Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in home-owner place

Options
  • 23-04-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Meeting a chap tonight and I am just wondering could people share their experience of living in home owner occupied place??

How should I approach tonight?

What are the major disadvantages?

Are you a tenant or a lodger? What is difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your major disadvantage when living with the owner is that it's his home and therefore his rules. If you don't like it, you can leave. You will very rarely find an owner-occupier who is willing to compromise on rules like smoking or watching TV at night and so forth. The owner will do whatever he likes, and you will do whatever he tells you.
    Though things like housework, food buying, etc are still usually shared.

The major advantage of living with an owner-occupier is that in general the maintenance work will always be done in good time, so you'll never find yourself waiting days for heating to be fixed, and so on.

When living with an owner-occupier, you are a lodger. This means that you are someone renting space in a person's home, and you effectively have no rights to notice. You have a general right to privacy (i.e. the owner cannot walk into your bedroom without your permission), but outside that the owner can ask you to leave at any time for any reason and with no notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

seamus wrote: »
    Your major disadvantage when living with the owner is that it's his home and therefore his rules. If you don't like it, you can leave. You will very rarely find an owner-occupier who is willing to compromise on rules like smoking or watching TV at night and so forth. The owner will do whatever he likes, and you will do whatever he tells you.
    Though things like housework, food buying, etc are still usually shared.

The major advantage of living with an owner-occupier is that in general the maintenance work will always be done in good time, so you'll never find yourself waiting days for heating to be fixed, and so on.

When living with an owner-occupier, you are a lodger. This means that you are someone renting space in a person's home, and you effectively have no rights to notice. You have a general right to privacy (i.e. the owner cannot walk into your bedroom without your permission), but outside that the owner can ask you to leave at any time for any reason and with no notice.

Ummmmm...His rules? A chap would hardly expect you to pay 600/700 Euro a month and decide what is on the TV every night??? That sounds very unreasonable.

I suppose the best policy is to meet chap and see what his ground rules are? See what he expects from the person that moves in?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Ummmmm...His rules? A chap would hardly expect you to pay 600/700 Euro a month and decide what is on the TV every night??? That sounds very unreasonable.

I suppose the best policy is to meet chap and see what his ground rules are? See what he expects from the person that moves in?

I wouldn't imagine there's many rooms averaging a tag of 700e a month.

If you want to watch what you want on TV buy a tv and put it in your room.

You're a lodger living in someone elses house, if you don't like it go rent an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

ntlbell wrote: »

You're a lodger living in someone elses house, if you don't like it go rent an apartment.[/QUOTE]

Calm down - I am just looking to discuss the issue and find out what people have experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ntlbell wrote: »

You're a lodger living in someone elses house, if you don't like it go rent an apartment.[/QUOTE]

Calm down - I am just looking to discuss the issue and find out what people have experienced.

I'm very clam, it's just the reality of the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I lived in an owner occupied place for a while and struck gold.

The guy and his wife were dead on, he owned a pub and she was a chef, this lead to lots of free drinks and awesome meals/cakes cooked up as experiments for the restaurant. Add in two massive tvs, Sky Sports/Movies, a separate living and dining room, a sauna, heated BBQ area and a once a week cleaner and it was the best place I've lived so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I lived in an owner occupied place for a while and struck gold.

The guy and his wife were dead on, he owned a pub and she was a chef, this lead to lots of free drinks and awesome meals/cakes cooked up as experiments for the restaurant. Add in two massive tvs, Sky Sports/Movies, a separate living and dining room, a sauna, heated BBQ area and a once a week cleaner and it was the best place I've lived so far!
    I was waiting for the best bit ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I am currently living as a lodger with the owner and his girlfriend. Personally, I like this type of arrangement compared to being a tenant with a lease.
    The house is well kept, heated and because there are no children, quiet. I don't have a TV of my own, but then, I don't watch TV very much. There is another lodger who stays about 4 nights a week. We all get on well - we cook our own meals at the times that suit us. Though a non smoker, the landlords smoke either outside or in the garage. There were no formal rules given except that I should give one month's notice. As for the price - I pay 250 euros per month (200 deposit) and that covers everything.

Check out my file here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

If you like walking on egg-shells then by all means be a lodger with the owner but your better off sharing with another person to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I didn't like living in owner occupied myself. Once I spilled nail varnish remover on a nice little side table. In rented accomodation the landlord would just take the damage out of deposit, no harm done. In the owner occupied I had pretty much destroyed something she had an attachment to. I felt really really bad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I guess it depends on the people, you'll get a pretty good idea what they're like when you view the room, if you'll get on. I'm currently trying to rent out a room in an owner occupied apartment, and really struggling! there's definitely a poor perception about living with an owner occupier, and probably understandably so, but the place I'm trying to rent out has the most easygoing guys ever living there, so it's really frustrating!

Advertisement