on with their massive wages, expenses and gold plated pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I did buy a poxy fucking apartment in 2005 but nearly have it paid off now as i have been lucratively employed throughout.

WOW in only 7 years??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Wake me up when it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

anhedonia wrote: »
    rollcall, anyone else not buy a ridiculously priced house in the boom years, and still have a job?

the recession is mentioned in nearly every thread I read, yawn, and Im thinking jesus get over it!

Anyone? Beuller?

Reminds me of cancer.

I don't suffer from it personally, so I wish that those people boring people who do would just get over it.

I bought an apartment in the height of the boom, luckily I had bought and sold another property and the profit went straight into the new place so I didn't have such a big mortgage. I still owe a whole hell of a lot more than it's worth though! But I've been lucky enough to have a good job that I'm unlikely to lose any time soon (never say never). I am comfortable, I live in a nice house (rented) and I can pretty much afford to go out any time I want. I wish I could sell the apartment and buy a house, but I can't, so I'm not going to bother worrying about it as long as I can afford the mortgage.

I'm incredibly lucky to be able to say that so far, I haven't been overly affected by the recession. But I'm fully aware of the fact that there are many many others who are not so lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Anyone? Beuller?

I see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

the recession is mentioned in nearly every thread I read, yawn,

So the best thing to do is start a thread about it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

HURR HURR HURR I SAW IT COMING AND RENTED IN THE BOOM HURR HURR HURR

HARK AT ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I've just been told By my employers that I am going to be replaced by an inanimate carbon rod :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

davet82 wrote: »
    So the best thing to do is start a thread about it :confused:

Ha ha i had a good laugh

We bought a resonable price house' spent a few years making it a home when we had money' both of us are not in great jobs'but i lost my job end of feb and my stamps still prety much cover all my bills with the wifes job' im going for my 2nd interview for a job tomorrow so hopfully ill get it. So woopy doody doo to me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Anyone? Beuller?

But you have just done it :/

ah fvck it

I'm off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Anyone? Beuller?

I would have thought with a username like anhedonia that you wouldn't care either way about something like a recession ?

Also....techies on a webforum ???? F**K OFF no way !??!!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Reminds me of cancer.

I don't suffer from it personally, so I wish that those people boring people who do would just get over it.

Are most news stories and message board threads cancer-related ?

I would have thought with a username like anhedonia that you wouldn't care either way about something like a recession ?

Na I can still feel boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Anyone? Beuller?

Not easy to do when you struggle to feed yourself for the week...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Anyone? Beuller?

Come on, Irish people need *something* to whine impotently about and the whole 800 years thing is getting a bit long in the tooth.
    So it's the recession for now.

We'll move onto something else eventually, my guess will be something to do with those damn robosapians....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i didnt buy in the boom ( am only 25) but never took out any stupid HP car loans or loans for holidays so have zero debts.

I work in IT so still have a job that pays well, and i live in ballsbridge HARR HARR HARR ...

im ashamed of my smugness :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Sure the staff of Peats and Game notice (to name a recent two).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So you started another one.....yawn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Reminds me of cancer.

I know, the selfish bastards... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Anyone? Beuller?

I have noticed it. Mainly because I now work in England due to the economy being rubbish in my native homeland of Ireland. It's unfair that these stupid treads start to point how better people are than others in dire straits (my sister for one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Me and partner never took out loans. We both still have good jobs and we've no kids so we're sitting pretty. The recession is actually good for us, now we can afford a house in a nice area when we do decide to buy. So yeah the recession has it's silver lining in some ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I never really felt the boom at all. I worked in a reasonably paid job and I didnt live on credit. I didnt buy a beemer on the never never and when I did buy a house It was outside of dublin and I could afford it. Absolutly nothing whatsoever has changed for me in the recession bar the USC and some other things being more expensive.

I was talking to a 20 year old celtic tiger girl yesterday and its like she lived on a different planet and differnt world to me where coke was like coffee to them and quite literally money magically appeared. Funny thing is I know her mother well and they would have been on the same wages as me so I simply cannot comprehend how these people exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Anyone? Beuller?

I hadn't noticed OP, cheers for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Ha ha i had a good laugh

We bought a resonable price house' spent a few years making it a home when we had money' both of us are not in great jobs'but i lost my job end of feb and my stamps still prety much cover all my bills with the wifes job' im going for my 2nd interview for a job tomorrow so hopfully ill get it. So woopy doody doo to me :D

Best of luck chief. Hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the whole concept of recession is based on personal perception.
    the more you invested gambled, and the more you spent splurged, the more you notice the difference now.
    for those who have been smart with their finances there is no recession, or in some cases this is their boom, by gaining from other people's losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

the more you invested gambled, and the more you spent splurged, the more you notice the difference now.
    for those who have been smart with their finances there is no recession, or in some cases this is their boom, by gaining from other people's losses.

In a recession most people have reduced purchasing power. They buy less, while prices remain high dues to rates, upwards only rent review etc. The business fails and YOU lose your job, regardless of whether or not you bought a house. That's recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yeah i noticed how sh!t business is in general.

Though I think the austerity wouldn't be too hard at all to stomach if I didn't have to endure the lengthy tales of never ending public sector fcukups and stories of how millions of my hard earned grade is being pissed away by politicians rammed down my throat by the collective media every day of the mother fuking week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Appears to be getting better i.e more job announcements and less closures.

