Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Bike

• 23-04-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭

I have a gs1200 Adventure and as much as I love it I miss my sports bike days. I'm thinking of getting a second bike max 4000 euro and max 750 engine size as I plan using it for the odd track day. I've driven plenty of 600 and 1000 super sports and just don't fancy a 1000 at the moment. I drove a sv 650 the other day and I was pleasantly surprised as to how good it was any toughs on them or any 600 suggestions. All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

In fairness, if you're any way decent a pilot, you'll do perfectly fine on a good 600 sports bike! I know a lad on a ZX6 who can leave litre bikes for dead!!

So, your options:

R6 - fantastic bike, but a bit too track focused to be any way comfy or forgiving on the road. Amazing engine though!

CBR600 - Honda reliability and build quality, and a great engine to boot! Top of the list I reckon.

ZX6 - Great bike, but not as good as the other two. You can get a bad one too, where your heart could be broke with one issue or the other.

GSXR600 - Another fantastic bike, I'd place this second after the CBR, but I know others wouldn't. Great bike all the same.

Happy hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Stumper931

I wouldnt go quite as far as saying decent but I normally keep it between the ditches. I have a soft spot for the Yamaha , Kawasaki and Suzuki the Honda im not as sure with I have driven them but they dont stir my sole in the same way maybe its so acomplished that it just doesnt do it for me. I agree the Yamaha is a very focused bike maybe a bit to focused for back road Ireland. Ive owned a 00 ZX 9 for 6 years and loved it never an ounce of trouble but no one I know has had a ZX6 so nothing to go by. I had a gsr 600 so Im drawn to the GSXR 600 most tbh. Any model year to avoid or a must have? Any other suggestions. Anyone any trackday advice for a newbie on a 600 super sport. I still love the exhaust note of those sv 650s though. Thanks Please kill Me for your advice.

Stumper931 wrote: »
    Ive owned a 00 ZX 9 for 6 years and loved it never an ounce of trouble but no one I know has had a ZX6 so nothing to go by. I had a gsr 600 so Im drawn to the GSXR 600 most tbh. Any model year to avoid or a must have? Any other suggestions. Anyone any trackday advice for a newbie on a 600 super sport. I still love the exhaust note of those sv 650s though. Thanks Please kill Me for your advice.

Likewise, have a 00 ZX9 at the minute, but had a 01 ZX6 for 18 months before that. I loved it, NEVER had a bit of trouble with it and I was on it every day!

The Gixxers are top class bikes. Anything from a K2 to a K6 would be decent enough TBH. Then again, they're not for everybody. Some people actually dislike them for different reasons.

The SV650 is a great bike too. Just need to keep an eye on the cam-chain tensioners. A couple of my mates had SV's and the tensioners went on both of them.

What kind of track day advice are you looking for? I've done a few. :D Actually, here's a pic of the last day I did a track day on the 9.... I'm no expert, but I have a fair idea.

201867.JPG

Ah the memories of the zx9. Same shape as mine E1 I take it. My one put manners on me a few years back after that I loved it though. Any and all advice would be welcome for the track days. Im gona be showing up on my own to a novice group but how novice is novice? Any do's and don'ts. Back to the bikes Im 5'10 find the newer 600s a bit tight you think the 9 is a bit big for mondello or would a litre bike be suitable for the newbie track day rider?

Stumper931 wrote: »
    Ah the memories of the zx9. Same shape as mine E1 I take it. My one put manners on me a few years back after that I loved it though. Any and all advice would be welcome for the track days. Im gona be showing up on my own to a novice group but how novice is novice? Any do's and don'ts. Back to the bikes Im 5'10 find the newer 600s a bit tight you think the 9 is a bit big for mondello or would a litre bike be suitable for the newbie track day rider?

Yeah, it's the E1 and I love it!! :cool:

The novice group is pretty divided. I'm six years riding and would be pretty quick to some of my peers, but I would be way behind others (who would be more experienced) and TBH, the first time I went into the novice class, it scared me a bit. I felt some of the lads would have fitted better in the Inters. Once I got into it and got quicker, I didn't feel it as much.

The next time I went, I had a ball! There was 30 bikes and we were split into three groups of 10. I intentionally went out last, in the third group and by the end had caught the back lads in the second group. I'm just trying to paint a picture of the "skill level" of the lads in the novice group.

It depends on the kind of rider you are. If you're quick, and confident - you'll be grand. If you're easily shaken and too nervous, it's not for you. I really, really don't want to put you off, but I know lads who just signed up for a track day thinking it was piss easy cos they're quick on the road, only to find they're not as good as they think they are!

Sorry, don't mean to go on, but here's something for you....

1. Check your bike thoroughly before you head off
    This includes tyre wear, fluid levels, brake pads etc…, you’ll be asking a lot more of it than usual and you need to be sure it’s in good trim.

2. Fuel up before you arrive
    Some tracks only sell fuel at specific times and you don’t want to end up sidelined with an empty tank.

3. Tyre pressures are vital
    You should lower them for the track, e.g. road pressures R42 F36 become track pressures R29 F31. Notice that the rear is lower than the front. The organisers should remind you of this and may even do it for you, but don’t forget to inflate again before you leave!

4. Drink a lot of water
    You will sweat and dehydrate quicker than usual in the intense sessions, drinking more water will keep you alert and refuelled.

5. Warm your tyres up for 2 to 3 laps...
    ...before you start to go faster and increase your corner speeds. The heat of your tyres will make a dramatic difference to their ability to grip the track.

6. Ask questions
    The instructors and marshals are there to help and are usually happy to give you advice or even help you out on the track.

7. You don’t have to stay out for the full 20 minutes of each session
    Over the day you may do 70+ miles of riding, that’s 2 or 3 Moto GPs so there’s no shame in taking a break!

8. Speed comes from being smooth, not manic
    The quickest riders make it look easy because they’re following the right lines and not wasting energy in the wrong direction.

9. Don’t be scared of tyre snots
    Don't worry if the surface of your tyres looks like a peeling onion after a few sessions, the heat and friction of the track can have quite a dramatic effect on the consistency of the rubber. If you’re concerned you can always ask the organisers for advice.

10. Be calm
    There’s no need to rush. Go at your own pace and work on your own skills, you’re there to learn and enjoy yourself. This is a track day, not a race meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

GSXR-750 ... plenty of bargains to be had

@ Stumper - as an aside, if/when you're doing a track day, let me know and I can meet you up there. No harm having moral support. I can bring a set of tyre warmers too, believe me, they help!! :) Just an offer, no pressure or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Have you considered a Triumph Daytona 675 Triple?
    Beautiful bike in my opinion and rated quite highly in any review I seen.
    Might be on the fringes of your budget but I doubt youd meet many on the road or track.

scudster wrote: »
    Have you considered a Triumph Daytona 675 Triple?
    Beautiful bike in my opinion and rated quite highly in any review I seen.

Actually, yes! The 675 is a pretty decent bike too. Haven't heard anything bad about them anyway! As for the 675R!! Mmmmmmm.... :D

27624.jpg

Thanks for the track advice. Im not the worlds greatest rider but im not a nervous rider. I guess the whole how fast is to fast in a corner thing makes me a bit hesitant but not nervous. Ya a gsxr 750 could be the best compramise between litre road bike and 600 track day bike.

• Advertisement

Those daytona's are sweet probably a stretch but who knows I may get lucky :D. Cheers for the offer on a track day cant beat a bit of moral support? Looking at pics of lads at track days it seems to be a bit of everything on the track even seen a few gs 1200!! not what id consider track day material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

ducati 748
    ducati 749

might even get a 748r or sps for ur budget

Advertisement