Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robots wanted for Lazy Irishman

• 23-04-2012 1:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

The chores are split in half in my dwelling.

I do the hoovering and the garden.
    The missus does the washing & ironing.

I want to impress her with my laziness in relation to my chores and I'm in the market for a robot mower & a robot hoover.

I am just wondering has anybody here got any expierience with these devices and are they any good ?

Are some brands better than others and if so please let me know your experience's or are they crap altogether ?

Here is 1 example of a robot hoover I am looking into :

And here is 1 example of a mower I am also looking into :

so AH let me know if you've had experience with the above devices / products as I am in the market.

Also if you know of any other devices that can take chores away from me then let me know, this is an important man thread and should be treated as such..

PS - I already know about the non-iron shirts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Skynet etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

A handgun is a handy replacement for a television remote:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Go Go Gadget arms.................Slaps her on the arse for making a nice dinner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

A pal of mine has a robot vacuum sleaner, think it's an iRobot, she told me it is great for moving dirt around the room!

The robot lawnmowers can need a fair bit of maintenance & looking after but they are an interesting talking point with your mates over beers.

Hey be careful the OH doesn't replace you with something mechanical and automated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

become mormon and get another wife, split the tasks between them equally, problem solved :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

davet82 wrote: »
    become mormon and get another wife, split the tasks between them equally, problem solved :cool:

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just buy a lamb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

deandean wrote: »
    A pal of mine has a robot vacuum sleaner, think it's an iRobot, she told me it is great for moving dirt around the room!

The robot lawnmowers can need a fair bit of maintenance & looking after but they are an interesting talking point with your mates over beers.

Hey be careful the OH doesn't replace you with something mechanical and automated :D

So - they just move dirt around ?
    this is unacceptable that such a product be released onto the market tickling my fancy and offering me hope of no more hoovering and then it doesn't work ?

this is awful

Another wife will also mean twice the trouble.
    A lamb may also be good at eating crumbs on my carpet, but wouldn't it leave even worse brown stains that what was already there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    A lamb may also be good at eating crumbs on my carpet, but wouldn't it leave even worse brown stains that what was already there ?
    No, that's called fertilizer. It's also not a sloppy meat eating poo, it's generally a hard little ball. You could double up on it's usefulness by teaching it schutzhund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Another wife will also mean twice the trouble.

also means twice the sex!...

but on the other hand it would probably still be only half the sex even with two wives than a girlfriend :(

sorry i couldnt help :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Warning: may cause jealousy and emasculation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭zac8

I got my wife a Roomba 770 for Christmas. It's great cos I can schedule it to run when I'm not in the house instead of her hoovering under my feet when I'm hungover. Best present she ever got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Two words: Helper monkey.

Problem solved!

zac8 wrote: »
    I got my wife a Roomba 770 for Christmas. It's great cos I can schedule it to run when I'm not in the house instead of her hoovering under my feet when I'm hungover. Best present she ever got.

Zac - is it any use or does it just move dirt around as another poster above mentioned.

Do you have wooden floors, tiled or carpets ?
    Is it any good across all 3 surfaces or only 1

etc
    etc

thnx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭zac8

Zac - is it any use or does it just move dirt around as another poster above mentioned.

Do you have wooden floors, tiled or carpets ?
    Is it any good across all 3 surfaces or only 1

etc
    etc

thnx

It definitely works. We have wooden & carpet floors and it works great on both. We have a dog and the 770 picks up all the dog hair too. Sure just check out the reviews on Amazon.

I think the 700 series is the latest one. Maybe older models weren't so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I had a roomba - got it about 3 years ago.
    It was great on hard floors - tiles, wood - I don't have carpets.
    It was great for under beds and tables - did a better job than me!
    After 3 years - the navigation on it went funny , we moved to a house with carpets - so I didn't fix it. But it was great while it lasted.

I saw this article about the Roomba - not sure if the links are out of date or not.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/the-irobot-roomba-cleans-while-you-work.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Put down paving slabs. No lawn means no mowing.

Or have a kid. You could train it to do menial jobs.

Cool - thnx for the replies all.

Thnx for the info Zac8, I'll deffo be checking out the 700 series one you have mentioned above.

I'm impressed it picked up dog hair as well.

Any other hardware out there that can make us males lives easier ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The place I was renting in Vancouver had a robot Hoover. He was my Japanese landlord's cast off. I miss the the little guy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 andrew88

Don't do it!!

The dealer here quotes "running cost from E7/year" but......

Mine needed a wheel motor replaced. Fortunately under warranty. Now only 3 years old it needs another one - cost about E265.

But the dealer wants is serviced first, apparently this should be done once a season or every other season, cost E195.

This is more than the main dealer cost for my car! And service plus motor cost about half the price of a new machine.

My petrol mower (for parts the robot can't reach) cost E55 for service and new head gasket. Compared to running costs of robot I can pay someone to come and cut my lawn and still be quids in.

Advertisement