Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone else not notice or care about the recession?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I didn't benefit from the boom but I'm suffering because of the recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I do sort of notice it you know... like the way long since overpriced shìt gets ever more expensive whilst we get paid less - like the way my savings of three grand has dwindled to one. That was, and is, and seemingly ever will be.. the most telling factor for me.. personally...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johncdub

I was in the butchers today.

A middle aged man ahead of me asked for the cheapest minced steak. The butcher weighed it and gave him the price. He replied that he was surprised at the price. The butcher said, beef is expensive. There was a long silence, then the man said, I don't have enough money,do you have any chicken livers instead?

I walked home with tears in my eyes.

I don't know, it just got to me.

I think we really need to look out for each other during these times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

MadYaker wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you're saying, in my post above I didn't mean to suggest that the taxpayer would not have to take any more pressure if the world economy picked up, but it would help. In your previous you suggested that the state of the world economy made no difference to us, when in reality it does. It wouldn't solve all our problems but it would make a difference.

The recession hasn't had any serious effects on me, I'm a 21 year old student my parents are both highly qualified and have good jobs but they don't give me a cent or let me live at home so recession or no recession I'm still working nights/weekends to pay my way through college regardless.

well done to you.....walk proud..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

johncdub wrote: »
    I was in the butchers today.

A middle aged man ahead of me asked for the cheapest minced steak. The butcher weighed it and gave him the price. He replied that he was surprised at the price. The butcher said, beef is expensive. There was a long silence, then the man said, I don't have enough money,do you have any chicken livers instead?

I walked home with tears in my eyes.

I don't know, it just got to me.

I think we really need to look out for each other during these times

Chicken liver? Ugh, poor basterd would of been better looking in the bin.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I gave up the drink and smokes at the time the tiger collapsed so i hav'nt noticed anything except improvement in every area ..

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

Unfortunate ly for me I bought in the good times.Work dried up and I left the key in the door. 18 months on and haven't looked back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The people I notice it affecting tend to have bought a house at the wrong time and/or have kids.
    Some others were going to run into financial woes with or without a recession - credit cards are for grownups.
    The old lad with the chicken livers was to be seen in any shop even at the height of the non-existent "celtic tiger".
    Me, I'm perpetually broke....but luckily its just me in the pit, no little ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

No recession in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

you know it's funny.

The R only began to hit home in the last while. up til then, aint no thang.

kinda annoying

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Im on 144quid a week, that's not down to any recession, the buck stops with me. I want to make money some day, minimum wage would be great. I just have to get my act together. I'm new here, i don't wanna really get involved in much politics, it bores me, but there you are.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

most of our poverty these days is treadmill "My friends or Neighbours have this or that ..." My mobile is two years old and i'm embarrassed about it " I personally have always lived outside the margins and some that i know don't even have a mobile phone .Poverty was never a problem once i could manage the basics and had enough for a few cans and cigs when i used to drink .I was never bothered by the fact that i could'nt afford a holiday abroad or did'nt have a car or job but i embarrassed my relatives i believe . I saw peoples lives as madness 'with much method ' constantly tooing and frooing .People seem to be constantly looking forward to some event or getting ready for something .Like a date when you wonder if it's worth it .Plenty of hangovers are like that .Houses and Mortgages are the Prize Takers of the Trophy for lunacy .What do the materials cost ?....and spend decades paying for them . Many decades ago people built their own houses without lenders .I detest this age for complications it makes in peoples lives .There are Gombeens with bottomless pockets behind a lot of it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah I notice it - higher unemployment, rise in emigration, closed businesses, general discontent and the foreigners being blamed, piece of pee to get a taxi at night, unlike four years ago.

I'm personally grand though - and feel lucky. People who have been dealt a good hand these few years and therefore claim everything is grand and they're bored of the recession talk - lol. And the recession may be over, but there's the fallout to deal with now...

It isn't just a case of "I can't buy a new car every year", some people are genuinely struggling and didn't take the piss during the "boom".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

anhedonia wrote: »
    rollcall, anyone else not buy a ridiculously priced house in the boom years, and still have a job?

the IT sector hasnt been hit, so there must quite a few techies here on boards?

the recession is mentioned in nearly every thread I read, yawn, and Im thinking jesus get over it!

Anyone? Beuller?

This whole recession business is really getting old.

THANK YOU.

Never borrowed a penny during the boom. I just started a second business and going about my life as I always have.

My tip would be not watch the telly, listen to the radio or buy newspapers. You come to the realisation that people who are journalists/media are all mentally ill scum of no real value to humanity and they are the only ones reminding everyone else how serious politics is - when in reality it isn't.

You do not need either George Lee or a Goverment Press Release to govern your personal destiny as a human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

anhedonia wrote: »
    rollcall, anyone else not buy a ridiculously priced house in the boom years, and still have a job?

the IT sector hasnt been hit, so there must quite a few techies here on boards?

the recession is mentioned in nearly every thread I read, yawn, and Im thinking jesus get over it!

Anyone? Beuller?

This whole recession business is really getting old.

THANK YOU.

Never borrowed a penny during the boom. I just started a second business and going about my life as I always have.

My tip would be not watch the telly, listen to the radio or buy newspapers. You come to the realisation that people who are journalists/media are all mentally ill scum of no real value to humanity and they are the only ones reminding everyone else how serious politics is - when in reality it isn't.

You do not need either George Lee or a Goverment Press Release to govern your personal destiny as a human being.
    "I'm all right Jack - let them eat cake!"
    So... you're doing fine, therefore the recession is just spin from journalists? You should post proof of the mental illness they "all" have too.
    Self-absorbed isn't a great trait either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

No had a quality job through college got my dream job last year. Life is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

THANK YOU.

My tip would be not watch the telly, listen to the radio or buy newspapers.

Yeah, not sure what it is about the Irish psyche but there is always this drive towards pessimism and being miserable.

The Irish media (best avoided) are experts at latching on to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

in my game 'truck driving' non irish work for pittence and it's killing the industry,there rode to bits seeing it myself, managers take advantage of it crazy hours they dont give a fu/ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

That's pretty much how it is for everyone, always.

When people talk about booms or recessions they are talking about a large group of people. Like an entire country. It's an average of what most people are experiencing.

But what really impacts you - is on a much smaller level. My unemployment rate has always been either 0% or 100% - if I lose my job, it doesn't matter what the country's rate is - I'm immediately experiencing a financial depression.

This was in the US - but I purchased a house right after housing prices peaked. I sold it two years later for a big profit. That doesn't mean the media was LYING about the decline of housing prices; it means that the media is reporting on averages and medians experienced by large groups of people - whereas an individual is mostly concerned with his or her own economic situation.

Most people have enough foresight to realize that nobody and no industry is immune from downturns. When a country is in a recession with high unemployment it has a cascading effect on all of us. It's more likely that we'll find ourselves out of work, through no fault of our own, and it's more likely to be more difficult to find a new job when there are high rates of unemployment.

And then, some people, are just sympathetic and can 'care' about others. I don't have cancer, but I notice and care that other people do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement