Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom line only capable of 1 MB

Options
  • 23-04-2012 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,
    I have a few queries regarding the basic broadband package with Eircom.
    I was an Eircom customer a few years ago and I am now thinking of signing up again and getting the basic broadband package. I phoned the 1800 number and the customer support person said that our phone line could be reactivated. I asked him to do test on the line and he said that it was only capable of 1mb.
    We are only 3 miles from Crusheen and this is where the exchange box is.

When customer support are doing the speed test which part of the line are they testing e.g. the line from the pole to the exchange box or the line from our house to the exchange box? Because at the moment our line is not hooked up in the house and is outside in the yard. The line is over 10 years old so I’m wondering if we get a new line would that make a different? Also, do you know what the highest speed people are getting in the Crusheen area. What other ways can I increase my broadband speed?
    Thanks alot for your help.
    Emma

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

imogen47 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I have a few queries regarding the basic broadband package with Eircom.
    I was an Eircom customer a few years ago and I am now thinking of signing up again and getting the basic broadband package. I phoned the 1800 number and the customer support person said that our phone line could be reactivated. I asked him to do test on the line and he said that it was only capable of 1mb.
    We are only 3 miles from Crusheen and this is where the exchange box is.

When customer support are doing the speed test which part of the line are they testing e.g. the line from the pole to the exchange box or the line from our house to the exchange box? Because at the moment our line is not hooked up in the house and is outside in the yard. The line is over 10 years old so I’m wondering if we get a new line would that make a different? Also, do you know what the highest speed people are getting in the Crusheen area. What other ways can I increase my broadband speed?
    Thanks alot for your help.
    Emma

Hi Emma,

Thanks for your post.

Just to advise if you're not already aware:

ADSL is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading won't change the distance or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies. Please see the following website links for a fuller explanation on (i) common broadband terms and on (ii) how to possibly improve your broadband connection overall :

Common broadband terms

How to improve your broadband connection

If you suspect that your phoneline leading up to your house is faulty or needs repaired, just call into eircom Phoneline Faults : 1901 freefone.

eircom engineers will repair any fault found on your phoneline outside, leading up to your premises.

If you need help from Technical Support:

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 8am - 10pm (7 days).

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement