Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone vs Eircom

• 23-04-2012 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hello, im currently with Eircom broadband on 9mb download package, i want to switch to vadafone, cause im not using a telephone and obviously dont want to pay for the line rental. Vodafone has this option, to pay only for the broadband, without paying for the line rental, is this true? will i pay only for the broadband? and no line rental? how good is vodafone versus eircom? Should i switch just to save those 20 for line rental which i dont use, or stay with eircom cause they "MAYBE" will offer a fibre broadband soon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

lisij wrote: »
    Hello, im currently with Eircom broadband on 9mb download package, i want to switch to vadafone, cause im not using a telephone and obviously dont want to pay for the line rental. Vodafone has this option, to pay only for the broadband, without paying for the line rental, is this true? will i pay only for the broadband? and no line rental? how good is vodafone versus eircom? Should i switch just to save those 20 for line rental which i dont use, or stay with eircom cause they "MAYBE" will offer a fibre broadband soon?

if you have a telephone line you have to pay line rental, no exceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭lisij

bealtine wrote: »
    if you have a telephone line you have to pay line rental, no exceptions
    but im not using it, why i have to pay for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

you are using it...how do you think DSL gets to your house? magic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If you are going to save €20 a month then change,your speed won't change so no need to worry there.
    I have Vodafone at Home which costs €38 a month and can get 10mb,I have an offpeak calls bundle but I don't use the phone so my bill stays at €38
    .Eircom couldn't come near that price as line rental & VAT was extra with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd go with Digiweb it's not as much of a pain in the facking arse to get through to them.
    I've been with Eircom/Bt/Vodafone and won't go near any of them again except for BT if they ever make a come back.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    If you are going to save €20 a month then change,your speed won't change so no need to worry there.
    I have Vodafone at Home which costs €38 a month and can get 10mb,I have an offpeak calls bundle but I don't use the phone so my bill stays at €38
    .Eircom couldn't come near that price as line rental & VAT was extra with them.
    so with vodafone, i wont need to pay for the line rental right? is the price on their web site is the last price ,or theres a VAT to be included in to it? http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/ im interested in 52euro package, or might even 58euro if my line can handle 24mb or at least more than 9mb, those are the last prices i get in my bill?

I'd go with Digiweb it's not as much of a pain in the facking arse to get through to them.
    I've been with Eircom/Bt/Vodafone and won't go near any of them again except for BT if they ever make a come back.
    i think digiweb wont be able to get to me, i might be wrong will check that after

Vodafone own BT in this country.

Digiweb is expensive: Special Offer: €28.42 for First 3 Months. €35.53 per month thereafter.
    All prices include VAT. Active Telephone line required. Line rental €25.78 excluded from price.
    Prices effective 1st January 2012

That works out at over €60 a month for the 7mb package.:eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Check if you can get Smart new product, 24mb including line rental for €30 per month:

http://smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband.aspx

Also check if www.upc.ie is available at your place.

bk wrote: »
    Check if you can get Smart new product, 24mb including line rental for €30 per month:

http://smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband.aspx

Also check if www.upc.ie is available at your place.

no smarttelecom transfers me to digiweb, and upc is not yet available :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Vodafone are hardly going to launch fibre before eircom given that it's the eircom line you're on

and you'll have to pay line rental regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Djawl

I changed from Eircom to Smart and I am very happy. Happy with Smart that is, not so happy with Eircom for charging me for moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 borntofight

Word of advice and i hope to god you listen,stay the hell away from vodafone and just remember the €140 charge for leaving eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

No they dont... :S

To this day vodafone dont offer DSL without WLR (Line Rental) to their consumer customers. This might change in the future but for now it is not possible and you need to pay line rental. The option is there, and it has been available for years. In Vodafone, you will need to be a business customer to get this service.

Bohrio wrote: »
    No they dont... :S

They own the part that's relevant to us;)
    BT will transfer its consumer and small business broadband and voice customer base to Vodafone and will also provide wholesale network services to underpin Vodafone’s business over a seven-year period

http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/media/press/show/BAU005767.shtml?date=Wed+Jul+22+10%3A09%3A00+IST+2009

I have Vodafone & get 10mb for €38 a month including VAT & Line Rental,Eircom can't get near that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

no smarttelecom transfers me to digiweb, and upc is not yet available :(

Whoever you contact, make sure to ask them to do a line check for you. They will then be able to tell you the capacity of your line. If you are miles away from an exchange, then its very unlikely you will be able to get 24mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Line rental is already included in the €38 Vodafone bundle so yes you would be saving every month compared to eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

Digiweb is expensive: Special Offer: €28.42 for First 3 Months. €35.53 per month thereafter.
    All prices include VAT. Active Telephone line required. Line rental €25.78 excluded from price.
    Prices effective 1st January 2012

That works out at over €60 a month for the 7mb package.:eek:

Are you sure this is true?

I have just ordered Digiweb's Metro Express bundle, They will install an
    ariel/receiver on my roof which will wirelessly transmit broadband and calls
    so I don't require a phone line i'm assuming??

I've checked their website terms and conditions and has no mention of phone
    line or line rental?

They own the part that's relevant to us;)

http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/media/press/show/BAU005767.shtml?date=Wed+Jul+22+10%3A09%3A00+IST+2009

I have Vodafone & get 10mb for €38 a month including VAT & Line Rental,Eircom can't get near that price.

But they dont own BT they bought it off BT, Vodafone and BT are different companies.

BT "sold" their residential customer to Vodafone with the condition that, for a certain amount of time, Vodafone would use some of the services (fibre, DSLAMs, among many).

Although I get that it is easier to say they own BT rather than explaining the whole thing above! hehehe guess it works in a way ;_)

• Advertisement

Are you sure this is true?

I have just ordered Digiweb's Metro Express bundle, They will install an
    ariel/receiver on my roof which will wirelessly transmit broadband and calls
    so I don't require a phone line i'm assuming??

I've checked their website terms and conditions and has no mention of phone
    line or line rental?

Digiweb Metro is different from their DSL packages,not everyone can get the Metro service (which is excellent btw) and their other option is the DSL bundles which are expensive.

Advertisement