Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying manager ruining my job

Options
  • 23-04-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I started a new job a few weeks ago. It's a new service in the healthcare industry and I am part of a team of three. We are each contracted to work two and a half days a week and the wages are very low because of the lack of hours. It's a really enjoyable job though. My manager however is making me slowly hate it!

Twice now she has rang me on my days off and said that I was off for too many days in a row and would need to come in. She's the one who did up the rota. When I go in for a couple of hours on an extra day I lose my entitlement to sign for social welfare as it means I technically worked 4 days, even though it's only a couple of extra hours pay.

She forgot to pay the phone bill in the office and we have been cut off. We now have to use our own mobiles to call patients which I think is absolutely absurd. If they want to provide and pay for a work mobile fine. Otherwise I don't see why I should have to finance these calls.

As we are only a three person team we can be called in to cover shifts if someone is unwell. I have no problem with my manager calling me for this purpose. But she is on the phone to me pretty much every day that I am off. The really annoying part is that it's usually in relation to something that I have already explained to her during working hours.

I feel like she is being totally overbearing and expecting 24/7 access to us, even though we only get paid for 18 hours a week. Would I be within my rights to politely request that she backs off or would I be putting myself at risk of losing my job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Present a copy of your mobile phone bill and claim expenses for work calls. If they say no then stop using your mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just don't answer ...

Advertisement