The main effect of the recession was keeping me in a job that I dont like but grateful to have it at the same time.Hopefully people will soon have choices again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Well I'm only 20, so during the boom times I was still underage. I notice the recession a lot - mostly due to the fact that I can't get any part-time work at all because I've no experience in any sector at all. There's always elderly people striking up conversations with me at bus-stops too, asking why I haven't emigrated yet. Some of the things they tell me are so morbidly depressing that you'd be slitting your wrists at the end of the conversation (more monologue really). They're very fast to tell you how utterly awful everything is these days. :eek:

Things were always a little tight in my house though, even during the boom years, but it's very very tight these days. I just sort of take it as par for the course though.
    I was talking to a 20 year old celtic tiger girl yesterday and its like she lived on a different planet and differnt world to me where coke was like coffee to them and quite literally money magically appeared. Funny thing is I know her mother well and they would have been on the same wages as me so I simply cannot comprehend how these people exist.

Right....

..and people in their twenties facing long term unemployment, children with disabilities who've had support cut, pensioners who can't afford heating etc. don't exist at all apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

I never really felt the boom at all. I worked in a reasonably paid job and I didnt live on credit. I didnt buy a beemer on the never never and when I did buy a house It was outside of dublin and I could afford it. Absolutly nothing whatsoever has changed for me in the recession bar the USC and some other things being more expensive.

Haha

I love those replies.

I didn't buy a car, an expensive house, foreign holiday homes, I am so great.

Unemployment has went from 5% to 14%, your were lucky, you could have easily lost your job.

You should just admit you were lucky.I know I am very lucky.

Loads of people just like you lost there jobs.Hard working, modest, living within there means.

Media doesn't talk about them, instead has made up a world of people like your friends daughter.

20 year old celtic girl who was 14 at the time of the boom, I somehow doubt that story:rolleyes: Swimming in coke at 14 years old, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭@rti-shm@rti

Well I too am one of those lucky peeps that didn't buy a stupidly priced cardboard box masquerading as an apartment in the boom years. I don't have kids etc so that's crossed off the list too.

I do however know that I'm definitely earning less than I would have been in this sector 5 years ago and paying the same rent on top of that. I suppose I'm lucky though to have a job.

One thing I'm surprised noone's mentioned is that I'm definitely lacking on the friends front! :mad: As in sooooo many of my bessies are off in Oz etc because they weren't going to have a hope of getting work at home any time soon. That's probably the most noticeable impact for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Yeap big time. Wages have been cut by 40% and have had to cut back on everything after wife lost her job as a care worker. Also one of my friends took his own life after losing everything including job,home and then family.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Yeap big time. Wages have been cut by 40% and have had to cut back on everything after wife lost her job as a care worker. Also one of my friends took his own life after losing everything including job,home and then family.

Jesus. I'm sorry to hear.

Is there an average age on boards? I think the recession hit people above 30 most, if you bought a house at the peak 2006/2007 you would be 30 now. A lot of the people commenting here are saying they are 25 or so - you would have been too young to get fully wrapped up in it.

One thing I slightly agree with the OP about is that people would probably be a bit better off if they found a way to stop worrying about the recession so much. So much negativity only makes bad problems worse.

However to say that people should "get over it"...

... "it" meaning years out of work, or not being able to buy petrol, or having your house taken from you, or not being able to afford medical insurance if you have a dependent who is seriously ill, or any of the other horrible situations that people find themselves in

... is just f*cking stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Dubit10 wrote: »

ive also found that im more aware for cries from friends, theres been alot of suicides in my area and one young lady took her life and she had 2 young children, terrible stuff, so when talking to friends you like to ask if their ok and if they need to talk about anything, i did all the right things financially and when i lost my job i was gutted, but could just about make ends meet on my stamps , i started thinking what other people must be going though knowing they cant make the bills balance!!!!

Theres always people to talk to and helplines folks , USE THEM
    and stay safe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Explanation.

Im just trying to gauge what percentage of the country are badly affected. Ive would reckon that its a minority.

I just didnt get around to buying a house in the boom years, not because I had some prescient foresight of a housing crash, but rather spent most of my twenties traveling and didnt get around to it. However I dont consider myself lucky, rather I consider people who dived in at that peak moment unlucky.

for the record im in my thirties.

Smugness at being lucky/fortunate probably isn't an advisable position to take.

Apart from those unfortunate enough to have bought a home at the height of the bubble, or borrowed for whatever reason, so many people have lost their income or had it slashed. Many others have suffered unforeseeable illnesses or accidents and now find they just can't make ends meet. Of course situations such as these are all consuming. I too have lost friends to suicide because of this recession and as a result am hyper aware of family and friends mental well-being.

Just hope you don't get an illness or injury rendering you incapable of providing for yourself, or you don't make a mistake in work and find yourself out on your ear, or that your home isn't found to be built on foundations of pyrite because with that attitude am not sure you'd cope too well.

However to say that people should "get over it"...

... is just f*cking stupid.

People need to move on instead of complaining all the time, make an effort to get back on their feet. You cant remain downtrodden forever, or maybe you can with a defeatist attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If the recession has taught us anything, it's that money is very, very important.

However, it is natural to take a simple concept such as money and make it complex in relation to it's importance.

There is simply a huge gap in the education system after all.

i.e. How to accumulate it, protect it and invest it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement